Aug 15, 2020, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Got it back together all but the new piston sleeve. Didn't want to spend the money. Looks good after a close inspection

Bought some Traxxas heavy duty glow plugs and ran 2 tanks. Plugs looks great still.

I really see the point in very small adjustments on the needles now.

Thanks for all the tips
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2020, 06:21 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i
Got it back together all but the new piston sleeve. Didn't want to spend the money. Looks good after a close inspection

Bought some Traxxas heavy duty glow plugs and ran 2 tanks. Plugs looks great still.

I really see the point in very small adjustments on the needles now.

Thanks for all the tips
Yes. Small adjustments are critical. 1/16th of a turn is usually regarded as a big adjustment. From one extreme in temp/humidity to the other should only warrant a max of 1/16th of a turn, typically.
Oct 12, 2021, 09:45 PM
I saw this article and decided to read it. I ordered an older nitro rustler 2.5 and waiting for it to get here. I have had one nitro plane and could tune it alright. I didn't fly it much and just barely figured out how to tune it. This will be my first nitro CAR so I'm hoping I get the hang of it, the info from this article seemed pretty helpful. I have experience with electric so it's just the nitro I'm worried about. It will be used when I get it, and am planning on going to the LHS the day before it gets here to get fuel, plug, and EZ start box thing. I've heard a lot of different things about nitro RC, and am kinda confused lol, but I was kind of wondering about the AFTER RUN care for this engine? Should I put oil or something down the cylinder? Or just let the oil in the fuel do it?
Oct 13, 2021, 06:13 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
You have opened Pandora’s Box of RC Car questions. LoL. Here is my initial advice (and I’ll be happy to advise you and help you with anything you need; there aren’t but a couple nitro truck guys here willing to help. ).. Being NEW to nitro trucks and buying a USED truck with a USED engine is by far the biggest gamble. Nitro trucks are often purchased by rookies and they often destroy the engine in the process. SO... I would recommend expecting to buy a new engine right off the bat. You can try the engine they is in the truck, which could potentially be fine, but until it’s in hand and you can physically touch it and mess with it, you just don’t know. IF you do opt for a new engine, I would opt for a Novarossi .15 firstly or a Dynamite .19T secondly. Better engines than the stock Traxxas 2.5, with the Nova being (the better choice for many reasons) so easy to tune, a brain dead slug could tune it.

I’ll go into my tuning procedure stuff and after run care when I have more time. I’m off to work.
Oct 13, 2021, 08:54 PM
Oh cool! Thanks for the advice!!I'm HOPING the engine will be ok for awhile, but with the hobby, there isnt any gurranentees. I will check out those engines and prices soon, just in case this engine is garbage.
Oct 15, 2021, 10:10 PM
I find more of the dynamite .28 than the 19...
Oct 16, 2021, 08:27 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben h.
I find more of the dynamite .28 than the 19...
The .28 wonít work. Keep your eyes open for the .19T. Itís a pretty decent engine. The Novarossi 2.5SC (.15ci) is a much better engine though.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:54 PM
Ok thanks
Oct 19, 2021, 10:06 PM
This is it
Oct 19, 2021, 10:45 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Looks nice! The radio is old 27MHz AM band - I would replace this with a modern 2.4GHz or Synthesized FM radio. The engine looks good - it’s a 2.5R (the blue head is the R and the only thing different from the regular 2.5 is the blue head). Should run a d drive nicely if the engine is in good mechanical condition. I’d pull the backplate off and get a look inside. Post pics and I’ll try to help you out assessing the condition.
Oct 20, 2021, 08:36 PM
Yep, the 27mhz, I will live with it for now and upgrade later on if j get tired of it. For me, it's not a huge issue at the moment. Ahh I was wondering why the head was blue... What is the backplate?
Oct 20, 2021, 10:13 PM
Also I'm out of glow plugs, I burnt my brand new one up and a few old ones I had laying around. I also got the ez start want and have 33% fuel and everything I need besides the plugs. Should be getting some soon
Oct 21, 2021, 06:07 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
If you have Traxxas fuel, don’t bother opening it and go exchange it for something else. Traxxas fuel is junk. O’Donnell’s, Trinity, and Blue Thunder are much better. You want 20% nitro 12% oil that’s castor/synthetic blended. Use a medium heat long reach glow plug.
Oct 21, 2021, 09:27 PM
Well I didn't want the teaxxas fuel, but the only car fuel they had was Traxxas so I only have a quart of that, next time I will buy something better
Oct 21, 2021, 11:25 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben h.
Well I didn't want the teaxxas fuel, but the only car fuel they had was Traxxas so I only have a quart of that, next time I will buy something better
You will struggle to tune the engine properly with their fuel. Itís got 16% oil which makes the engine run hot when tuned to get decent performance. 33% nitro is way overkill too. I break my engines in on 10% for half gallon, 15% for a quart, and 20% from there on. 30% doesnít yield much better power or tuning; it just burns faster and costs a lot more. Just trying to save you some headaches with tuning which is the hardest part of nitro trucks. I mix my own fuel and have for 6-7 years. A friend of mine was using Traxxas fuel in his T-Maxx with 3.3 engine. He was having fits getting it to run right. I spent some time running it and tuning it in, and it ran okay, but not what a3.3 should be. Dumped his fuel out and put a tank of my fuel in it; quite literally within 10 seconds of firing it back up on the new fuel, he commented that the engine never sounded that smooth and I had it tuned in about a minute running like a Swiss watch. He asked what my secret was, and I told him there was no secret. Just methanol, oil (I use a blend of virgin castor oil and Klotz Techniplate), and Nitromethane. Itís all about the component ratios.

Quick Reply