Apr 30, 2005, 10:20 PM
Thread OP

Which Logo is right for me???

Hi, my name is Craig. I have been thinking about getting a new helicopter for quite some time now. Through a lot of research I have found that the Logo helicopters seem to be some of the best helicopters. My problem is I donít really know what makes helicopters or parts ďgoodĒ. I have a little micro that I learned on so I know how to fly pretty well. I can hover nose in (which is pretty good considering that if you let go of the controller for a 10th of a second at any point it will go spinning out of controlÖ yeah, I know its pretty bad). But I donít really know what the parts on the helicopters do. I donít know what gyros do, I donít know what sort of radio transmitter I should get, I donít know what battery you should use for certain motors, and those sorts of things. I read the beginners guide and it helped answer some of my questions. So now I just want to start out by picking a new helicopter. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Logo 10, 14, or 20. Because my budget is my limiting factor I was leaning toward the L10, but I want a helicopter that has a very high quality of 3D capabilities, which is why I am leaning more towards the L14 or 20 (right now the L14 seems like my ultimate favorite helicopter from what Iíve seen and read ). I need help making up my mind and the foremost thing is what is out of my price range. I would like some people to share how much money it took them to put all the components together and make there Logos RTF. I am also going to need a new radio transmitter so I could use some advice on which one is suitable for all my helicopter needs and reasonably priced.
Thanks again,
Craig

Why do i always choose the expensive hobbies!?!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2005, 10:34 PM
if you still need a TX, charger, batteries, tools and gauges, figure at least $1500 for an L10, and $2000 for an L14 or L20. these are minimums and you'll inevitably spend more.

go to logoheli.com.
Apr 30, 2005, 11:08 PM
Hey Craig,

Just replied to you at the Logo forums too. Welcome to the forum. Man, I know that budget has been my number one issue as well in terms of what components I can buy, what type of batteries I can use, etc. To be specific, I'm a married graduate student with a research assistanceship and my wife and I agreed I can have $100/month for my hobby. That pretty much controls how I plan my purchases, which I have mapped about till the year 2015 practically. Laughing Nah, just till I finish my masters and start a job.

I started off with a few other helicopters a while back and worked my way to my Logo 10. Here's the road map I followed:

Piccolo -> Eco 8 -> LMH Corona -> Century Hawk (fuel powered) -> Logo 10

Eco 8, LMH Corona, and Century Hawk I purchased used and sold them off to buy the next helicopter in line. So, I only have the Logo 10 now.

Until I got the Hawk about 2 years ago, everything had the bare minimum components needed to get in the air, which I've learned isn't the way to do it. Much better to save that little bit more even when you have to wait a month or two to get the quality stuff. The only thing I didn't wait on was the transmitter - I bought a used Futaba 8UHS from one of the other forums, I think RCGroups (then known as the EZone), about 4 years ago for $250. You can know get a new Futaba 9 CH from ServoCity.com for that price, so you can probably find a decent used one cheaper than that.

I got the Logo 10 3D and am very happy with it. I sold some other equipment I had just to afford it, but I'm not sorry I did. However, I have had my doubts about not starting with a Logo 20. The kit prices are not that far apart for the Logo 10 3D and the Logo 20. Though you have to buy blades seperate for the 20, quality 600 mm sized blades are usually cheaper than the Mikado 500 mm fiberglass ones for the Logo 10, so crash repair costs would be a little cheaper. I justified it at the time by saying the battery costs would be twice as much, but that may not be the case anymore with the high voltage Lithium packs. Most Logo 10 packs use 12 cells (4S3P or 6S2P) and I think some people are using 16 cell packs in the Logo 10 (8S2P).

Usually smaller is cheaper, but between the Logo 10 and 20, it's a bit of a toss up. Both are fine helicopters and you wouldn't be dissappointed with either.

I don't have the exact costs anymore, but here's an approximate cost breakdown for my helicopter setup and equipment:

Futaba 8UHS transmitter - $250
Logo 10 3D kit - ~$470
Hitec 8 Ch Super Slim Reciever (came with another transmitter) - ~$60
3 Futaba 3102 servos - ~$90
Futaba GY401 servo and 9253 servo (came with Hawk purchase) - ~$180
1 self made 12 cell GP 3300 mAh pack - ~$60
1 used 12 cell GP 3300 mAh pack - ~$50
Castle Creations Phoenix 60 ESC - ~$150
Hacker C50-13L - $230
Miscellaneous upgrades (ESC mount, Gyro mount, clamp ring, etc.) - ~$60

Total: $1600

That's all I can think of at the moment. Sure there's more there.

~Dan
Apr 30, 2005, 11:53 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
You may wish to wait a bit and check out the new Swift from century. It may have a few teething pains as many new helis do, But the cost should be several hundred lower than the 10.

I can't fault the logo 10 though, just a nice heli!!

Ebay is a nice place to start sometimes.
May 01, 2005, 07:21 AM
Get a Logo 10 3d used and save yourself some money. Check daily on the for sale section here at rcgroups.com, runryder.com, rcuniverse.com, logoheli.com and ebay.
May 01, 2005, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all your help guys. From what all of you say the logo 10 3D is probably going to be my choice. I'm still a little concerned about 3D abilities (I've seen the L14 do some INSANE 3D stunts ) but I guess I'll see what the L10 can do when I get it.

Craig
Last edited by roni; May 01, 2005 at 08:56 AM.
May 01, 2005, 09:30 AM
with the right equipment, an L10 can everything an L14 can do except auto tricks (L14 has driven tail). but how many of us ever do auto tricks outside of a sim?

get a good L10 set-up and you'll be very happy with it.
May 01, 2005, 10:32 AM
Roni,
Before you purchase a Helicopter, get yourself a good simulator and learn to control the helicopters on the simulator. You will save yourself a ton of money that way.

If you have a radio, go with XTR, if not, go with Realflight G2 or G3 with their controller.

The other option is to find someone in your area that has a simulator and is willing to let you try it. I do that for people in my area. You won't believe the amount of money a simulator will save you. (I speak from experience).

You won't regret doing the simulator first.
Gus...
Last edited by Ralph Gustafson; May 01, 2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Add Text
May 01, 2005, 01:17 PM
I totally agree with what Gus said about the simulator. Even though you seem to have the basics already with your micros, learning new things like backwards and inverted flight will go so much better (read cheaper) if you master them in the simulator first.

~Dan
May 01, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
One other question, Logo 10 3D or Logo 10 Carbon?

~Craig
May 01, 2005, 06:13 PM
either. i have the L10 carbon but the L10-3D is just fine. bear in mind that the carbon kit does not include blades while the 3D kit comes with the GF 500's (~$70).
May 01, 2005, 06:58 PM
RC Ace wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Hall
bear in mind that the carbon kit does not include blades while the 3D kit comes with the GF 500's (~$70).

I think they may have changed the 3D kit now, I just received my new logo 10 3D kit saturday (not carbon) and I did not get any blades with the kit.
May 01, 2005, 07:35 PM
A decent used setup here: http://logoheli.com/LOGObb/viewtopic.php?t=2736
May 01, 2005, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace in the hole
I think they may have changed the 3D kit now, I just received my new logo 10 3D kit saturday (not carbon) and I did not get any blades with the kit.
huh, interesting. you should check with the vendor to make sure this has changed for '05. or maybe Glen from logoheli.com can confirm?
May 02, 2005, 07:39 AM
RC Ace wannabe
A quick update, I emailed Mikado and they told me it must have been a mistake. They are working on getting me a set of blades.

Quick Reply