Apr 29, 2005, 05:10 PM
Thread OP

Organic 2.5 M ?

I've seen that the Organic 2.5M is used in electric applications, but not too many as a pure sailplane. Is there a reason?

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2005, 12:06 AM
Tragic case
Its very well suited to electric 7 cell competitions we have in Australia. i love mine and have replaced it with the same model on regretfully more than one occasion.

As a pure sailplane it could be regarded as small. However with the lighter weight of the sailplane you should be able to land it on a piece of newspaper.

My only issue is the carbon kevlar weave does seem to give me the odd radio problem.
May 01, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thread OP

Carbon and radio glitches

I have heard of others with carbon fuselages that have had radio problems too. I wonder what the solution is.
Jim
Jul 10, 2005, 03:58 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
The solution is to measure the amount of antenna that's inside the fuse and add this amount to the end. This goes against everything I've ever read about antenna lenght, but it works. I had the same problem with my Organic until I added to the length.

Side note: I need help setting up my Organic. I switched to a 9CAPS and I'm having problems setting the 1 flap configuration. Anyone using this radio please help.

Thanks,
Jim
Jul 12, 2005, 12:14 AM
How about routing the antenna outside the fuse?
Jul 12, 2005, 09:15 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod
How about routing the antenna outside the fuse?
Of course! The antenna is routed outside the fuse, but a few inches remain inside. The distance between the receiver and exit point. 4 to 6 inches if you mount the receiver in the nose and exit behind the wing.
Jul 12, 2005, 01:44 PM
I fly the FVK Absolute, FVK Graphite 3.1, FVK Mini Graphite, all have the same fuselage lay-up of carbon / Kevlar cloth.

In all of these models I use a Graupner DS19 receiver - I do not have any radio issues at all, I frequently fly to out of sight range with the 3.1 metre FVK Graphite without any radio problems.

For info: DS is the equivalent to Dual conversion on Japanese radio sets.

I use either a Multiplex 3030 or Multiplex 4000 transmitter.

All of these models are flown as Electric models and the antenna exits the fuselage as soon as it exits the Receiver. The Antenna is taped for half it's length along the fuselage and then allowed to hang free. (this method of fixing the antenna is specifically recommended by Schulze on their RX's)

One solution to installing receivers in glider fuselages is to add an extension onto the free end of the antenna equivalent in length to the length of antenna that is inside the fuselage. (the theory is that the antenna in the fuselage is blanked and merely conducts the signal, so the true length of antenna remains outside the fuselage,)

To completely confuse all of the theories and facts, the following is a true story:-

A couple of years ago, a club colleague was at a major national Thermal soaring competition.
Second flight, off he goes in thermal, 400 yards downwind, the model is hit by massive interference, but my colleague never gets interference. The model somehow makes it back to the field unharmed, but his score is shot. A quick ground range check reveals all ok.
Third flight, same results, 400 yards downwind in lift, interference. We land again back in the field, but the comp is lost.
The wing is removed, the wing is retained by two bolts which pass through the fuselage from underside of the fuselage to the wing.
The antenna has a plug and socket allowing the antenna to run freely down inside the hollow moulded glass wing.
The fuselage is CARBON, no Kevlar, just a carbon lay-up with glass cloth.
Whilst bolting the wing on, one of the bolts cut completely through the antenna. He had 5 inches of antenna inside the Carbon fuselage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still can't understand how 5 inches of antenna inside a solid carbon fuselage allowed him to fly up to 400 yards away before the receiver started objecting. !!!!
Jul 12, 2005, 04:07 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
All of these models are flown as Electric models and the antenna exits the fuselage as soon as it exits the Receiver. The Antenna is taped for half it's length along the fuselage and then allowed to hang free. (this method of fixing the antenna is specifically recommended by Schulze on their RX's)

One solution to installing receivers in glider fuselages is to add an extension onto the free end of the antenna equivalent in length to the length of antenna that is inside the fuselage. (the theory is that the antenna in the fuselage is blanked and merely conducts the signal, so the true length of antenna remains outside the fuselage,)

Mark,

Well said. I fly the Graphite, Mini Graphite, Organic, and a new AVA waiting for it's first test flight. The antenna exit for the first three is within an inch of the receive, so no extension required. The AVA required an extension becasue the antenna exited behind the wing.
Jim
Jul 12, 2005, 09:50 PM
My AVA ant exits behind the wing then to the top of the rudder with no extention, JR tx and rx. Never had a range problem, most of the guys in the South east are set up this way.
Charlie
Jul 13, 2005, 01:23 PM
I have the Organic 2.5 with the electric fuse, but I change the nosecone and fly it as a glider. Itīs a lovely plane, I fly it since three years. Both as glider (about 900g) and electric. Itīs perfect for small slopes on calm days on 2-3 BFm, for more wind - 4 BF or more - you will need balast or a faster plane, when you use the wind to start and search for thermals to come higher. Its small enough to throw it without problems, its light - so you need very little space to land it. Even if the landing wasnīt perfect itīs light and tough so the surface wonīt be damaged like on a light moldie, with a bit of practice you can land it in directly in your hand - like a hlg. It circels prefect, but you need to add rudder for faster turns, and its definitly not an acrobatic model. The flap position has a great influence in the flight speed. The glider version is perfect for thermaling at moderate wind.
I had a Kontronik 480-28 5,2 on 8x2000 NiMH and 16x10 but itīs noseheavy and you have to add some weight on the tail !! So I bought a mega 16/25/3, a 3:1 reisenauer gear which is lighter, and will fly on 3 2400 lipos at about 30A with 14x10 prop.

I use a simprop scan 7, and or schulze 835 reciever. The antena is taped outside on the fuse, with about 50% hanging free - never had problems with this configuration.

It fits perfectly between a HLG and my Mystic (3.1m RG15), - If you want to thermal on moderate wind ( up to 3 - 4 BF) I would strongly recomend it.

Viktor
Jul 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
I would think the rason it is not used so much as a pure glider is because it does not match up with the size classes we fly. Usually we fly 1.5, 2 and 3 meter. 2.5 is an odd size.

Mark Miller
Jul 14, 2005, 12:02 AM
Thank you Catch-Air I'm a little slow but now I think I'm on the same page.
I'm seriosly considering a Organic 2m to replace my Renny (Flip) I lost in a shipping accident. This thread has my attention.
Is it just a careful butt joint at the end of the antenna?
What about going out to the top of one of the v-tails vs. along the fuse?
Lear45... I'm with you on the 2.5m... for some reason I am drawn to the 100" version. Todd
Last edited by RatRod; Jul 14, 2005 at 12:13 AM.
Jul 14, 2005, 12:43 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
RatRod,

Here's a photo of my 2.5M. Notice the antenna exits at the same location of the receiver. I did not tape it to the fuse, instead I used a longer bolt that holds the v-tail on, then added a clevis to that and hocked my antenna to that. I did not add any lenght to this one and I haven't had any problems. Basiclly, "there's more than one way to skin a cat" as they say, so what ever works for you and meets the range check requirements for your radio. You wont be disappointed if you go with an Organic. This is one of my favorites.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Frahm; Aug 07, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Jul 22, 2005, 12:30 AM
Very slick!
I just might have to steal that idea.
Going to order an Organic.
What are you using for servos?
I got a couple of HS-65's and some 85mg's.
And what about the Hoopes?
Batt size?
Jul 22, 2005, 01:47 AM
I got a volz Micro Star on the Flap and ailerons, and a graupner/JR 2081 on the V-tail (in the electric version). I fly with this combo since I bought the plane.
But today, I would try a Dymond D-60 or Graupner/JR 271 ( 10 g servo with MG) for the ailerons. You should take a metal gear servo for the flaps (a HS 85 MG or HS125 would be fine).

Quick Reply