Aug 01, 2020, 09:56 AM
Risto Hölttä - F3A/P Team FIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by murne
Hi Finnspeed

This is a very alarming discussion. I have always believed crimped connectors to be extremely reliable? This bias may stem from F1A days - the electronics engineer who manufactured the most popular flight processor for servo driven F1A models had the following as his number one advice to users:

Always use crimped connectors. Never solder your connections. The solder wicks up the wire and makes it brittle. A brittle solder connection will ALWAYS fail eventually.

I would be grateful for your opinion on this. Do you see the issue as due to the poor quality of the crimp connectors in the Altis, or that crimp connectors themselves are not reliable?
Yes indeed, I was surprised myself too when I saw the quality of crimps in Jukka's crashed parts.

You are absolutely correct: Crimp connection is the most reliable method in harsh conditions. But it must be done right with correct and correctly working tools. It looks like the Altis device used both cheap crimp pins and also possibly a worn out (or mis-adjusted) crimping tool. And this problem does not seem to concern only Altis but other RC components too that are manufactured under price pressure from cheaper brands.

If you take a close look at (genuine) Futaba servo extension wires and their crimps for example, they are a text book example of perfect crimps. I'm sure most other name brands check the quality of their offerings as well and sell good stuff. By the way, I linked a pdf chart about crimp connection quality of a major connector manufacturer in my first post in this thread.
Last edited by Finnspeed; Aug 01, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2020, 01:31 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard
OK, Joe. Are you saying that your configuration is identical to the diagram that Aaro shows above, excepting that you also include the power and ground wires where Aaro shows only the signal wire?
Yes, that is exactly what my current (sorry about the pun!) system schematic looks like. I am relying on two different plugs to transmit power to the receiver as the receiver is in the wing and I have a single three wire plug between the fuselage and the wing. The two plugs are 1, the wing to fuselage connection, and 2, the plug into the rx. Thank goodness for JR xbus to keep the wing to fuselage wiring to a minimum!

Quick Reply