This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 06, 2020, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

3D Printed Plane = ( ??? )

The fuselage is prinTED and I have mixed feelings about it .

Fuse 01 = 26.8 grams ..
A) Came out of the printer OK , looks ok ! The tabs used for joining Fuse 01 to Fuse 02 are fragile and under engineered . Pictured is carbon rod re-enforcement . The bottom tabs have already broken off . Fuse 01 is strong , really strong .
B) There are certain design flaws aside from the weak joining tabs . The motor .. Has to go in before you glue the fuse and then what ? If the screws come lose how do you tighten them after assembly ? Obviously you need to break the damned thing .
C) Weight . Cant get past the fact that there is a lot of weight here for good or bad .

Fuse 02 = 17.7 grams
A) Little to complain about here , possibly the best thought out part

Fuse 03 = 18 grams
A) Seriously strong , possibly overly engineered and heavy for it's size .

Fuse 04 = 20.3 grams
A) Porky Pig .. Again I think over engineered and seriously over weight .
B) The joining tab is way short , this is a design flaw ( in my opinion ) and creates a weak point .
C) ???? I dont know about the tail section ...

Over all , it's probably the most refined model out there for free . ( Printable ) But if we do the maths
26.8 + 17.7 + 18 + 20.3 = 82.8 grams ..

And thats just the Fuse ...
I dont think I have a motor that can fit and pull a house brick at the moment .
Sort of Ho humming continuing , but I think I have to ..
Pictured = I fitted a small motor and folding prop , but they only do about 150 grams thrust as a combo .
To fly this safely , I would assume at least a minimum of 250 grams of thrust ..
If this really has a projected weight of 450 grams .. Thats a lot of weight .
I think you want it a lot lighter than that . But you may need a lot of motor to compensate for the heavy ass on this plane ( CG )

to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2020, 03:53 AM
I agree that probably it is a little heavy, depends on how it is strong after assembly. I made a similar fuse in fiberglass (I will probable make a post about is as soon as I have a video of the flying model) and was 41 grams, but I have the feeling it is a little bit weak. I presume the good compromise will be around 55/60 gr. I was able to install the motor (T-motor F80) in front of it inserting screws form inside with a long enough screwdeiver. do not forget it is supposed to be a pilon model, which means that you will need a much stronger motor than the one you used.
I adopted the F80 2500kv and use 6s 1300mAh 100c and with a 4.5x4.5 prop I read 930W on groung, for a total weight of 560 gr. Hope it will be fast.
Jul 07, 2020, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
I have two motors ..
2208 1400kv and a 2212 2700kv

I will put both motors on the test stand to see what sort of thrust I can get on 2s with various props . 22xx is right on the maximum width that will fit in the model .

Also that CG (?) .. I am going to build this one from the Tail forward .
Jul 07, 2020, 06:15 PM
The F80 is on the 22xx size and is capable of 45 A for 60 s and I am using it at 42/43 A on the ground, which means probably 38/39 in flight; considering that the motor in on the front in open air the cooling is at the maximum and I presume I can use it continuosly at the maximum throttle.
So I believe you will need a motor that could run at minimum 25/27 A and then you can use at 3 or 4 or 5 s, depending on the power you want, selecting the propelle size to stay within amperage limit.
I my opinion, as it is claimed to be a pilon racer, you should use it like that and not as a glider, but at the end with this hobby the intent is to enjoy jourself, and that is what you should do anyway.
Jul 07, 2020, 07:32 PM

what are your retraction settings used on that tail?

Looks like the extruder kept oozing out filement while moving.
Increasing retraction reduces that and that will result in a less heavy tail.
Jul 07, 2020, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Retraction set to zero .... I will clean the parts before assembly .

Motor = I want to run 2s .. Speed has little interest for me .
As long as it can fly and be fun to fly , thats all that matters for me . ( FUN )
( If it's not fun - don't do it )
Jul 08, 2020, 02:39 AM
Exactly what I sayed: just enjoy yourself!!

Quick Reply