Jul 09, 2020, 12:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

G Mark .11

Iíve got this G Mark .11 and canít seem to find any information about it. I see a lot of info on the .061 and the twin cylinders and 5 cylinder radial G Marks but nothing about this one. Anyone ever seen one before? I donít want to sell it or anything but just thought Iíd see if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2020, 12:54 AM
ffkiwi
You have a fairly rare beast there-and the car/heli version at that. There is also a similar looking G-Mark 15 which probably shares the same crankcase... attached are a couple of pics of the std aero 11 R/c and the .15

Not much english language info on them out there....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Jul 09, 2020, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
I was thinking it must be fairly rare. Sure runs nice and the build quality is excellent.
Jul 10, 2020, 04:52 AM
ffkiwi
Well the general story regarding the G-Mark engines is that they were produced by a subsidiary of the Citizen watch company....so good antecedents. I don't recall whether it has ever been stated in more detail-whether it was as 'true' subsidiary, a related company, simply a sub-contactor or whatever. Anyway the 11 and the 15 singles are the rarest G-Mark models...at least in the west.

Off the top of my head-the complete range was: the first model 061 'Seagull' then the small 03 'Humming Bird'-then the later 061 model-which in turned formed the basis of both the .12 twin reed valve and the .30 geared radial, then the .30 twin and the .11 and .15 If the latter two had only just been introduced at the time the principal died-and everything came to a grinding halt -then this would easily explain the relative scarcity of the 11 and 15 models...

Furthermore after production ceased (again for reasons never divulged in detail in the west-though one story did have it that the principal behind the company simply died)-sometime later the tooling (and possibly the residual inventory of components-finished or otherwise)-was purchased by someone in the US (we can think of a likely candidate.....!) with a view to resuming production in the US....but the container(s) with all the materials and equipment was/were lost overboard during the voyage from Japan to the US.....

Here are a few more pics from my files...the original Seagull was essentially bar stock-and a big heavy clunky thing, whereas the later model was quite impressive-coming close to (but not quite equalling) a Cox TD 049 for power-and with a bit of work on the head (such as a glowhead insert) could probably produce quite a bit more...

Guesswork on my part-but I would surmise that the .30 twin uses quite a lot of components from the ....15

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Last edited by ffkiwi; Jul 11, 2020 at 03:30 AM.

Quick Reply