Shout Out to Helpful RCGroups Members!!

That's right, RCGroups turned 24 this year. That's a long time and a lot of helpful information. Give a shout out a member that's helped you along the way.

Splash

24 Years of Helping RC Hobbyists

That's right, RCGroups turned 24 this year. That's a long time and a lot of helpful information. I've been a member since 2003 and I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned from keeping up with the hobby on RCG and it's all thanks to you.

This site would be useless without all of you fantastic members sharing your builds, tips, and expertise with the rest of the community. It's a place where we can share, grow and enjoy this amazing hobby we all love so much.

I wanted to create this thread to help others see their time and efforts to share here are appreciated. And to do that, I'm going to be giving out free 3-month memberships to our RCG Plus status. You can read about the Plus Account Here if you've never seen it.

How it Works

Post a reply to this thread with the username of someone who you feel has positively contributed to your own experience on the site and tell us how how they've helped you. You can optionally send them a PM to say you mentioned them here and give a personal thanks as well.

I'll give them a free 3-month Plus Membership. If they are already a Plus Member, I'll extend their current membership by 3 months. Bonus! I'll also give you a free 3-month Plus Membership for participating.

This offer is valid now through the end of August.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jul 23, 2020 at 08:36 AM..
This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2020, 08:47 AM

In the beginning

In the beginning there was Andy Willetts.
With over 43,000 post Andy (not sure of his screen name) was really the beginning and the most formidable member of this group.
Jul 23, 2020, 08:58 AM
This one is easy. MCSGUY has helped me navigate the strange world of LiPo batteries for a few years now. His real world testing has revealed that the C rating of most brands is just so much marketing hype. I've saved hundreds by purchasing only those batteries that are ranked high on his list. Thanks, Joe!
Jul 23, 2020, 10:20 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlav8r
In the beginning there was Andy Willetts.
With over 43,000 post Andy (not sure of his screen name) was really the beginning and the most formidable member of this group.
Found him https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=15 Man he's been here a loooong time!
Jul 23, 2020, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly
This one is easy. MCSGUY has helped me navigate the strange world of LiPo batteries for a few years now. His real world testing has revealed that the C rating of most brands is just so much marketing hype. I've saved hundreds by purchasing only those batteries that are ranked high on his list. Thanks, Joe!
I don't know if it's appropriate for this thread to give a shout-out to the same person more than once, but I'd like to second this one. MCSGUY's Lipo testing has easily saved me hundreds of dollars and far more likely, thousands, that I would have spent on inferior batteries without knowing better until it was too late. Thanks Joe!!
Last edited by atreis; Jul 23, 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Jul 23, 2020, 10:55 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
All good atreis!
Jul 23, 2020, 11:10 AM
Last edited by quietfly; Aug 03, 2020 at 07:01 AM.
Jul 23, 2020, 11:26 AM
Grumpa Tom
Geez, I cannot remember all the good people that have helped. But certainly one of the most prolific supporters that has helped many with their Spektrum radio issues is Andy Kunz.

In the model engines forum it would be earlwb with his immense knowledge of glow engines.

In the model boat forum it would be Umi Ryuzuki. She knows so much about scale boats she is like an encyclopedia.

There are just so many great people here on RCG that help out all the time. It is an awesome community!
Jul 23, 2020, 11:57 AM
Modeling Retread
#1 Helpful guy for me has been Andy Kunz. He not only answers Spektrum questions in the Radio forum but, evidently, he keeps his eye out of Spektrum questions elsewhere, like Build Logs, and then answers them. Super helpful.
Latest blog entry: Why Do A Build Log?
Jul 23, 2020, 12:11 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks guys, Make sure to put the exact username on your shout outs so I can get their Plus Membership entered in.
Jul 23, 2020, 12:39 PM
There are so many! Here are just a few off the top of my head...

The late Dereck Woodward would top my list of helpful people. You couldn't ask for a better person to have around. And Azarr. God rest their souls.

BMatthews - Bruce has a wide range of expertise, and a great way to share them with others. One of the kindest, most balanced guys I know.

mawz - Adam's presence on the Radios forum has greatly reduced my load. His experience with a wide variety of radio systems, and his balanced reporting, makes him a huge asset to RCG.

ajohnsonlaird - "Andy #3" literally wrote the book that covers the "how to's" of configurating your DX9 (and any other G2 radio, for that matter) working almost exclusively from my posts in Radios (and merged with his consummate, wide-ranging background).

barracudahockey - "Andy #2" likewise has a wide range of radio and model experiences, which he draws upon to answer questions from all sorts of users.

Andy
Jul 23, 2020, 01:29 PM
Azar and Mike Glass!
Jul 23, 2020, 01:30 PM
Mine would be Doc Austin. He has years of build blogs for tons of planes in the 3D forums. Helps countless newbies with picking the right plane, helps everyone from newbies to seasoned vets with setup, build techniques, and radio and gyro setup. Always loading new videos of the hottest new planes. I’ve even seen many occasions he will tell someone to call him if they can’t figure it out. Overall just a wealth of information and made my transition into 3D balsa planes much less scary
Jul 23, 2020, 03:49 PM
Tom Hunt. But haven't seen anything lately.
Jul 23, 2020, 04:20 PM
Single-task at best...
I'll nominate the entire volunteer Moderator team of over a decade ago.

Unpaid and overworked, under the guidance of Andy Willetts and Bri Cullen, they worked tirelessly to make this site what it's become today.

Tim

Quick Reply