Oct 14, 2020, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
I'm hopin'.

Woody
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2020, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
After routing out the vertical stab, led's were wired and laid in place. The trick will be to not trap the wires out of the channel. I went ahead and cut the top off of the servo channels. It will be easier to join the halves, shape and glass the horizontal and vertical stabs. Mounting the servos would have required joining the two now without the vertical being attached to the plane and I'm not ready for that now.
I think I have a source to pull a canopy , all I have to do is come up with the plug. The size of the model required the laminating of thirteen 10mm foam sheets at 16.5". Since I'm hoping for a vacu-form canopy I need to go back and double measure the cockpit area realign everything.
Also took a few minutes to cut the port wing for the landing light. The wires were fished out of the wing and a housing was built to hold the light.
For the lights I use 3mm ultra bright led's with a 1/4 510 ohm 2% rohs resister wired into the positive side. The backs and side of the bulbs are painted black to help prevent light bleeding thru the foam.
Gonna' be away for a few days.

Woody
Oct 23, 2020, 07:44 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Excellent progress! Really looking forward to what you do with this puppy!
Oct 25, 2020, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Hey Nut. Yeah me too.
Got busy aligning/squaring the sides of the cockpit and gluing the sandwich parts together ( horizontal and vertical stabs ). The cockpit needs to be true before the plug can be shaped. The foam block for the canopy plug was squared up today. Gaps between the cockpit tub and the fuselage sides were filled. The tub was wrapped with saran wrap then seated in place then the gaps are filled. The saran wrap will prevent the tub from sticking to the sides. Will let everything set over night before proceeding.
With everything dry, I can start fitting and trimming. The nice thing about foam is that it's easy to fit, trim or replace as needed. The tail area needs special attention so as to align the fuselage and the stabs. It's also necessary to align the horizontal stab to the main wing.
I'm also thinking about 1/16th ply for the front of the intakes. Being only 3mm foam they'll be subject to hanger rash.
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 25, 2020 at 02:34 PM.
Oct 25, 2020, 06:55 PM
Looking good Woody. really shaping up. For the intakes, could you just epoxy a layer or two of glass over the tip?
Oct 25, 2020, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Hmmmmmm.........that's a thought.

Might be easier.

BTW ZIPMAN thanks for your input.

Woody
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 25, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Oct 26, 2020, 03:56 AM
Hi WXD,
Just stumbled across your thread and now got up to date with your build.
I too found Julius on YT and liked his take on the Sky Arrow . I mostly fly FPV and like a large stable, slow flying plane such as this.
I did watch his build of the Buckeye but thought since this would be my first go at a scratch build I'd begin with something a bit easier.
I have to say I'm pleased with the way the Arrow flies and the 5mm foamboard just packing tape wrapped has proven very strong after a few hard unintended landings
Even though I just used paper skinned 5mm board mine came out considerably heavier than Julius's did.
I had to use a much bigger motor too which then resulted in needing far more battery weight to reach the correct COG.
I've never built with glass fiber so am keen to see how yours ends up weight wise and wish you a fantastic maiden when you're ready!
I went on to build his BD5 too but that's not been quite so rewarding
I have a habit of flying just too damn slow and -well -yes I've discovered the hard way that these sorts of aircraft like speed hey!
Keep up the great work and have the cameras rolling for us when the great day comes
Oct 26, 2020, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Hey drambuidhe.....welcome aboard. Both of your efforts look great. Sorry about the BD5 maiden, but I guess that kinda' comes with the hobby.

I've scratch built a couple of models using fiber glass. To try and keep weight down I only use 3/4 oz cloth with water base polyurethane. After brushing it over the cloth I'll use a regular playing card and squeegee of the excess. That seems to help some.

Good luck with your future projects.

Woody
Oct 27, 2020, 09:08 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
hey Woody..did you see the event thread for the J-Meff (John Morgan electric fun fly) event in st George in 2021? it will be the 15th anniversary of our first get together. sure would be great to see you... (and this T-2! )
Oct 27, 2020, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Hey Nut. No, I haven't seen it. I'll look into it.

THX.

Woody
Oct 27, 2020, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Today was pretty much a bust. After laminating the depron foam sheets and plotting the outline I got busy shaping the block. After almost a full day it became apparent that between the foam density and the hot glue, shaping was difficult and discouraging. Depron is a brittle foam and the hot glue clogs the sanding surface. It's almost impossible to get a smooth transition between the laminated sheets because of the hot glue , which doesn't like to sand at the same rate as the foam.
After spending the day in a losing effort I made a trip to Menards to pick up some project foam. It's not as dense as the depron and sands easier. I also changed the method by which the laminations were glued together. This time around I used gorilla glue and only applied it to the center portion of the sheets. I should be able to shape this block with less obstruction. Also this foam is some what thicker then the depron sheets so there will be fewer lines of demarcation.
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 28, 2020 at 10:41 AM.
Oct 28, 2020, 07:56 PM
Nice Canopy plug after all that work. Next one use a dab or two of epoxy on the sheets where no shaping will be done. Also the EPS pink or green foam is easy to form if you have some.
Are you going to coat the finished plug with a hard shell coating for the vacuum forming process?
Oct 28, 2020, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Zipman................your WAY too kind.
I did go find some project foam and made up a block last night. I let it set over night then got to work this morning. This foam much easier to sand and I was able to use the electric hand sander. When making the block I used a skim coat of gorilla glue applied just below the center of each sheet which made it easier to sand between the segments. The depron block needed 13 individual sheets while the pink foam only need 5. The process moved right along and after about an hour or so I had a presentable representation of a canopy. It needs some fine tuning but it will do just fine.
I have pulled canopies before and have fiber glassed then coated the plug with auto body glazing then pull the canopy. This plug is too large for my home set up. It will be necessary for me to make a plug then send it off to someone who has greater capability then me. Keith Sparks ( Park Flyer Plastics ) has offered to pull it for me if I provide the plug. Once formed it will be used to make a plaster of paris plug and then send it off to Keith. Gonna try to incorporate the canopy frame.
Last edited by W. X. Davis; Oct 28, 2020 at 11:21 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 10:16 PM
Woody, now your talking. This one is a keeper. If Keith (PFP) pulls it then he can have it available for other builders, with your permission of course. Alright, good job.
Oct 29, 2020, 03:51 PM
Living a Dream
Looks Great to me, because the clear plastic will give this canopy the right size.
HJ

Quick Reply