May 02, 2005, 02:27 AM
Thread OP

Micro Linear Actuator

Hello all

The other day while "conversing" in another post I had an idea.......

Not sure how it could be used. One idea is to attach it to a potentiometer wired up like a rheostat to make sort of an old school speed control. Micro retracts? Micro pusher-jet swing-wing actuator?

If it seems like an interesting idea, or you can see it's flaws, I can go into greater detail.

Unfortuately I have no materials at hand to put something together.

Regards

Kacy
Last edited by SpiderDragon; May 02, 2005 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2005, 03:00 AM
Congratualtions, you have just drawn a WES technik servo (without the feedback pot and electronics)

Forget about the rheostat - it is wasting energy (heat). Modern ESC are both cheap and readily available

Michael
May 02, 2005, 03:28 AM
Thread OP
I knew it wasn't an original design. Just something I hadn't seen anyone build themselves. Guess they wouldn't have to since they're available. I had thought that the rheostat might be wasting energy. Probably why you don't see them in rc stuff anymore.

One reason the idea appealed to me is that I'm no electronics guru myself and I couldn't make anything like Dave Burley's and your BitESC. (very cool by the way) This is something I could build. Keeping my construction "in house".

In an airplane with bit-gear would a rheostat take a huge chunk out of flight time?

Just trying to come up with ideas within my ability.

Kacy
Last edited by SpiderDragon; May 02, 2005 at 03:48 AM. Reason: giving credit where credit is due
May 02, 2005, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
Wow. I just looked up the WES technik servo. I almost got it spot on didn't I! That's my problem, I always come up with good ideas that someones already come up with!

Oh well!

Kacy
May 02, 2005, 04:14 AM
A rheostat will be heavy and although you get throttle you do not get better duration because the energy consumption stays equivalent to full throttle. Try and keep it simple for starters and just enjoy the simplicity of the Bit R/C.

Michael

Quick Reply