Aug 02, 2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info Terrill

That certainly explains a few things such as why the red and black appear to be on both the inside and outside. Good stuff.

Richard
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2012, 04:16 PM
Intermediate Multi
It looks like the chute is attached near the rocket's CG, and I don't see the nose cone in the picture. I assume that the chute deployment process is a little different from a typical rocket?
Aug 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
AZ thermal junkie

Missing Nose and attachment

Good eye, man! The nose is there, but was molded from .020 PETG plastic which is crystal clear. This yields a nose cone in the 1.5 gram range after adding a 3mm depron disk inside. The shock-cord (the line that attached the fuselage to the nose and parachute is run externally on this model. It gets bonded to the root of one fin and is taped to the side of the model near the CG of the empty body with a burned out motor in the motor mount. The nose cone just has the shock-cord pass through a loop of line or through a small hole in its base. This allows it to slide down the line once the parachute is ejected and it hangs with the body at the CG. When I snapped the photo it was mostly out of sight on the opposite side.

The reason for suspending the model horizontally (I could have done a better job of this) is that it presents a greater surface to the air during descent. This is supposed to assist in getting a longer duration. At least that is the theory.

Terrill
Aug 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Intermediate Multi
Thanks Terrill. Interesting.
Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob
I know what you mean about the club launches. I was spoiled in California with three great clubs all of which had call-in waivers for flights to 15,000 feet. Now I am on the east coast and there is nothing close.
If you're up for the drive, MDRA has a 15,000 ft waiver and monthly launches. Might be too far ...
Jun 20, 2013, 10:55 PM

Estes Saturn V #2157

Yep, every kid who ever flew rockets, dreamed of building and flying one of these. Challenging kit to be sure. This is one to take your time on, bit by bit. Assembly and painting, I did over two months time. Don't bother flying it on a D12-3 when you get done. This one is flying on an AT F35-5 reloadable, in the 24x60 case. I replaced the two 24 inch parachutes with a pair of 32 inch Dyna's. The 18 inch chute for the upper portion was replaced with one of the original 24 inch chutes. To get it to balance, I had to put about 3oz of lead and epoxy on the nose, for a total of 21oz flying weight. After all that time building and painting, I almost chickened out on flying it. But after all the careful planning, it was a complete success. Too bad I had to wait over 40 years to fulfill my childhood dream. If you have something stewing, stir the pot. You can do it!
Jun 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
If it flies, I crash it!

My Stable

Here is some of my stable. Can you guess the theme?
Jun 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
Intermediate Multi
Are any of them glide recovery?
Jun 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Are any of them glide recovery?
The Estes Tomcat, A-10 Thunderbolt II and the unfinished A-7 Corsair II. The rest are parachute recovery.
Jun 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
Intermediate Multi
Cool.
Sep 29, 2013, 11:55 PM
Post Captian
These are my attempts at sugar (KnO3) rockets. The big one has a 10 inch sugar motor and a simple recovery system that will prevent it from hurting anyone on its way down but basically they are all single use. The two smaller star trek inspired ones probably wont even fly upward considering that they have huge saucer sections forward the engines which are 5 inch sugar motors . I have a ten foot tall launch rod which should give them a good start.
Last edited by qwerty_2008; Oct 12, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Jun 07, 2015, 05:50 PM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Just found an old photo of my son and I believe Nike Rocket.

Quick Reply