Jul 07, 2020, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Rubber motors In Canada?

Was after some Gummy Band motor material FAI supply has lots As Does Volare But FAI wants 40$ US, additional ... for shipping... Volare wants 25 U$ for their shipping.. On a 10 $ box of rubber band !?
Not happening, Given the Currency differential .. That's 50 cdn Bux ..Minimum.
Thought maybe a wee geared micro motor / 1S Or Supercapacitor even , might be an alternate.. No winding it up at least
HobbyKing no longer sells those wee geared micro motors .
Seems my FF foray is dead ..before even starting.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2020, 11:54 AM
That’s tuff on the shipping and small motor thing! Consider office supply rubber bands for catapult launch gliders.... The handle a surprising amount of energy
Jul 07, 2020, 12:54 PM
B for Bruce
Buy a cheap micro quad copter. You get four micro motors and usually some spare props. Just need to figure out what to run them from for power storage. Battery power would require a small shut off. Super caps sounds like a nice plan since no electronics wizardry would be needed. Just charge up to a 1 cell voltage which the motors run with and launch.
Jul 08, 2020, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanx for the inputs... Appreciated.
BM has saved my day though... Thank you sir..

Continuing on with the lack of available supplies issues.. a Peterborough timer seems a simple-ish DIY for 1S. ..
Seems that Ali express carries some of what Hobby King doesn't.
Jul 10, 2020, 04:09 PM
Find a local FF club that has Wakefield fliers as members. They go through lots of rubber and might be willing to sell you some or you might be able to piggy back on one of their orders.
Finding decent balsa will be another challenge for you.

Jim
Jul 10, 2020, 07:37 PM
B for Bruce
That's a good idea but there's nothing like that in our area. I found our Bare is near to me.

I got a bag of "mystery rubber" recently via an estate thing within the small FF group in my area. I've contacted Bare and will be mailing it to him. It's about a lb and a bit of various sizes and some made up motors he can cannibalize to suit his own needs.
Jul 10, 2020, 10:35 PM
Very kind of you Bruce.
I can understand some that build small for fun don't need a pound of rubber.
Jul 12, 2020, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhl33224
Find a local FF club that has Wakefield fliers as members. They go through lots of rubber and might be willing to sell you some or you might be able to piggy back on one of their orders.
Finding decent balsa will be another challenge for you.

Jim
Thank you for the info.
Merely a dilettante with rubber power, my needs are small, however I have a pair of grandaughters who .. are currently airplane fascinated.
ALL efforts are for them.
Happily Balsa isn't a problem. I maintain a supply of 4 to 6 lb balsa. in the appropriate size ranges as a matter of habit.
Actually I'm thinking I need to order some Medium grade wood, as I'm getting lowish on that..
Fewer $ to ship a box of Balsa to my front door than Fai Or Volare wants for a 1/4 lb box of Gummy band...
Jul 18, 2020, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Thank you for the info.

Fewer $ to ship a box of Balsa to my front door than Fai Or Volare wants for a 1/4 lb box of Gummy band...
Are you ordering balsa from inside Canada? It seems that in my various hobbies everybody complains about shipping costs from the US to Canada, and for good reason!
Jul 24, 2020, 08:46 AM
MAP
MAP
We ( Model Aviation Products) have made a deal with FAI to to distribute rubber in Canada. In about a week we should be ready to ship.

John
Jul 24, 2020, 10:57 AM
"We ( Model Aviation Products) have made a deal with FAI to to distribute rubber in Canada"

Woot,Woot!!! Please post when you are ready to ship, I have a few other items I'm in need of as well.

Glad to see you have the Gizmo Geezer products as well.
Jul 24, 2020, 02:47 PM
MAP
MAP
I just got word that it will be shipping on Monday so we should be shipping by the end of next week.

John
Jul 31, 2020, 05:26 PM
MAP
MAP
Rubber came in and will be posted to our web site after the long week end.

Thanks, John
Aug 07, 2020, 07:36 PM
MAP
MAP
We are shipping, John
Aug 21, 2020, 10:32 AM
Parcel arrived, all is good. That's a lot of rubber!!
Stay tuned for a second order shortly.
Thanks.

Quick Reply