View Poll Results: Would you print a larger, single fan version of this design? And if so, what sizes:
1.25 m, 4S, 64 mm fan 11 19.64%
1.4 m, 4S, 70 mm fan 19 33.93%
1.4 m, 6S, 70 mm fan 11 19.64%
1.6 m, 6S, 80 mm fan 13 23.21%
1.8 m, 6S, 90 mm fan 8 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Mk9, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2020, 09:03 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Build Log

3D Printed EDF Avro Vulcan. 1m span, FMS 50mm EDF

The Avro Vulcan is a cold war era British delta wing design, much loved by most who ever saw one fly.

It’s a special design for me because my Dad flew them, and some of my earliest memories as a child are the howl of the four Olympus motors - derivatives of which went onto power Concorde. A Vulcan full power take-off, climb out and bank at an air-display truly was a sight and sound to behold.

Living in Australia, seeing a flying Vulcan has not been possible for decades, but on a visit to the UK relies a few years ago (remember international air travel?!) I dragged my young son to one of the last displays that XH558 ever did. On our last visit we also visited the IWM and saw theirs up close. I think it worked, because now he likes the Vulcan too

There have been lots of RC variants over the years, but true scale versions seem to be either:
• Huge turbine beasts which are super impressive, but super expensive and not very practical at a small field – or even in the average family home come to that!
• PSS Gliders – which are great, but need a decent slope.
• Pusher models, which can be done at any scale, are supremely practical, but involve a certain amount of scale sacrifice I can’t ever quite ignore.

I've been rambling about trying to design a foam parkflyer version for ages. My son, who is only 13, decided that he would design a 3D printable EDF one. I did my best to tell him that would be ‘quite hard’, but he was determined, so I provided funds for the EDF and the radio gear and together we figured out some of the practicalities like wing loadings and intended size.
We settled on PLA, around 1m wing span with an FMS 50mm fan running on 3S.

Suddenly sections of delta wing started to appear and the whole thing seemed to be evolving into a genuine possibility.

Anyway, not only does it fly – but it flies very, very well. A 1m span, 3S EDF Vulcan that you can 3D print and build as either an unpowered slope glider, or as a small EDF belly lander to fly down the Park. What’s not to like?

Enjoy the awesome vids from my kind clubmate MrWaz who must spend longer videoing our planes than he does flying his own - and others now from around the world. Or browse youtube for some footage of the real thing. His does sound like a jet, and it moves just like the full size - but to really sound like a full-size Vulcan, you have to have a full size Vulcan in the air, and that is something that will never happen again.

Paid STLs and Build Guide available here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...ale-950mm-span
Free build guide to show you what you are in for here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...ale-950mm-span

Quick technical specs:
You will need an FMS 50mm EDF for 3S - these are pretty cheap and plenty powerful. There are other options if you want to experiment, but the STLs are designed around the FMS units which really have been very consistent for us. FMS online store will ship you them if you email and ask them nicely, if their webstore is not shipping.

You will need two short lengths of 6mm carbon tube/rod for wing spars, a standard 1m length is plenty, but you will need to cut to length.
Disc magnets to hold the wings on - you could glue the wings on, but detachable makes it easier to transport, and offers repair options if your landing ground is rough or your launch less than perfect!
Two 9g servos and some extension wire. Four of them if you want independent surface movement, not worth the weight really, but mechanically simpler.
A 40A ESC.
A 3S battery around 1500mah to 2200mah max and with a high C rating for hand-launching, WOT is around 35A.
Cyano hinges for PLA control surfaces or blenderm tape for Depron control surfaces.
PLA and a 3D printer, this has been done on a CR-10, Prusia etc will no doubt look better, but you have more parts to print and so will gain a few grams.
Cyano glue and kicker - we use the Hobbyking stuff as recommended by 3DLabPrint.
Radio gear (duh!).
Obviously, for the PSS version you can skip the power train

Note you can use the FMS 4S fan, but the 3S has plenty of power.

Plenty have now flown, four in our club, several elsewhere, several others are built awaiting a maiden or in progress. But it's not completely plane sailing yet, the weight on the EDF version needs to be kept down for hand-launching, and the design does that by using thin wall printing that does warp/tin-can slightly. It's quite noticeable close up, but not really in flight at all. But this remains a design I'd be wary of promoting to someone who has not successfully 3D printed an aircraft yet.
1. Dominc’s, the original – see Post #4 below
2. MrWaz’s:
My 3d-printed Avro Vulcan maiden flight (3 min 40 sec)

3. Mine:
Third 3d-printed RC Vulcan maiden flight (4 min 52 sec)

4. Lomcevak:
3D Printed Avro Vulcan Maiden Flight (3 min 2 sec)

5. ExtremeSports maiden:
Vulcan demise (0 min 44 sec)
and with landing:
Vulcan Maiden (3 min 31 sec)

6. AirSally’s: First Rise-off-ground take off!
3D printed Avro Vulcan bomber (1m wingspan) with FMS 50mm EDF - SUPER COOL! (5 min 50 sec)

7. Geoff’s:
Fourth RC EDF Vulcan maiden flight (3 min 2 sec)

8. Tooly: no permanent URL for video, but check out post 807: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=807
9. AbrubtLander: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK90SPyLzlP/
10. gke get's first pusher version:
20210317 3D Printed Vulcan B2 Second Flight @ VARMS (2 min 8 sec)

11. Woodbug's, with a really great 'how to' build log too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yard7-3Art0
12. Neddiford's, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohn8z75goa...10006.MP4?dl=0
13. Thoemse:
Avro Vulcan hand launch. (0 min 4 sec)
Last edited by Mk9; May 04, 2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added pics; added link to STLs; deleted obsolete manual, follow the link.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2020, 09:07 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
About the limit of my input to the project was persuading him to build a glider version first. I figured with enough wind, almost anything will fly, and we would learn a lot about control with the airframe as light as possible.
Here is the maiden at our local Park...it wasn't the best start, and to me, in spite of the hiccup caused by a magnet we hadn't bother to superglue in (!), was a concern - it didn't seem to be a feather, and this was without the weight of an EDF, ESC and flight battery...
Thanks to my wife for recording it, and MrWaz for hosting:
Dom's self designed 3d-printed Vulcan project gliding trials (0 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Mk9; Jul 26, 2020 at 09:40 AM.
Jul 26, 2020, 09:28 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Next up was to chuck it off a slope. We partook of some 'essential exercise' during Covid lockdown - which Western Australia was very lucky to escape mostly - to do a proper maiden, which was a raring success by any standard:
Dom's 3d-printed Vulcan slope soarer maiden (2 min 19 sec)
Jul 26, 2020, 09:38 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
He's designed it from the outset to be able to do both PSS or EDF with the same airframe, and so has a simple way to swap out the EDF. So before long we were ready for a maiden from a flat field. It's pretty heavy - nearly 1kg, and with absolutley no real idea of how things would go, we decided to fly at out nearby lake where there is plenty of space.

He was so nervous (you can see the plane twitching from his shaking fingers)! But yet again, he had nothing to worry about. In fact, this plane will fly waaaay slower than this vid shows, but we still haven't got a good video of it showing that, we've been short of really nice flying days recently.

Thanks to MrWaz11 for capturing what was a really memorable day for both of us!
3d-printed EDF Avro Vulcan maiden (4 min 28 sec)
Jul 26, 2020, 11:07 AM
Outstanding work ! well done. .
Encouraging to see that printed is spreading wider .. constantly.
Also refreshing to see a model without interminable 'opinions' re bifurcated outlets/ single multiple fans...
Only niggle would be the filament colour. But then easy to see has value as well
Looking forward to the STL's.
Jul 26, 2020, 11:15 AM
Pro Hoarder
Really nice work....Amazing its his first edf project..congratulation
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 26, 2020, 11:23 AM
Really nice model, congratulations.
Jul 26, 2020, 02:50 PM
Into the burning blue
Great effort Dom, well done!

Alec
Jul 26, 2020, 03:59 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
That is some very nice work there! Love how you managed the way you made use of a single EDF and distributed it to the 4 jet pipes. The model seems to fly very good also.

Again , great work!

Bart
Jul 26, 2020, 06:42 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Wow. Just wow. That is one very talented young man you have there. Good job, Dad (and Mom)!

Steve
Jul 26, 2020, 09:25 PM
I have a 2m Vulcan w/4 70mm fans. While it takes all four to take off from grass I routinely fly it with two switched off and found out the hard way it can fly on only one. The Vulcan is just a great platform.
Jul 26, 2020, 09:36 PM
Given the speed that single erm... mid level.. FMS 50mm fan flies that printed model on a smallish pack no less
.The Kid has simply outclassed larger hugely more complex 'trad' builds.
. Future is clearly with the younger. minds..neatly sidestepping us doddering 'old guys'
Last edited by Bare; Jul 26, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Jul 27, 2020, 06:49 AM
Subbed. Only last week, I was thinking about a PSS Vulcan!
Jul 27, 2020, 08:07 AM
Retired CAD guy
Brilliant !

This will be done in LW-PLA at my end !
And I already Have some FMS 50mm EDF's from Eclipson projects.

I've been thinking about doing werzey's WildeHummel, but, I may just wait for this instead.

That appeared to be quite a Stiff Breeze in the sloping Vid.
If I may ask, Where were you when that was filmed ?
Jul 27, 2020, 08:50 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Thanks guys! I'll pass those compliments on - he's nearly old enough to have his own account
Only down side of youth is he can't really comprehend just what he's managed to achieve.

You can see from the maiden landing just how much extra speed it's carrying - it's just a very slippery airframe as you pointed out pmullen (love yours btw!). He's now enabled 'brake' on the ESC to help do a reasonable descent.

Quick Reply