Aug 01, 2020, 09:56 AM
Risto Hölttä - F3A/P Team FIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by murne
Hi Finnspeed

This is a very alarming discussion. I have always believed crimped connectors to be extremely reliable? This bias may stem from F1A days - the electronics engineer who manufactured the most popular flight processor for servo driven F1A models had the following as his number one advice to users:

Always use crimped connectors. Never solder your connections. The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle. A brittle solder connection will ALWAYS fail eventually.

I would be grateful for your opinion on this. Do you see the issue as due to the poor quality of the crimp connectors in the Altis, or that crimp connectors themselves are not reliable?
Yes indeed, I was surprised myself too when I saw the quality of crimps in Jukka's crashed parts.

You are absolutely correct: Crimp connection is the most reliable method in harsh conditions. But it must be done right with correct and correctly working tools. It looks like the Altis device used both cheap crimp pins and also possibly a worn out (or mis-adjusted) crimping tool. And this problem does not seem to concern only Altis but other RC components too that are manufactured under price pressure from cheaper brands.

If you take a close look at (genuine) Futaba servo extension wires and their crimps for example, they are a text book example of perfect crimps. I'm sure most other name brands check the quality of their offerings as well and sell good stuff. By the way, I linked a pdf chart about crimp connection quality of a major connector manufacturer in my first post in this thread.
Last edited by Finnspeed; Aug 01, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2020, 01:31 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard
OK, Joe. Are you saying that your configuration is identical to the diagram that Aaro shows above, excepting that you also include the power and ground wires where Aaro shows only the signal wire?
Yes, that is exactly what my current (sorry about the pun!) system schematic looks like. I am relying on two different plugs to transmit power to the receiver as the receiver is in the wing and I have a single three wire plug between the fuselage and the wing. The two plugs are 1, the wing to fuselage connection, and 2, the plug into the rx. Thank goodness for JR xbus to keep the wing to fuselage wiring to a minimum!
Aug 20, 2020, 08:44 AM
Love gliders & speed !
Hi all,

I'm finding out this thread right after having received an Altis v4+ I have an external BEC so any issue with the Altis v4+ would be less critical in my application but I may change my Opto controller for one with integrated BEC in the future so I'll be inspecting the connectors of the Altis.

One thing that was not mentioned here is simply cutting off the provided connectors and crimping your own quality ones. Was this not mentioned because the crimping on quality "commercial leads" is better than if done one-self (I understand that there is a lot of variability in the "one-self" of course...is the crimping tool any good ? is the guy crimping any good ? etc....but let's assume it's done properly) ? I've always done my own crimpings but I do not know what crimping tool they use for off-the-shelf leads such as the Futaba ones ? Are they more reliable ?

Guillaume
Aug 20, 2020, 09:07 AM
Modelist
According to our Rules F5J, interference with the design of the limiter (((Russia ...
Oct 12, 2020, 01:40 PM
Wayne Wimbish

Altis Nano cutting off at 150M when set for 100M

I have an Altis Nano in a converted Vortex 3 for use in mixed f3k, some ALES, and later will dabble in some f5k.

I am using Firmware Version 1.6.

This weekend I flew in a 2 meter comp using the ALES100 settings. I was expecting an Altitude switch at 100 meters and a Time switch at 30 seconds. Since I was flying the 1.5M Vortex3 when others were flying 2M and larger planes, I could not readily tell that my launches were too high. Small just looks, well, small...

After reviewing my flight logs for the contest I found that of the five flights I flew, EVERY one of them cut the motor at 150 meters.

I have a CC Talon 15 with the +/- output from the BEC going straight to the receiver, and the signal lead going to the Altis.

Very baffled as to why I would be getting an exact 50 meter error unless there is a problem in the Firmware. Last contest I flew was with Firmware 1.5 using 'Custom' settings of 100M and 30 sec. Worked fine that way, as I remember it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Oct 17, 2020, 09:35 AM
DS Junkie
Just jumping in here to share my altis problems. I have been using mine for about six months with a hitec Aurora 9x transmitter to get altitude telemetry. Had worked great until I plugged it in to my computer two weeks ago. The software prompted an update, which failed twice.

After that, the unit not only stopped working altogether but has also mysteriously screwed up all the other telemetry info on my transmitter. Had to yank the whole thing out.

It was working fine before, why mess with it, Altis??
Oct 17, 2020, 02:07 PM
DS Junkie
Was able to update to 5.8 for the Altis v4+. Telemetry information is still not being transmitted. Frustration level high.

Anyone got any pointers?
Oct 17, 2020, 02:24 PM
Hi
Firmware 5.x is FAI competition compliant, no telemetry allowed there. Fw 2.x has telemetry available.

Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Was able to update to 5.8 for the Altis v4+. Telemetry information is still not being transmitted. Frustration level high.

Anyone got any pointers?
Oct 17, 2020, 02:49 PM
DS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaro
Hi
Firmware 5.x is FAI competition compliant, no telemetry allowed there. Fw 2.x has telemetry available.

Aaro
Aha!! Thank you!!
Oct 17, 2020, 11:33 PM
DS Junkie
Well I went back to 2.6 and I can't figure out the proper settings to get telemetry. Do I use "none" for the contest setting, or "custom"? "None" doesn't get me working.
Oct 18, 2020, 02:48 AM
Manual is here.
You should look at page 13 for the correct setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Well I went back to 2.6 and I can't figure out the proper settings to get telemetry. Do I use "none" for the contest setting, or "custom"? "None" doesn't get me working.
Oct 18, 2020, 09:13 AM
Good info
Oct 18, 2020, 07:32 PM
DS Junkie
Got it working. The telemetry now goes to my variometer display instead of altimeter, where it used to be. Two hours of my life gone but they were useless anyway LOL.

Quick Reply