Willy Nillies Ace RC GLH

"I really enjoy these small light airplanes. I have so many battery packs for them that I can fly for as long as I want."

Splash

Willy Nillies' Ace RC GLH (Goes Like Heck!)

Specifications from website: ( https://willynillies.com/shop/ols/products/glh-250 )

• Wingspan: 23.25 inches
  • Wing Chord: 4.325 inches
  • Wing Area: 100.55 square inches
  • Wing Loading: 10.02 oz/sq.ft
  • Wing Cube Loading: 12
  • Length: 20.5 inches
  • Weight: 6.5 to 7 ounces
  • Motor: 1806 - 2280kv Brushless (or: Cox TD .020)

Most of the Willy Nillies threads are in the Fuel 1/2A forum section, so I wanted to start one here for the GLH as I just completely finished my kit and had the initial flights :)

I used the following power system:

• Motor: T-Motor F20 3750kv
  • ESC: Spedix IS30 (BLHeli_S)
  • BEC: Matek micro BEC
  • Prop: HQ 4x4 bullnose
  • Battery: Gaoneng GNB 11.1V 3S 550mah

Other:

• Spektrum AR500 RX
  • Covering: UltraCote

The initial flights went well I am very happy with the plane. It is the first balsa plane that I have built and completed in a long time. I was nervous on the first launch but it was not bad as the wing loading is so low. It does have some torque roll but nothing that that is overwhelming.

The ailerons are actually more responsive than I was expecting. I think they could be modified to be less than full span and still have plenty of authority for this type of plane. I found that I had to remove the wing to get the battery in without a struggle. I need to shorten the wires some more to free up some room. The 3S 550 mah packs worked out great with a solid 3 1/2 minute flight time. I don't have anyway to measure it but found the top speed to be fast enough for me. The 4x4 bullnose HQ prop is a great match for the power setup I am using.

The only plane I have to compare it to is my Hitec Zipper and the GLH feels more solid and responsive in the air as there is no wing flex and no dihedral in the GLH. It was a great satisfaction to see it flying after the time I put into building and covering it. I look forward to building some more of the Willy Nillies kits and I currently have a Super Sport 250 on order. I really enjoy these small light airplanes. I have so many battery packs for them that i can fly for as long as I want.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jul 14, 2020 at 10:49 AM..
Jul 13, 2020, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Build pictures and info:

While overall, a year went by between the start and completion, the kit went together easily and was a fun build. The covering, however took me a long time as I am still a beginner at covering.

The one item I was unsure about was the 4 triangle balsa support pieces that support the trailing edge wing hold down mount. I found the answer here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=249

Modifications from the build instructions:

Battery tray:
lowered the battery tray to accommodate a thicker battery pack to fit under the ply former.
Added a velcro strap

Battery hatch:
I hinged it from the front with some ultracote covering and added 2 magnets to the other end to keep it closed. I also added a pull tab.
Last edited by JohnM; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Jul 16, 2020, 07:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Cool, thanks Jim for the conversion to an article. I am proud of myself for how well this kit turned out as I am still a beginner when it comes to building balsa kits. I really like how the covering scheme worked out on it and it looks great in the air. I am super happy with the plane overall and I would recommend it for anyone looking for a small speedy racer type plane. The nice thing about it is that due to its light weight it will fly just as well slow as it does fast and is simple to launch and land.
Jul 17, 2020, 07:18 AM
A man with too many toys
I wish that there were larger sizes available. I have lots of 3s and 4s 2200 batteries and would like to have some more airplanes to use then in.

Jul 17, 2020, 08:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
In my opinion there are plenty of aircraft available for the 3S-4S 2200 mah packs are those are the "standard" for the 1-2 meter planes. What type of aircraft are you looking for?
These kits fill a void that exists in the 250g or less aircraft size. For the cost/ fun factor they can't be beat.
They are so much lighter than the comparable "2200 mah" size aircraft in the same sport/racer type category such as the Durafly EFX, Durafly Goblin, E-flite V900, Multiplex Funracer, Skynetic Havok.

The power requirements are so much less as is the wing loading. The power to weight ratio is on par with the larger aircraft as well. You can fly them in much smaller areas that that would not be safe for the larger aircraft. However, they do just as well at the AMA flying field as they do at the local park or ball field.

If these aircraft are too small, you should check out this thread as you can build one of these custom planes in any size you wish:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...AM-RACER-8S%21
Jul 17, 2020, 10:58 AM
A man with too many toys
I am looking for kits that have a similar construction - quickly lock together and require no plans. NO Foamies!

I like most of the WN designs like the S-Tee, Eaglet, GLH, CUB ( I would like a Super Cub better), Falcon Skylark, Barnstormer, Hummer, Super Sport and Ace Simple. WN has the same taste in designs that I do and I really like the construction. Just wish they (or someone else) made a line of larger laser cut airplanes.

Jul 18, 2020, 11:48 AM
Just found this thread through the highlights of RCgroups.
Very clever design, love the idea.
What servos are used on this model? 5g type?
Last edited by flydynamics; Jul 18, 2020 at 11:57 AM.
Jul 18, 2020, 04:52 PM
You can't take the sky from me
I flew one of those back in the early 90's with a Cox Tee Dee .09. It was crazy fast with that engine. Never knew what it was supposed to have and it seemed to fit, so I went with it. It would go vertical out of sight. Never felt over powered though, it was a solid flyer at those high speeds.
Jul 18, 2020, 05:08 PM
A man with too many toys
That was a very popular design 30 years ago. Looks like the new smaller version will also be popular.

The original size version (33" Span) is available as a short kit. http://www.balsaworkbench.com/?page_id=1293

http://www.balsaworkbench.com/?page_id=302

Jul 19, 2020, 06:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydynamics
Just found this thread through the highlights of RCgroups.
Very clever design, love the idea.
What servos are used on this model? 5g type?
I am using Turnigy TGY-1440A servos for my micro sized planes and have been very happy with them.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...0sec-4-4g.html
Jul 19, 2020, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I am using Turnigy TGY-1440A servos for my micro sized planes and have been very happy with them.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...0sec-4-4g.html
Thanks, got a bunch of EMAX 9051, I think they'll just be perfect too!
Jul 20, 2020, 11:28 PM
flyin' fool
Fly SMALL, have a BALL!!

Quick Reply