Oct 29, 2020, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
THX guys.

Hey Hans. How're things across the pond ? Hope things are fine with you and yours.
Size wasn't really the issue as much as I was concerned more with the shape. Today was spent shaping, reshaping, cutting out and replacing then shaping the added portions. Using 3 view plans and reference books, I think I've finally got it. There will be some minor tweeking then on to making the plug.
I'm ready to move on to a different portion of the build. Might get back to working on the tail.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2020, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
I think the pink project foam turned out much better than the depron version. There's really no comparison.

Woody
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 30, 2020 at 04:48 PM.
Oct 30, 2020, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
After getting the canopy shape right ( I think ) I moved on to getting it ready to make the plug. The first step is to fill little divets and cracks. Next step was to glass the foam. This is necessary 'cuz I use auto body finishing putty ( two part ) which will eat the foam if applied directly to it. I can usually get it on in one application but this canopy is rather large and you only have so much time to get it on before it starts to set. It took three separate sessions to cover the mold. It's kinda' like icing a cake except with a running clock.
As mentioned I'm gonna try and add the frame to the plug. I've done this before with reasonable success. With the putty applied it will dry over night to allow it to completely set. After that it will be time for rigorous sanding.
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 30, 2020 at 06:27 PM.
Oct 30, 2020, 08:29 PM
Those earlier canopy plugs came out great. The buckeye should also. What kind of tape do you use for the frame?
Do you have to put a coat of sealer over the tape?
Oct 30, 2020, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Hey Zipman...................if I remember correctly I used masking tape stacked 3 deep. I don't recall using a sealer.

Woody
Oct 30, 2020, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I was wondering how thick it was. It would be the easiest to apply and shape.
Oct 31, 2020, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
Again, it's been awhile since those canopies so the method is a little foggy. I used the wide tape (3 deep ) on a thick glass sheet on which I'd cut. I would draw the frame on the plug cut the patterns from paper then transfer that to the tape, cut out then apply.
Oct 31, 2020, 03:57 PM
Mike
I've used trim stripe tape before and that seems to work as well.
Oct 31, 2020, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Hey Mike. Something like chart pak tape ?
I've been using the wide masking tape which is large enough to cut out patterns if necessary.

Woody
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 31, 2020 at 06:38 PM.
Nov 01, 2020, 02:45 PM
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis
Hey Mike. Something like chart pak tape ?
I've been using the wide masking tape which is large enough to cut out patterns if necessary.

Woody
Yep, chart pak works well.
Nov 03, 2020, 01:26 AM
Thread OP
No pics to show. Spent the day filling pinholes and imperfections to the canopy and fuselage. The canopy has been wet sanded and the frame is being drawn in. Hopefully I can start applying the tape frame.
The more I fill and blend on the fuselage the more issues I find. It might take another day or so to finish it up. Then I can start glassing.

Woody
Nov 03, 2020, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
After smoothing the plug surface it was time to apply the frame. This is a process 'cuz it requires the frame be drawn onto the plug , traced then drawn on the layered tape then applied to the plug. I have a 18" square 1/4 thick piece of tempered glass that I lay the tape to then cut with a #11 xacto knife. This was an all day affair. But if done right it really enhances the model.
In the next day or so I'll build the tub to hold the mold making material to pour the plug. I'll have to get in the right frame of mind because once you start you have to go from making the mold, then pouring the plug, so everything has to be ready to go. The reason for the haste is that the mold making material starts to shrink after a period of time. It's said that you can refrigerate and that will preserve it for a time. I'd as soon pour the plug asap so's it's not a concern.
Nov 03, 2020, 09:02 PM
OOH, that is going to be NICE. Great work Woody. Can't wait to order one from Sparks.

Thank you for doing this. Getting my plans printed tomorrow.
Nov 03, 2020, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
THX Zipman.
Keep us posted on your progress. I'll be interested to see what you'll do with this.

Woody
Nov 03, 2020, 09:45 PM
Sure will. You got me motivated.

Quick Reply