Jul 25, 2020, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

INAV for fixed wing

Hey all, we've been working for the past two years to help make INAV for fixed-wing easier to get into. We're a group of enthusiasts with around 4000 people worldwide. This is our resource website, should you be interested.

www.INAVFixedWingGroup.com

We have a lot of success in helping people get started. If you have experience building and flying quads you have a head start. if you know how to fly LOS you are better off long term.

Mostly what we focus on is FPV fixed-wing pilots. I am working on some articles to explain how to get started for LOS pilots who don't want to go full FPV but would like the benefits of stabilized flight and return to home.

If you've been flying FPV with planes without a flight controller, you're gonna love this! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2020, 11:02 PM
I have numerous fixed wing FPV INAV airplanes that an expert but together for me (I paid him). Now I want to get independent of him and learn how to do it my self. I need help.
Jul 27, 2020, 12:08 PM
fly by night
there is also the Inav Fixed Wing Group .. on that other major social network which cannot be named here. RCGroups is easier for researching INAV topics within threads, but the F B gets you instant response to questions. I just add the word 'rcgroups' for a topic I am trying to learn about while searching on google
Jul 27, 2020, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepecheModem
Hey all, we've been working for the past two years to help make INAV for fixed-wing easier to get into. We're a group of enthusiasts with around 4000 people worldwide. This is our resource website, should you be interested.

We have a lot of success in helping people get started. If you have experience building and flying quads you have a head start. if you know how to fly LOS you are better off long term.

Mostly what we focus on is FPV fixed-wing pilots. I am working on some articles to explain how to get started for LOS pilots who don't want to go full FPV but would like the benefits of stabilized flight and return to home.

If you've been flying FPV with planes without a flight controller, you're gonna love this! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
That is a very nice site. People like me switching from Vector or similar to inav to get an osd for Dji video need as much help as we can get. Thanks.
Jul 27, 2020, 01:42 PM

Last edited by 5 oclock charlie; Jul 28, 2020 at 07:59 PM.
Jul 27, 2020, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreskin
....People like me switching from Vector or similar to inav to get an osd for Dji video need as much help as we can get. Thanks.
Snap! Exactly my position.
Jul 27, 2020, 03:24 PM
fly by night
for starters .. need the latest versions of iNav and DJIFPV for the OSD to work correctly. And there are still a number of features you can't access with the DJI-iNav/Betaflight OSD, so it will be wise to look into SpeedyBee OTG/USB/Wifi to be able to make settings changes at the field using a smartphone. In some ways I think it would be easier to learn to use iNav using analog video for a while - (but maybe that is just because I am most familiar with it that way? I now use DJI FPV with iNav and Betaflight)
Aug 10, 2020, 07:32 PM
Thread OP

That's all our resources and entry into our group.
Aug 10, 2020, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the group is going great. I think I saw that there was an INAV Fixed Wing section in the RC Groups at one point. Anyway, we'd love to have you. Our resources are www.INAVFixedWingGroup.com. One of the members of our group ported over the DJI goggle to INAV. He did it in his spare time around the holidays last year
Aug 10, 2020, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
for starters .. need the latest versions of iNav and DJIFPV for the OSD to work correctly. And there are still a number of features you can't access with the DJI-iNav/Betaflight OSD, so it will be wise to look into SpeedyBee OTG/USB/Wifi to be able to make settings changes at the field using a smartphone. In some ways I think it would be easier to learn to use iNav using analog video for a while - (but maybe that is just because I am most familiar with it that way? I now use DJI FPV with iNav and Betaflight)
I agree on flying analog first. I have four inav planes and converted two to DJI. My first DJI video setup was a mini quad on Betaflight which was straight forward. One of the DJI planes has a tail/rudder/elevator and I haven’t got it flying as well as the wings but it’s coming along. Earlier on, my first mistake was having manual as no switch on so I never had acro or air which what I always use now.
Oct 10, 2020, 01:35 PM
Launch the drones ...
Oh- what the heck.
Last edited by Tim Green; Oct 10, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Oct 10, 2020, 02:03 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
This guy - Steve Schlesinger - he blocked from his FB INAV fixed wing group - because I had a Biden 2020 icon. Didn't give me the opportunity to change it to something else - but instead made up some stuff I never did - then blocked me - and confessed it was really for political reasons, in FB msgr. Small world Steve.
he hates ama zon too lol. ok wanna play in his sandbox, follow his rules I guess.

but also when I think about it, I find that I like having these groups without any political messaging going on. Just focus on the hobby and not have reasons to hate each other intruding on the fun.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 10, 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Dec 14, 2020, 11:09 AM
Am I crazy or everyone else?
Where is the proper place to ask questions? I've installed both the pro and standard models on my TX16S and have iNavFlight/LuaTelemetry configured. It all seems to be working. I will be flying with the standard model.

Five years ago I flew a tricopter and several fixed wing models with Ardupilot. I know how to properly configure a new model and am conversant with OpenTX.

I've followed the guide here: https://inavfixedwinggroup.com/guide...hooting-guide/ and all seems to be good. I am using a genuine Matek F405-Wing in a Crashtest Hobbies Gladiator XL. I've updated to 2.6 firmware and I'm using Inav Configurator 2.6.0. Both servos work and both motors calibrated and spin. I have a good GPS lock and all pre-arming checks are green. I reconfigured a set of old Mavlink radios and have a wireless connection to the flight controller.

When I plug the battery in, lower the throttle, and arm the model with SF, the radio announced twice that the engines are armed and then announces angle mode, even though the switches are set to manual. Inav seems good. See attached photo. Sometimes, after a time, the model will arm and I can change flight modes and spin up the props. This can be confirmed with the lua telemetry script.

I've been sitting here testing out what it takes to arm. Is it normal for the model to take several minutes to arm and require a flick of the aileron control? That seems to be what it is requiring.

I really like the work you have done over at InavFixedWingGroup. May I suggest that you turn on comments, or create another way for your community to ask questions and interact. Or, did I just find it here?
Dec 14, 2020, 12:00 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieFL
Where is the proper place to ask questions? I've installed both the pro and standard models on my TX16S and have iNavFlight/LuaTelemetry configured. It all seems to be working. I will be flying with the standard model.

Five years ago I flew a tricopter and several fixed wing models with Ardupilot. I know how to properly configure a new model and am conversant with OpenTX.

I've followed the guide here: https://inavfixedwinggroup.com/guide...hooting-guide/ and all seems to be good. I am using a genuine Matek F405-Wing in a Crashtest Hobbies Gladiator XL. I've updated to 2.6 firmware and I'm using Inav Configurator 2.6.0. Both servos work and both motors calibrated and spin. I have a good GPS lock and all pre-arming checks are green. I reconfigured a set of old Mavlink radios and have a wireless connection to the flight controller.

When I plug the battery in, lower the throttle, and arm the model with SF, the radio announced twice that the engines are armed and then announces angle mode, even though the switches are set to manual. Inav seems good. See attached photo. Sometimes, after a time, the model will arm and I can change flight modes and spin up the props. This can be confirmed with the lua telemetry script.

I've been sitting here testing out what it takes to arm. Is it normal for the model to take several minutes to arm and require a flick of the aileron control? That seems to be what it is requiring.

I really like the work you have done over at InavFixedWingGroup. May I suggest that you turn on comments, or create another way for your community to ask questions and interact. Or, did I just find it here?
Make sure your modes tab is good - watch it while you switch modes - and - make sure your Tx isn't mixing anything, or adding expo to any switches - the Tx should be sending raw unmixed signals to the INAV in the FC. INAV expects that.
Dec 14, 2020, 03:56 PM
Am I crazy or everyone else?
Tim,

Thanks for your help. The modes tab does look good. Chanel 5 switches through all the modes as supposed too. It is sending raw, unmixed, and no-expo channels.

Quick Reply