Apr 28, 2005, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
Question

Bug build off for College Engineering Students... need a little help

Hi Guys

I am putting to gether a leasson for some students here at my school, to introduce them to RC flight, composite materials, and aerodynamic basics. I chose the Bug HLG as the perfect little plane for them to build. I have a few questions though about loadout equipment.

We plan on building about 5 of the bugs and would like to know what equipment, servos, reciver, and batteries that you all have had success with. Cost is a big concern for this project, but radios are not an issue. Any help would be great.

Mike
UMR
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2005, 06:53 PM
Lots of good Bug info here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/
Apr 28, 2005, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Thankyou
Apr 28, 2005, 11:55 PM
Most people are using a GWS GWR-4P receiver because it's about the lightest you can get but it can have interference problems. A FMA M5 receiver is a bit pricy but gets better reception. I used Hitec HS-50 servos, but there are some new small servos that would work. 8 or 9 ounce torque servos are fine. Use the plans radio gear placement as just a suggestion. Once the glider is built place the gear where necessary to balance. My tail was a bit heavy (+ tail) so I wound up putting all radio gear forward of the wing.
Apr 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
Well, Guys thanks alot for all the help. With a little funding I hope to get this little project off the ground. With the GWS recivers is their a way to reduce the interference?

Mike
Apr 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
Keep the antenna stretched out and at full length. Route it away from carbon. You should be fine especially on a small model - the visual range is not that large anyway. GWS Rxs have worked fine on everything from a Shockflyer to a Pocket F/A-18 Falcon.... I've had the Falcon specked out at almost half a mile away with no problems.
Apr 29, 2005, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
My group has a backing from Hitec! YEAH! We are able to get the servos at cost. Now to see if i can push them to get recivers....
Apr 29, 2005, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjobs
Keep the antenna stretched out and at full length. Route it away from carbon. You should be fine especially on a small model - the visual range is not that large anyway. GWS Rxs have worked fine on everything from a Shockflyer to a Pocket F/A-18 Falcon.... I've had the Falcon specked out at almost half a mile away with no problems.
I'm fine with the GWS at my home field, but went to a hand launch contest last year and even though noone was on my channel, with about ten people flying, I lost all control 45 feet from the Bug. It actually nosed under and landed inverted without damage.

Quick Reply