Jul 22, 2020, 05:12 PM
Cherokee still my favorite
Interesting considering most talk using 4s 3200 as the main upper standard. 3s 2200 usually low side base line.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2020, 10:12 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
I fly with 3 and 4s 1500mah lipos in my night timber so the 2200s will be more than enough to fly the maule especially if flown scale like.
Jul 24, 2020, 01:04 PM

Hilarious

Did say the 3rd party item get here faster. It did. You never realize how much bigger it's going to be till you see it. Dang this prop huge vs the umx turbo timber. And to think I went down 1 inch per normal standard. This 10x7x3 and maule stock is 11x7x2. Cant wait to see the plane. Tracking shows everything comes Monday, both fedex and ups due.

I picked up a small 8oz can of minwax water based polycrylic clear semi gloss. Will be coating plane before use to protect the red paint finish. Figure this being water based, (most on forums used it) should work well to prevent the wear that occurs. Couple other preflight changes in my head but till plane gets here I really can't be sure. Anyway that's the update.
Last edited by Trukntigger; Jul 24, 2020 at 01:13 PM.
Jul 24, 2020, 11:17 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
Its wild how much bigger everything is compared to the umx. How much bigger of an area you need to to fly them too. I thought i would be able to fly my night timber in the field where i fly my umx tt, and one day i might be able to but for right now i need two to three times the size to fly around it. The bigger planes fly so much faster and when it tip stalls it need alot more distance to recover. Luckily they have as much power as they do and with safe on you kinda just punch it and it pulls out. Since i put on the leading edge slats i have not had a tip stall. I also have learned to fly faster in the corners too.
Jul 24, 2020, 11:43 PM
Interesting speed wise. A lot of post about big timber doing walking speeds without stall.
Jul 25, 2020, 09:12 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
Here is the scoop on speed of the bigger planes (my night timber) from my point of view. Being a beginner pilot and having less experience to pull from when in flight, works against me when getting into situation and or just flying at different speeds. I try to think about how to fly the plane, like when flying slow to use rudder to turn and ailerons to keep the plane level. Most the time that works out for the best but there are times when people will talk to you and will throw your concentration off or when flying in wind turning when you need to be at a higher air speed when turning and my judgement thinks that i am going fast enough but infact when the plan just starts to fall out of the sky , i quickly realized that i should have been going faster. So when things like a tip stall happens it gets into your head a little and then i start to think about them probably more than i should. So after a couple of those times where i felt like my plane almost crashed i start to fly faster where those problems occurred. Also the fact that the bigger planes have 300% more power than our umx plane. It is just easier to fly faster covering alot more distance alot faster and when i was first flying my night timber since i am newer to this i wasn't quite sure how banked i could get in the corners. So faster and bigger radius turns equaled alot more room that i needed to fly. The other day when i was flying in probably 10mph wind i was able to fly in a straight line probably as slow as i can with the umx in no wind with no issues. There have been no issues seeing the plane because they are so much bigger than the umx's. Hopefully this gives you some perspective of how things have gone on my side of the world. If i was you i would hold off flying the maule untill you are actually able to meet up with the pro.
Jul 25, 2020, 09:42 AM
I already chatted with him other day. Won't be flying Maule till we meet. Going to do my prep/mods/etc then he will look over preflight, do maiden and tweak it before I take sticks. If done right it will be classic scale flyer. About only hitch is field has no water so floats will be on me but as long as cg right should be fine. He said should be off lockdown next Tuesday.

Oddly maule uses a servo embedded in a float for rudder on one side only. Going to be checking either linking for 2 rudder control or add servo and "y" connect. Some of this still unsure till kit in hand. Same with nav lights, thinking will add a few but unsure again because I really have not found good pics of which lights it has, only saw center and tips of wings.

Been keeping eye out for some cheaper camera I can put inside cabin. Not entirely sure if I want just record mode like dash cam does or fpv type setup. Suspect a fpv that also captures flight most $$ setup. Seen several on forums the put one in that was on servo and literally was like you were in pilots seat with head turning while flying. Was very cool but I bet too costly to be practical so in end think will be simple just record with hd quality and anti vibration.

Going to install decent connector for wing removal. Many said lots of wires real pain so a polarized connector to do it all would be great, guessing around 18 pins. Again until I have kit in hand hard to know exactly best route for my goals but this is part of the fun for me is thinking about how I want it.
Last edited by Trukntigger; Jul 25, 2020 at 09:56 AM.
Jul 25, 2020, 07:38 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
I got my props today a whole two days early! I have decided that im going to try the 13x4 prop first since it is the stock prop that the plane came with that i was i unable to fly with because i was an idiot for 2 seconds. anyways im going to try the stock prop and go from there probably try the 12x8 next.

Back to you tig, it would be very easy and not to expensive to put a fpv camera in the maule you could even have it hooked up to a servo so you can look left and right. You could hook it up to the rudder with a y extension, so that you dont have to use anymore channels. Here is a link to a all in one camera, it has the fpv camera and the video transmitter together so all you need is to get it power and your good. Here is a link to one there are more out there i just know people like this one that works good.

https://usa-m.banggood.com/Eachine-T...d=395572890419

You will also need to have something to watch it on. You can get a video receiver and hook it up to a tv if you need the size.
Or there are goggles that you can try. I have a cheap pair of what they call box goggles. Here is a link to some (box) goggles.

https://thrust-uav.com/product/fat_s...on_v2-goggles/

Here is a link to a video receiver that you can plug into a screen..

https://www.readymaderc.com/products...rsity-receiver

Or you could just get an fpv camera and a small dvr so that way after the flight you can watch the footage later. That would be the cheapest option. Foxeer , runcam and caddx all make good cameras

What kind of quick connectors are you looking at for the wing?

Something like this?

https://www.parts-express.com/molex-...CABEgIs9fD_BwE
Last edited by G.wayne; Jul 25, 2020 at 08:35 PM.
Jul 25, 2020, 11:44 PM
Not sure still on cameras. Thinking on line of record only, with vibration dampening. Connector, no something much smaller and lighter. Jst-ph 9 pin I'm thinking. This should work well. Need to separate left and right wing halves. Should be enough at 9 pin to cover aileron, flap and led lights.
Jul 26, 2020, 11:26 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
So i flew with a couple props today. The first one i started off with was the 13x5.5 and
i thought it sounded wierd. Nothing was wrong with it, just the harmonics were different and i didnt like it. Also i had to use more throttle to get the same effect as the 12x6 i have been flying with. My guess is smaller diameter the easier and faster to spin with less throttle. I next put the 12x8 on and i really enjoyed it, enough so to fly with it for the rest of my time flying. Plus i could tell that i was sucking more amps with the 13 inch prop my old batteries. One speed run and the 'ol.bird pulled 53amps , so not bad for an esc they say can handle a burst of 80amps.

Have you been on any adventures with the TT?
Jul 27, 2020, 12:52 PM

Stuff finally arriving

Yea for Monday. Ups been here, waiting on fedex next. Got my 4 3s 2200, package of 4 battery alarms and some extra 9g metal gear servos.

Pre check all the packs, happy. 3.84-3.85 per cell on all 4 packs. Seem solid and connectors nice. Will update post when rest arrives

FedEx ...more like fed-up. You know I ordered this all last Sunday. At Horizon website and stuff at Amazon. The 2nd party item at Amazon shipped USPS and arrived same week Friday. The other items (batteries in one shipment) and servos and low battery alerts in another both arrived today as expect via UPS. FedEx pushed back my delivery now to Wednesday and here's the kicker, I paid extra for faster. HH sent info Tuesday night, FedEx did not even pickup till Thursday night then sat on it till Saturday. One package, plane shows in Nashville Tn, been there since this morn. The other package with 4s lipo last update Saturday still says in California. Covid my rear, not an excuse to do as they please. Wrote HH demanding extra shipping fee refund AND they need a different shipper for me or I'm shopping elsewhere. This is unacceptable. Left is plane, right is batteries.
Last edited by Trukntigger; Jul 27, 2020 at 11:04 PM.
Jul 28, 2020, 10:27 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
Its always exciting getting items you order but its not fun to get the most important one last. Almost the same thing happened to me when i ordered the night timber , just not to the extent. I also didn't pay for express shipping, i used what ever was free. Im surprised that the horizon distribution hub is in California. I thought it would have been in the Midwest. I gave the maule manual a once over last night and i am surprised that the landing gear is a blown up version of the umx tt. The timbers are a completely different design. In the mean time you should charge and discharge to storage voltage your batteries a couple times. At first i do it a 1c and charge my packs at 1c for a while and then down the road i will step it up to charge at 2c at most. My weak charger cant do any more than that but hey it gets the job done. Did you try flying the tt with an oiled motor bearings?
Jul 28, 2020, 11:06 AM
No flying. Grandkids had been here for 4 days and then gusty yesterday. Today and next several have storms in forecast. No worries. Being semi retired I can do as I please when I want. Been so hot pretty much stay indoors or go to pool and cool off for a bit. (Ogle the ladies behind my sunglasses)
Jul 28, 2020, 05:05 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Thread OP
You got to be very careful my friend of the direction and time that your head is in while ogling!!! didn't you say your wife just got a new gun? Haha just playing around. Thats my other full time hobby! Ha

I can believe the difference of how good i am playing real flight and real Life. Flying real planes have made me crash alot less in real flight. But i still get scared like a little baby when im flying my plane in the real world
Last edited by G.wayne; Jul 28, 2020 at 05:36 PM.
Jul 28, 2020, 07:24 PM
Flew tt this afternoon. Still rather hot but flew well. Zero problems but elevator needs some adjusting. No updates on either package from FedEx. Rather perturbing too see no location updates. Battery still shows last action friday in Bloomington CA. Plane been in transit from Nashville TN (90 miles from here) since Monday morn. Slow boat from China faster.

Quick Reply