DJI FPV System Firmware Update with 50mbps!

On July 8th DJI released a new firmware update their FPV system that most notably added a new bitrate mode at 50mbps.

Splash

Hot Firmware Update for DJI FPV System

On July 8th DJI released a new firmware update their FPV system that most notably added a new bitrate mode at 50mbps. This new mode will provide an even better looking image at the goggles which was already the best on the market. Using the 50mbps bitrate mode does remove some available channels for the transmission frequency, but if you are flying with lots of friends, you can always go back to 25mbps in the goggle menu to open up the rest of the channels. If you haven't updated yet, now is the time. Check out the full release notes below.

• Date: 2020.07.08
  • Air Unit Firmware: v01.00.06.00
  • Goggles Firmware: v01.00.06.00
  • Remote Controller Firmware: v01.00.06.00
  • DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV Series): v2.0.2

What’s New?

• Added 50Mbps bitrate mode, which provides better image quality. In FCC areas, users can enable 50Mbps bitrate mode on goggles by selecting Setting, Transmission, and then Bitrate.
  • Added frequency range display for each channel in 25Mbps bitrate mode, making it more convenient to select different channels when there are multiple devices around to avoid interference.
  • Optimized power algorithm. Full power will automatically be enabled if the flight controller is disarmed during flight. This improves the stability of the video transmission connection and increases the probability of locating lost aircraft.
  • Optimized user experience when there are multiple devices in the area.
  • Fixed rare issue: when the remote controller was connected to a simulator, the aircraft vibrated vertically when the throttle stick was pushed to the maximum value.
  • Fixed issue: an update failure report was incorrectly sent when using DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV Series) to refresh current firmware.
  • Fixed rare issue: air unit automatically stop recording during flight.

Notice:

• Restart the air unit, goggles, and remote controller once the update is complete.
  • Make sure that the firmware of the air unit, the goggles and the remote controller are in the same version. Check the firmware version in Setting, Device Info, and then Device Info on goggles.
  • If the firmware update fails, restart the device and DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV Series), and try updating again.
  • Update the Air Unit (Lite) when there is good ventilation. Make sure that both the goggles and remote controller are powered off before updating the Air Unit (Lite). DO NOT touch the Air Unit (Lite) during update since the temperature rises. If update fails, wait for the Air Unit (Lite) to cool down and try to update again.

Click here to visit the DJI FPV System Page

Jul 10, 2020, 11:07 AM
Some things to realize about using 50Mbit mode.
1. Any time you switch between 25 and 50 Mbit modes or back, you must re-select a
channel to use (it'll always default to the public channel after you switch, which is always 25Mbit only).
2. 50Mbit mode uses three very fat channels that collectively span most of the 5.x Ghz band
so they will step on (or be stepped on) by multiple regular narrow digital and analog channels.
Basically don't expect it to play nicely with other FPV pilots unless they're
also on DJI and using one of the other two 50Mbit channels, or you're on one
end of the band and they're on the other (keeping mind that DJI's public
channel (centered on raceband 6) is always off limits.
3. If flying with other pilots, DJI or otherwise, physically separate yourselves by
at least 10ft. The DJI goggles are transmitting video link data back to the AU and that signal
will cause degradation of each other's DJI video link or cause interference in an analog
receiver if it's too close.

Oh, and in the release notes they talk about good airflow to the AU while upgrading.
It's really best if you can just get a fan on the air unit (especially the Caddx Vista),
while doing the update.
Jul 10, 2020, 05:18 PM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Just had a couple of flights on 50Mbps, and it's noticeably better. Much less side degradation in focus mode. Is going to be interesting how this affect the long range fliers with the wider frequency band and larger bitrate window to fall back on.

And maybe more important, they fixed the "rare issue" with recording that everyone was struggling with..
Jul 10, 2020, 10:57 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Also with this release, the 4 mile range limit is gone. I guess it's not surprising that this was not noted in the release notes.
Jul 12, 2020, 01:42 PM
Is the 4 mile range also gone in 25 or only in 50 mbps mode?
Jul 12, 2020, 03:29 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Don't know if anyone has tested it yet.
Jul 12, 2020, 11:27 PM
Apparently out to 13kms now.
Jul 13, 2020, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieuav
Apparently out to 13kms now.
Guess I need to go out and push the range again see if I can get further.
Jul 28, 2020, 09:18 PM
I'm new to FPV and have never use the DJI FPV system.

Can you change between 25 and 50 and vice versa while flying? Can you change channel while flying? (let's say you have a visual on your device and you or someone else can fly it without looking at the googles)

Is there anything to automatically change the video rate and channel depending on interferences? I'm asking as on the Mavic you don't need to do anything and it automatically switches bandwidth and channel as necessary.
Last edited by HexRC; Jul 28, 2020 at 10:00 PM.
Jul 28, 2020, 09:26 PM
You can't switch between 25Mbit and 50Mbit on the fly.
You can switch channels on the fly with the channel buttons on the goggles.
Just keep in mind the buttons are backwards. Up is down, and down is up.
The only time I've done so is if someone on analog powers up on the same
channel and it's easier for me to move than them.

Yes, the bitrate changes on the fly as the signal strength and level
of interference changes. Look for some raw DVR recordings on YouTube
with the telemetry information overlayed and you'll see how it works.
Jul 28, 2020, 10:09 PM
Thanks Daemon.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean between "You can't switch between 25Mbit and 50Mbit on the fly." and "Yes, the bitrate changes on the fly as the signal strength and level of interference changes."

Does that mean you choose between 25 and 50Mbps, but then the bitrate can get lower automatically?
Jul 28, 2020, 10:16 PM
Yes the setting controls the max bitrate. It will decrease as necessary.
50Mbit setting also uses twice the Rf bandwidth (channels are twice as fat), which means
fewer channels available and more chance to step on (or be stepped on) by analog users.
That's why you can't use it all the time.
Jul 28, 2020, 10:44 PM
Thanks Daemon, it's all clear now.

From an RF point of view, I wonder what happens as the rate decreases. I guess the signal still uses the same bandwidth, but as it contains less data, it's easier to decode even if it's weak.
Jul 28, 2020, 11:44 PM
Yep, pretty much. Theoretically if you double the bitrate in the same Rf bandwidth, you
cut your range in half. Double the Rf bandwidth at the same bitrate, you double your
range. Double both bitrate and bandwidth, your max range doesn't change.
But, because the DJI signal can decrease the bitrate on the fly, what you see is
an effective increase in range, as the bitrate decreases while you're in the 50Mbit mode.
Jul 29, 2020, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
But, because the DJI signal can decrease the bitrate on the fly, what you see is an effective increase in range, as the bitrate decreases while you're in the 50Mbit mode.
Good point. So if you're alone, better use 50Mbps mode (which is around 40MHz from what I've seen, compared to 20MHz for 25Mbps). Thanks again.

Quick Reply