This thread is privately moderated by rickp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 18, 2020, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FliteTest Mini-Mustang build

Received the FliteTest Mini-Mustang kit yesterday, including the Power Pack A.
Chose the A Power Pack as it can be used in both the Mini-Mustang as well as my existing Tiny Trainer.
The original Tiny Trainer power pack has developed issues - either a bad motor or ESC/BEC I think.
Built a new power pod in the afternoon using the new Power Pack A components.
Installed and tested that in the Tiny Trainer and hope to test fly it later today.

Will build the Mini-Mustang in a week or so, and document the process here.

Cheers, rick
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2020, 10:21 AM
Thread OP

And so it begins

Cut out all the pieces, so it's getting to be glue-time!
Last edited by rickp; Jul 29, 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Jul 30, 2020, 11:55 AM
Thread OP

Finished (maybe) Model

In the interest of time, and my inept workmanship, I decided to "flat top" the Mustang.
Pictures below show the hatch that allows me to insert and connect the battery.
Only three channels now because I inadvertently destroyed the rudder servo.
Easily replaced, but I'm waiting until I decide whether to add a second mini-Mustang kit to the order.
Figuring that I'll surely do a much better job the 2nd time around. Surely!

Had hoped to maiden it this morning, but also Mother Nature didn't cooperate.
Aug 02, 2020, 01:21 PM
Thread OP

Wow!

Successful maiden this morning. Perfect trim without adding a click - must be some luck involved there.

Plenty of vertical with 3S 430mAh battery, though not unlimited. Nice rolls, loops and invert.
Half flap flaperons worked nicely - very slow flybys and landing.

Used a 5 minute timer, but that resulted in using 90% of the available charge, so will scale it back to 4 minutes.
Could try a 3S 800mAh battery, as I have some of those, but they are definitely much heavier and I like light.

The all while foam kept me on my toes, so I'll be adding something to differentiate the top from bottom.
Leaning toward Rasterize's Paul I skin, which I'll print on label paper and apply to the while model.
Check out the screenshots below to see what it will look like.

My new favorite IRL model!!
Aug 02, 2020, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Successful maiden this morning. Perfect trim without adding a click - must be some luck involved there.

Plenty of vertical with 3S 430mAh battery, though not unlimited. Nice rolls, loops and invert.
Half flap flaperons worked nicely - very slow flybys and landing.

Used a 5 minute timer, but that resulted in using 90% of the available charge, so will scale it back to 4 minutes.
Could try a 3S 800mAh battery, as I have some of those, but they are definitely much heavier and I like light.

The all while foam kept me on my toes, so I'll be adding something to differentiate the top from bottom.
Leaning toward Rasterize's Paul I skin, which I'll print on label paper and apply to the while model.
Check out the screenshots below to see what it will look like.

My new favorite IRL model!!
Great Rick! As you know, you made the sim of mine, a high-vis scheme is a good idea for this plane and so going with invasion stripes is probably the way to go!
Don't be afraid of an 800 battery, that's what I fly mine with and the model handles the weight just fine, I can cruise slowly and glide it in for a very gentle landing. I find mine flies just like your phoenix sim model so yours with the light battery right now maybe feels more floaty? I don't know I never tried mine with any lighter battery. If you do go for the 800 you can fly 7 minutes easily!
Aug 02, 2020, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Curious - which motor are you using?
Aug 02, 2020, 03:59 PM
My name is Naga
Congratulations on your build and the successful maiden!

Don't cha just live it when a plan comes together?

That skin looks absolutely amazing; go for it!
Aug 02, 2020, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Curious - which motor are you using?
I am using the 'weaker' of the two power pack options sold at the time. It was 2 years ago I ordered it right so I see on their site now they have new power packs. But if I am not mistaken, it is called power pack A I think it is the same that you are using. I just fly everything stock what they sent me and on 800 3s batts it has great power, great thrust to go vertical and get out of any trouble.
Aug 04, 2020, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
I am using the 'weaker' of the two power pack options sold at the time. It was 2 years ago I ordered it right so I see on their site now they have new power packs. But if I am not mistaken, it is called power pack A I think it is the same that you are using. I just fly everything stock what they sent me and on 800 3s batts it has great power, great thrust to go vertical and get out of any trouble.
That's excellent news, as I was worried that the extra weight of the 800mAh battery would force me to go to the more powerful F motor.
Hope to try out the 800mAh tomorrow, and if and when it happens I'll post comments here.

And if I don't fly in the morning, then I'll be pasting on the Rasterize Paul I texture that I printed on label paper and carefully cut out.

Thanks, Joe! rick
Last edited by rickp; Aug 04, 2020 at 07:28 PM.
Aug 05, 2020, 05:42 AM
Quote:
That's excellent news, as I was worried that the extra weight of the 800mAh battery would force me to go to the more powerful F motor.
Hope to try out the 800mAh tomorrow, and if and when it happens I'll post comments here.

And if I don't fly in the morning, then I'll be pasting on the Rasterize Paul I texture that I printed on label paper and carefully cut out.

Thanks, Joe! rick
great Rick, I'll look forward to hearing your results. keep in mind I have never tried it with smaller batts I was just always pleased with the weight and handling from my very first flight with the bigger packs. So i have no basis of comparison and I hope you do find it works well and not that i've been flying around an overweight hog all this time! I'd grab a smaller battery and try it if someone is able to tell me this thing flies even better!

Maybe I just like heavier planes - on my umx aero commander I fly 800 and even some 950 2s packs. These forums are filled with guys raving about that plane on 400 size packs but again I've never felt the need to drop down.
Aug 05, 2020, 06:34 PM
Thread OP

Rasterized!

Too breezy to fly today, so spent a bit of time adding the Rasterized Paul I scheme to my MM.
A bit of trimming needed here and there, mostly because I added the scheme after the build rather than to the piece parts before assembly.
Pleased with the result, though I'll pick up a blue magic marker to touch up a few spots.
Will be interesting to see how well the label paper stays attached.

May eventually replace the flat fuselage top with the FliteTest curved top, but think the flap top is more robust.
Not that I plan to land upside-down, of course, but one never knows!

Hoping for light wind tomorrow so I can fly again.
Aug 07, 2020, 11:30 AM
Thread OP

Battle Damage!

Water spots due to not confirming that the wet grass was only dew.
It wasn't - they pretty much flooded the sports field, which I discovered when I landed.
And as you can see, label paper isn't particularly water resistant.
Good news, though, is that I can replace it with a newly printed wing skin.
Here's a thought - I can tell people that it's intentional "weathering" added for realism. Yeah, that's my story!

Prop mishap is pilot error, as I attempted to land too slow when testing the 800mAh battery.
The MM flew well with the 800mAh, though on the whole I prefer the slower landing speed of the 430mAh.
So think I'll stick with the 430mAh and limit my flights to about four minutes.
About the limit of my attention span anyway.

Cheers!
Last edited by rickp; Aug 07, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Aug 07, 2020, 01:50 PM
My name is Naga
It does look weathered, but doesn't distract too much.

Is there a waterproof spray you could use to prevent further weathering?
Aug 07, 2020, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
It does look weathered, but doesn't distract too much.

Is there a waterproof spray you could use to prevent further weathering?
Perhaps, but I'm concerned that anything I sprayed or painted on it would cause spots as well.
Another approach is to cover it with clear packing tape. A bit of extra weight, but should be effective.
For the time being I'll do nothing and see how it goes.

Thanks for chiming in, rick

Quick Reply