Two Altimeters
Drogue less
Attained 4800ft

Launched from Orangeburg, SC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bMBi...kTyvMGUAEf6evE
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2011, 01:33 PM
Stick, roger ball.
"Deer John", egh? Did she leave you over your rocket obsession? If so, I'm sure it was totally worth it. That's a good looking launch vehicle.
Dec 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Very nice, did it come with a free hat as well?

Frank
Dec 13, 2011, 03:23 PM

Deere John

At one time, I had all John Deere equipment and just thought it would be great to have a rocket with the same color scheme.

If you notice the printing on the rocket says nothing Flies like a Deere....

Had the hat before the rocket...

This was allot of fun but expensive... cost around $750 a launch...

Ken
Dec 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
Stick, roger ball.
$750 a launch? My wife would leave me to...

I don't like to think about how much it costs to fly my little 29mm motors.
Dec 13, 2011, 10:05 PM

Deere John

I only launched this 3 times, back when I had money....LOL

Now this Rocket is hanging up in a hobby store in North Carolina...

I wish RCG had classified for Rocket Stuff. I have a ton of stuff to sell.

Ken
Dec 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
You can always post ot in rocketryforum.com, they have a for sale page, rcgroups does as well, but you'll probably get more interest on the rocketry forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by km28104 View Post
I only launched this 3 times, back when I had money....LOL

Now this Rocket is hanging up in a hobby store in North Carolina...

I wish RCG had classified for Rocket Stuff. I have a ton of stuff to sell.

Ken
Jul 31, 2012, 08:38 PM
AZ thermal junkie

FAI Competition Rocket

Here's a photo of a model for FAI S3 competition (Parachute Duration). This was a test flight flown with an Estes A3-4T this summer. The parachute is 44 inches in diameter. Weight of the model is 9 grams.

Terrill
Aug 01, 2012, 07:40 AM
Stick, roger ball.
With a 44" parachute at that weight, I always wondered if those duration rockets ever catch thermals and float back up.
Aug 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
AZ thermal junkie

Thermals

Stick,
That is the name of the game! Model rocket duration competitions are won by those who can "pick air" and launch when a thermal is coming by. In competition this year I had a flight of over 21 minutes. That flight the model went up several times in thermal lift before finally landing.

Terrill
Aug 01, 2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDWillard View Post
The parachute is 44 inches in diameter. Weight of the model is 9 grams.
Terrill
Is that 9 gr with the chute? What material is the chute made of?

Richard
Aug 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Here's a photo of a model for FAI S3 competition (Parachute Duration). This was a test flight flown with an Estes A3-4T this summer. The parachute is 44 inches in diameter. Weight of the model is 9 grams.

Terrill
That looks like an interesting competition class. At least the flight is not over in a flash.
Aug 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
AZ thermal junkie
@ Richard; No that is empty weight. The 'chute is made from 0.31 mil plastic sold widely in the US as drop-cloth material. I don't know the weight of the chute, but I'd guess it adds 3 to 5 grams.

@ Trisquire; FAI competition events are all multi-round. For Parachute Duration, with "A" motors (2.5N/s), the flights have a 5 minute max. For Helicopter and Streamer Duration, they have a 3 minute max for the 2.5 Newton / Second class. I cannot remember the max for Boost-glider, but I think it might be 5 minutes as well. In all the events, 3 rounds have to be flown using 2 models, so you really have to have a team help you get them back!

The World Championships start 1 September 2012 in Slovakia. I can't wait!

Terrill
Aug 02, 2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
@ Richard; No that is empty weight. The 'chute is made from 0.31 mil plastic sold widely in the US as drop-cloth material. I don't know the weight of the chute, but I'd guess it adds 3 to 5 grams.

The World Championships start 1 September 2012 in Slovakia. I can't wait!

Terrill

Thats what I suspected well that or mylar. The red and the black look like markers but what did you use for the white? [The drop cloth plastic around here is all clear] 16 shroud lines cool!

Wish you luck and good thermals.

Richard
Aug 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
AZ thermal junkie
Correct, the red and black are super-wide markers. The plastic is HDPE and comes with a matte finish, not the glossy finish usual with LDPE plastics. I use talc (baby powder) to keep the parachute from sticking when packed in the model. The talc makes the black appear a bit grey, and the clear matte plastic appears a bright white in sun-light.

Cheers,
Terrill