A loss to our group. - RC Groups
May 01, 2005, 06:32 PM
Slope Dog
Discussion

A loss to our group.

I am sorry to report the passing of my friend and all around great guy, Eric Molstead, known to you slope guys as Ericm. He was involved in a plane crash Saturday evening as he was approaching Pearson Field. He had flown up to Spangle,Wa to attend his 25th class reunion and was almost home. Five more minutes and he would have been safely on the ground. Details will be filled in as more information is available.
Eric and I have been friends since 1979. We met in high school and our common interest in model and full scale aviation has lasted over the years and kept us in contact. We were together in 1980 at the Sandpoint ID airshow when Mt. St. Helens errupted. Took us three days to get back to Spokane. We thought it was a great adventure.
He got me started in RC and then just happened to have an "old radio" that would fit into the Drifter II that I built. Sold me a Cirrus 3 channel that worked fine for what we were doing at the time so that he could get the new Futaba 6 channel. That was Sept.1979.
As the years rolled by we both ended up living fairly close to each other again. He lived an hour away and whenever the wind looked promising I would give him a call and then meet him at the local slope if our schedules worked out. We always had a great time together even if we did get skunked at the slope.
Many of you guys watched as he would craft museum quality models out of blue foam and glass. He always choose subjects that were a bit different from anything out there and was meticulous in his craftsmanship. I figured if we flew together some of it would rub off on me. I always gave him a hard time about his shop because it was his kitchen, dining room and bathroom. Many shots in his build threads were of his planes in the shower. Hilarious.
For those of you who knew Eric, think of him next time you go to the hill and toss a plane. He will be greatly missed.
Mike Stubbs
Gorgeflyer
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2005, 06:41 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Thats is the sadest news Ive heard My heart felt condolences to his family I had conversed with Eric many times here on the forum and considered him a man of extreme talent some one who was humble about his ability to make museum scale out of nothing but blue foam and glass . He will be sorely missed . Rest easy Eric Mate
heaven has just opened a slope for you Thank you Mike I know how hard it must be for you too . My first drink tonight will be raised in Eric's honour
SteveW
May 01, 2005, 06:46 PM
It could happen...
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this most shocking and sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. He always returned correspondence with an easy going and up-beat tone...always modest about his work too. He will be missed.
May 01, 2005, 06:50 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
OMG!!! That is such a tremendous loss to all he has come in contact with, as well as all those who will never experience his presence in person. My sincerest condolences.

He will be painfully missed.

R.I.P. Eric

Kevin
May 01, 2005, 06:55 PM
Obsessed
This is truly horrendous news. I always enjoyed Eric's posts here.

Not a month ago I lost a dear friend to cancer who was only 37. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss, and ours.
May 01, 2005, 07:04 PM
All work and no play
Eric is going to be missed by all. From my email's and phone conversations with him I can honistly say that he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever come across in this life. Mike my condolences go out to you and please relay all of our condolences to his family.
May 01, 2005, 07:08 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Mike, so sorry to hear of your loss. If possible please convey my and our condolences to Eric's family and friends. Eric's posts were always a pleasure to read and he seemed like a great guy, someone that one would really want to get to know in person. He had a true love of aviation and was an amazingly talented builder. I sincerely hope that his family and friends can get through this terrible ordeal and find peace.

Steve Lange
May 01, 2005, 07:19 PM
Piscine Promulgator
ericm
R.I.P.
May 01, 2005, 07:21 PM
Back in the air, Folks!
Very sad news indeed.

After corresponding many times via email, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Eric at Soar Utah 2004 and found him to be a really super guy. As you all may know from other posts, his build quality was fantastic and his knowledge was an asset to the soaring community.

My next in person meeting with Eric was to be at the Tri-Slope in only a couple of weeks. I am sorry that I did not get to know Eric better and send my heart felt condolences to those of you who were lucky to know him better than I, as well as to his friends and loved ones outside the RC soaring community.

Greg
slopeflyer.com
May 01, 2005, 07:21 PM
by ZIPPER
So sad to loose a fellow sloper and true crafts man, he left us doing what he loved. You have given as all inspiration with your craftsmanship. We will all miss you Eric.
This thread should be a sticky in memory of Eric
Glenn
May 01, 2005, 07:34 PM
Registered Taranis User
What awful news! Four us from Florida met Eric last summer at the Lumber site and I was hoping to see him again when we come back this July. I took this picture of him myself:
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
May 01, 2005, 07:36 PM
Free as a bird now.
Absolutely heartbreaking news. I met Eric once, and I have conversed with him through this forum many times. I was very much looking forward to seeing him again in just two weeks at the 6-pack event. Eric was standing right beside me when I took this picture of his Lear Jet last year.

Eric was a very talented modeler and all around terrific guy. He will be sorely missed.
May 01, 2005, 07:38 PM
That is sad news. My condolences to you and his family.
May 01, 2005, 08:09 PM
SlopeHead
This is a sad way to finish a weekend. Please give my condolences to the family.
May 01, 2005, 08:10 PM
MINE!
What a shock!.....such sad news.
If there is any consolation albeit small, he died doing what he loved most, flying.
My heart felt condolences to his family and friends.