Oct 13, 2020, 04:55 PM
Viceless no longer :)
Hello Mike.
Since this is such a beautiful plane and had it been finished and flown by the deadline I would probably have been excited enough to knit you a pair of socks for each day of the week; and since (particularly with the time for Norbert to take to the skies approaching-if the weather is kind), I would not want the SPNOKA Chairman getting cold feet on any potential payouts, so let me have the length of your foot from back of heal to tip of toe) and a pair of socks shall be yours - but you may have to wait a little while for them.
Vicky
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2020, 02:58 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Wow! So I will be Sockwith Mike! Thanks Vicky, I'll pm you with my measurements
Oct 23, 2020, 10:55 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Well, a bit further forward now. Were the weather better I would do a test flight, but since it is full-on Autumn wind and rain, that will have to wait.

My good friend Ken Spokes silver soldered the rear strut cross brace and now it's time to make the leg fairings from depron and balsa.

In this state the model weighs 68oz with a 3 cell 5000 battery, which gives about 15 oz/sq ft wing loading. With this battery (or a 4s 4000) it balances at 26% root chord which I'm hoping will be OK.

The paint scheme is rattle can aluminium and matt emulsion white, with a couple of coats of rattle can gloss varnish.

Callie has the "fig.4" markings on her desk and Tim C says he can do the Union Jacks for the fin. The starboard one has to be reversed so that the flag is still facing forward. Sheldon Cooper's "Fun with Flags" blog would approve, I fee sure.
Oct 23, 2020, 03:53 PM
Merlin impersonator
Gorgeous! I wish I'd made that!

Alec
Oct 24, 2020, 12:19 AM
Love it!

.... I only just realised that the S4 was white and not blue
Oct 24, 2020, 01:47 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Thanks for the encouragement!

I think the blue colour scheme was as a result of the S5 and 6 being part of the RAF High Speed Flight. There don't seem to be any colour photos of the S4 but white seems the most likely base colour.

I made some card forms for the float leg fairings and they are huge! Pictures later as the wind roars round the shed.
Oct 24, 2020, 05:40 AM
Its looking great Mike. You certainly have an eye and the skill for detail. Your pilot looks ready to go. I can sense your eagerness to fly her. I will be good to see it on water and I hope you can capture a clip of the take off.
Oct 26, 2020, 12:36 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Once again, moving slowly forward. The leg fairings were in three parts, and since they are not load bearing, 3mm depron will be fine.

The cross members seem not to be faired, which is unusual in later designs. Quite a lot of drag generated, I should think.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:58 AM

Nov Aero Modeller

You may be interested Mike; I noticed in WHSmith that the Nov Aero Modeller has a feature on the Supermarine
Oct 29, 2020, 09:42 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDaw
You may be interested Mike; I noticed in WHSmith that the Nov Aero Modeller has a feature on the Supermarine
Shopping tomorrow then!
Nov 02, 2020, 10:40 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Finished! I hope to fly her on Wednesday at Longham Lake. Fingers crossed!
Nov 02, 2020, 10:42 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Looks gorgeous, Mike. Break a leg on the maiden!

Steve
Nov 02, 2020, 01:49 PM
build like there is no 2moz
looks great Mike, best of luck with the maiden
Nov 03, 2020, 05:12 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
Good luck!
Nov 03, 2020, 09:30 AM
It looking top notch Mike. I hope that you will be able to get some pics or video from your lake flying.

Quick Reply