NATS 2020 F5J Results and Photos

Today kicked off the 2020 NATS F5J two day contest and it was a great day for soaring. The weather was just about perfect with fairly light winds that picked up in the afternoon, puffy clouds, good air and bad air too.

Splash

NATS 2020 F5J

Today kicked off the 2020 NATS F5J two day contest and it was a great day for soaring. The weather was just about perfect with fairly light winds that picked up in the afternoon, puffy clouds, good air and bad air too. We got off 6 rounds before the end of the day with over 40 pilots in 6 flight groups. The contest is running smoothly and we are having a blast! Entering your scores with our phones is working out great and it's nice to see how you did compared to your flight group shortly after the flight. There are a lot of top level pilots and every flight group has guys that can bury you if you don't watch out. Fun stuff!!

Here's where the scores sit after round 6 with 1 drop round. Click the photo below to see the full image.

Oleg is in first because of course he is, but he's sitting on a 0 drop round making his day pretty tough tomorrow. The weather looks like it will be Muncie Madness tomorrow with thunderstorms in the forecast along with "strong and gusty winds" so I expect some big shifts in the rankings. If the weather works out, we'll take the top 9 from the prelims and go to fly off rounds to determine the winners. Enjoy the photos and we'll see you guys in the morning!!

Last edited by RCG_Jason; Jul 26, 2020 at 08:10 PM..
Jul 26, 2020, 09:15 PM
Tragic case
good report
Jul 26, 2020, 11:45 PM
VHO
VHO
glider misguider
It's better than Good, David.

It's cold, WINDY and raining where I am.
This report shows me that there is hope that the world will get better.

Thanks Jason, look forward to tonight's report.
Jul 27, 2020, 07:20 AM
Great report Jason, thank you!
Jul 27, 2020, 09:31 AM
Keep up the good flying Jason.
Jul 27, 2020, 10:02 AM
Please tell the guy with the Radian XL that I'm rooting for him!
Jul 27, 2020, 10:10 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Good luck JC!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 27, 2020, 10:19 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Who's that skinny dude timing for Gavin?
Jul 27, 2020, 11:33 AM
Pure soaring - no motor
what are the f5J heights?
Jul 27, 2020, 11:56 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Bernd, go to Gliderscore online scores , then select "F5J NATS" then select the Flight Scores tab. From there you can choose any round that will show you the group-by-group details that include launch heights. These are the real-time scores.
--Chris
Jul 27, 2020, 12:07 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Odd. I didn't go to NATs but I logged flight times in F5J?
Jul 27, 2020, 12:43 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Break for (Muncie) weather.
The car is shaking from the wind.
Lightning and thunder.
F5j flyoffs are not likely to happen
Jul 27, 2020, 12:46 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Oleg my son and I were just talking yesterday about the night in F3K when the storms came in a couple of years ago and all of our tents collapsed. I'll never forget seeing you scramble out of the tent and "fit" yourself quickly and neatly into the back of the Volvo.

Seems like Muncie always gets one in...
Jul 27, 2020, 01:53 PM
RC Sailplane Pilot
I posted this in the main Nats thread but my daughter and I had a great at the F5J Nats. Thanks to the contest organizers. After the final prelim round we went to get lunch and got rained on as we were eating in the car so decided not to go back to watch the flyoffs. I hope that nobody had damage from the storm.

I didn’t get around to uploading my videos from yesterday. Here are the 2 hat I took yesterday:

F5J launching at 2020 US Nationals (0 min 14 sec)

F5J landing at 2020 US Nationals (0 min 9 sec)

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons

Quick Reply