Jul 22, 2020, 07:03 PM
Thanks digaus, is there any other downside to this method? (other than no telemetry to the controller)
It seems like this should achieve the same result for those who do not retrofit a screen or speaker?
Last edited by Rynbrnz; Jul 22, 2020 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2020, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynbrnz
Thanks digaus, is there any other downside to this method? (other than no telemetry to the controller)
It seems like this should achieve the same result for those who do not retrofit a screen or speaker?
It's slower. CRSF is 4x faster than SBUS. Other than that it should work just fine.
Jul 24, 2020, 03:29 AM
I gave it a go, and it does not appear to be working. Maybe the Crossfire doesn't like Sbus as an input? I tested in ppm mode on my Taranis and that works, but there is no sbus mode on that.

Edit: I used the trainer port for ppm
Last edited by Rynbrnz; Jul 24, 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Jul 25, 2020, 11:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I gave it a go, and it does not appear to be working. Maybe the Crossfire doesn't like Sbus as an input? I tested in ppm mode on my Taranis and that works, but there is no sbus mode on that.

Edit: I used the trainer port for ppm
There should be SBUS on the taranis too. You have to select it for external module. SBUS should work though. Can you post a photo of your wiring?
But maybe crossfire doesn't like SBUS as an RC input signal. You could change the model in companion and select PPM as external module output. That way you would not have to use the trainer port.
Last edited by digaus; Jul 26, 2020 at 12:01 AM.
Jul 30, 2020, 11:41 PM
Yea I dont think the crossfire likes the Sbus output for the external module, I've soldered to the trainer port in the radio directly to the "Ext port" on the module.
I've still got the original receiver installed and both work at the same time which is nice.
I'm going to buy a 74HC240 Octal tri-state buffer (inverting) IC
https://www.jaycar.com.au/74hc240-oc...ng-ic/p/ZC4867
That should work right? for the full mod..
Edit: I'm having issues flashing the new firmware. I've followed a Qx7 guide and had the Commpanion app connect the controller in DFU mode but It cannot check the firmware version on the device.
Edit: found the issue. The Settup button w/ power put the radio into DFU mode not the button beneath the module.
Last edited by Rynbrnz; Aug 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM.
Aug 10, 2020, 10:56 PM
Ok, I've finaly got connected through companion and got the module working with CPPM(on the EXT port)
Is your firmware required to get the S.port working? because..
I have tried your firmware, but since I dont have a screen, the radio sits there with a red LED (like when you turn on the radio with the throttle up)
Aug 11, 2020, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ok, I've finaly got connected through companion and got the module working with CPPM(on the EXT port)
Is your firmware required to get the S.port working? because..
I have tried your firmware, but since I dont have a screen, the radio sits there with a red LED (like when you turn on the radio with the throttle up)
That's probably an EEPROM warning. Need to read and write radio settings again. This should fix it.
Aug 11, 2020, 02:08 AM
When i flashed your firmware i had to disable the RTC check (it comes up with an RTC error at startup). Of course i had the screen to confirm that. Its in the Radio settings, Hardware tab i believe.

Might as well turn off the throttle warning in the model file as well because for me the throttle stick would never hit absolute zero. Even changing the calibration settings didnt fix it. That startup red light was so annoying.
Aug 11, 2020, 08:04 PM
Thank you guys, You were both correct.
Aug 20, 2020, 02:27 AM
Hi,
I got wrong display from aliexpress, looks like next version (labeled as ZJYM130_6PV3.0) It utilizes same SH1106 driver but does not have chip select (CS) pin exposed. I wonder if CS pin is in use?
Kris
Aug 20, 2020, 06:21 AM
Weird it has no CS pin. Did you possibly get the 4 pin I2C version instead of 7 pin SPI?
Note that the pin names may be different, I used this page to help me with mine
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontr...6-oled-display
Aug 20, 2020, 02:52 PM
Is there any way to add a speaker? Since there's one in the X7 I thought it might be feasible. Thanks, great work.
Aug 20, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Dom
Weird it has no CS pin. Did you possibly get the 4 pin I2C version instead of 7 pin SPI?
Note that the pin names may be different, I used this page to help me with mine
https://circuitdigest.com/microcontr...6-oled-display
sure,, you are right, i got i2c version
well, i will try to play with 0,96 inch spi display i have.
Kris
Aug 20, 2020, 06:33 PM
Bummer to wait that long and get the wrong version, but you could possibly use that for another arduino project down the line.

I am making progress with the transmitting of telemetry over bluetooth to a phone, so you can get telemetry info without having to solder to the chip. Showing voltages/rssi for Frsky and Bayang just need to work out how to get it to call out warnings (and make a proper app instead of just something that is hacked together)
Aug 20, 2020, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qczek
Hi,
I got wrong display from aliexpress, looks like next version (labeled as ZJYM130_6PV3.0) It utilizes same SH1106 driver but does not have chip select (CS) pin exposed. I wonder if CS pin is in use?
Kris
FYI i got the white 7 pin SPI screen from this seller, and it works great
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3268...3595ec17sAATh3
Its SSH1106 driver, and cheap.

Quick Reply