Jul 08, 2020, 07:04 PM
32 yrs. Of aircraft Flying!
Thread OP
Discussion

Flite Test Freedom Fox PNP (1100 mm/1250 mm)

Does anyone know anything else about this new plane?
I don't know if its foam, or balsa or what sure be nice if they had more pictures or a video showing it.
who is going to pre order a $250 plane w/o more info

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-te...80800/p1199885
Latest blog entry: OMP M2 Helicopter.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2020, 08:29 AM
Being that it is Flite Test, I'd be rather confident in saying it is foam. But you are right that the product page is rather light on details. They did post another picture of it on their book of faces page.
Jul 09, 2020, 09:43 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Foam for sure, shows when you click on the pucture and enlarge it.

Interesting to offer it with two wings.

As shipping on their othe 1.2m ARF was 30.99, this will be a little pricey by the time it gets to the buyer.

I will say that the build quality on their Widgeon was excellent. No painted over tape and no tape showing at all.
Jul 09, 2020, 10:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr11803
Being that it is Flite Test, I'd be rather confident in saying it is foam. But you are right that the product page is rather light on details. They did post another picture of it on their book of faces page.
Yeah but what kinda foam, epp epo or thier brown foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Foam for sure, shows when you click on the pucture and enlarge it.

Interesting to offer it with two wings.

As shipping on their othe 1.2m ARF was 30.99, this will be a little pricey by the time it gets to the buyer.

I will say that the build quality on their Widgeon was excellent. No painted over tape and no tape showing at all.
Sure does look pretty I would just love more info.

As we was talking about in another thread all planes seem to be $30 or more to ship
Last edited by epoweredrc; Jul 09, 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Jul 09, 2020, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Does anyone know anything else about this new plane?
I don't know if its foam, or balsa or what sure be nice if they had more pictures or a video showing it.
who is going to pre order a $250 plane w/o more info

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-te...80800/p1199885
Hi there, I attached some more photos of the airplane. The airplane is made out of injection-molded foam.
Looking to get more detailed shots of the airplane on the listing soon.
Also, closer to release, there will be plenty of videos available for anyone on the fence.
Jul 09, 2020, 11:32 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Yeah but what kinda foam, epp epo or thier brown foam.

Sure does look pretty I would just love more info.

As we was talking about in another thread all planes seem to be $30 or more to ship
Their Widgeon ARF is molded of EPO type foam. I strongly predict this one is the same and likely comes from the same factory as the Widgeon.

It would not be practical to build and paint an ARF like this from the sheet foam that FT sells (the brown foam is being replaced by their new white “maker foam”.)

Most places I buy ARFs from have free shipping of kits: Motion RC, Horizon, others. I almost did not buy the Widgeon due to the shipping cost.

Nice to see that the Freedom Fox does not have giant Flite Test logos plastered all over it, as the Widgeon had. The two logos on the aft fuse are not too objectionable on the Freedom Fox.

FT, if you are listening: include the FT logo decals, but please, do not pre-plaster them all over a scale model. Make them optional, so the owner can use them, or not, as they choose.
Last edited by Thomas B; Jul 09, 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Jul 09, 2020, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFurey
Hi there, I attached some more photos of the airplane. The airplane is made out of injection-molded foam.
Looking to get more detailed shots of the airplane on the listing soon.
Also, closer to release, there will be plenty of videos available for anyone on the fence.
Thank you for the pictures. That first one is very nice detailed photo i was really able to zoom in and see some nice details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Their Widgeon ARF is molded of EPO type foam. I strongly predict this one is the same and likely comes from the same factory as the Widgeon.

It would not be practical to build and paint an ARF like this from the sheet foam that FT sells (the brown foam is being replaced by their new white “maker foam”.)

Most places I buy ARFs from have free shipping of kits: Motion RC, Horizon, others. I almost did not buy the Widgeon due to the shipping cost.

Nice to see that the Freedom Fox does not have giant Flite Test logos plastered all over it, as the Widgeon had. The two logos on the aft fuse are not too objectionable on the Freedom Fox.

FT, if you are listening: include the FT logo decals, but please, do not plaster them all over a scale model.
Yeah, your right about the foam but never know how they might make it.. well Extreme flight and northwest i have to pay taxes and shipping on anything i order along with other company's. Sucks but kinda used to it.
Jul 09, 2020, 04:21 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Thank you for the pictures. That first one is very nice detailed photo i was really able to zoom in and see some nice details.

Yeah, your right about the foam but never know how they might make it.. well Extreme flight and northwest i have to pay taxes and shipping on anything i order along with other company's. Sucks but kinda used to it.
Actually, you do know of know how it will be done. In today's market, it is a very, very safe bet that any kind of painted or at least partially painted ARF PnP model is going to be done in molded EPO foam.
Jul 09, 2020, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Hi there, I attached some more photos of the airplane...
I'm glad they did the 'extended' ailerons like on the original - wouldn't look right without them!. Does not appear to have flaps though since there appears to be only one wing servo. I'm guessing it could be set up with 'flaperons' though.

This plane is ideal for my club field - rough grass and lots of it!

Take my money... PLEASE!

Don
Jul 09, 2020, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
I'm glad they did the 'extended' ailerons like on the original - wouldn't look right without them!. Does not appear to have flaps though since there appears to be only one wing servo. I'm guessing it could be set up with 'flaperons' though.

Take my money... PLEASE!

Don
They look different at first but then to look at the real on it is very scale looking. Never had a plane set up in that way.
Jul 09, 2020, 10:10 PM
Quote:
They look different at first but then to look at the real on it is very scale looking. Never had a plane set up in that way.
That aileron configuration is not very common, but here are a couple of other examples I'm aware of:

The Junkers Ju-87 Stuka, and the Pilatus SB-2 Pelikan.

Don
Jul 09, 2020, 10:19 PM
Quote:
What fence? I don't remember seeing any fence...

I only remember a green box that said Pre Order!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Jul 09, 2020 at 11:39 PM.
Jul 09, 2020, 10:55 PM
Quote:

Take my money... PLEASE!

Don
The Original Freedom Fox has Flaperons, aka Flaps that do double duty as Ailerons or vice versa.

This model may as well, and as long as it has two servos controling the ailerons, it would be an easy program.
Jul 12, 2020, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Any idea what prop it's using?

Thanks!

Don
Jul 16, 2020, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Any idea what prop it's using?

Thanks!

Don
Yep, it's a 10x4.5 propeller.

Quick Reply