Aug 14, 2020, 12:54 PM
Service Engine Soon

Light, Medium and or Windy

I will offer my opinion as to have or not have multiple versions of F5J planes.

It really depends on the level of competition you want to achieve and your skill. If you are a mediocre pilot there is not a plane or version that will put you in first place. And certainly, if you don't compete or competing at a medium level then there is no reason to have multiple versions either, unless or until you improve.

Also, there is the expense. But I don't see this the biggest factor of deciding how many planes to get unless you buy three new planes at the time and surely one can be purchased over an extended period. Most people in the hobby buy a few new or used planes a year anyways. A lot of us have multiple interests in the hobby and to be competitive in all means 3 state of the art planes in each class. If someone were to only fly F5J then a new plane a year or even longer three planes in 5 years I would think is achievable. I probably spend or did spend a new plane a year just going to contest.

A very good pilot can be very competitive with any version and for the most part on average place very high in contest. If a person had a plane that was light enough but could be ballasted heavy enough to fly in all conditions then you would only need one version.

If a great pilot were only to fly one version he would become very familiar with its limitations. The sailplane that flys the best is the one you are most familiar with and not the best sailplane. If I fly my light in windy conditions, I may need to catch a thermal from downwind to make it back to the field. If I fly my windy in calm conditions, I may need to start a little higher or pass on that week lift and search for stronger lift.

But.
F5J is here and soon it will be very competitive even in the US. It's so easy to practice and have a contest resulting in making us all better. I can see just in the last year a lot of very good pilots moving too F5J and a lot of good pilots getting much better. Leaving less and less room at the top.

Today, a strategy is key in winning an F5J contest. Just be conservative and wait for everyone else to score lower.

Tomorrow in every round you will have to start lower or fly farther out than the next guy to win. And that's something one version of any plane can't offer for every condition.
Last edited by Brady Baggs; Aug 14, 2020 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2020, 12:58 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Good thoughts there Brady. Thanks for sharing.
Aug 14, 2020, 01:13 PM
Service Engine Soon
Glad you liked it Jason. I am eager to fly more F5J. I hope to visit House Mt one weekend next month for a practice. Pick a weekend thats good for you maybe it will work out. They fly Fridays and Sundays.
Aug 14, 2020, 01:22 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I’m pretty open next month so let’s watch the weather and pick a good one.
Aug 14, 2020, 02:03 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs View Post
It really depends on the level of competition you want to achieve and your skill.

I think this is key and why I said that I think a lot of people concern themselves too much with small differences in already amazing models (and again I haven't ever flown any of these amazing models). If a person doesn't have really high level ability/skill/talent then the small difference between the versions/makes of these amazing models isn't going to be what makes them into a contest winner.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons

Quick Reply