Thread Tools
Jul 04, 2020, 04:19 AM
The installer has to be in Administrator mode because it is writing files into C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS\ and also because the USB drivers are required to be installed in Administrator mode.

In order for the XDP program to be able to write data to the C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS folder (which is needed for writing the .ini as well as updating itself), the program has to be run in Administrator mode.

I don't see a problem with this on Windows 10 home edition, which is what I personally use.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2020, 07:12 AM
Build more, websurf less
FlyingW's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
You hold the PROG button until it turns RED, not orange. At that point you are in push button programming mode. When you press and release the PROG button the LED will cycle between RED, GREEN, and ORANGE. Once it is on orange, set it to two flashes (XJT input mode).
Ok, just did the push button programming.

The initial color sequence was: Green, Orange, then Red. While in orange I see two green blinks, so it appears that I achieved XJT-D16 mode.

Can you please tell what the best default values for use in the United States for the power level (red) and hopping (green) modes? My module is currently set to:

Power level (red) = 1
Hopping Mode (green) = 2
Input Mode (orange) = 2

I did not want to intentionally change either of those, but I can't rule out that I may have prior to becoming more proficient at the programming interface.
Jul 04, 2020, 08:14 AM
Build more, websurf less
FlyingW's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The installer has to be in Administrator mode because it is writing files into C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS\ and also because the USB drivers are required to be installed in Administrator mode.

In order for the XDP program to be able to write data to the C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS folder (which is needed for writing the .ini as well as updating itself), the program has to be run in Administrator mode.

I don't see a problem with this on Windows 10 home edition, which is what I personally use.
Here is a video of the disappearing XDP screen. Windows 10 Home edition, version 2004. Programs installed as Administrator with virus scanning turned off. Program run as Administrator with virus scan turned off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hg3...ew?usp=sharing
Jul 04, 2020, 09:08 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The installer has to be in Administrator mode because it is writing files into C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS\ and also because the USB drivers are required to be installed in Administrator mode.

In order for the XDP program to be able to write data to the C:\Program Files(x86)\XPS folder (which is needed for writing the .ini as well as updating itself), the program has to be run in Administrator mode.

I don't see a problem with this on Windows 10 home edition, which is what I personally use.
Thanks for your quick response. I understand all that but what about the update that gets done when the XDP checks for a new version and installs or tries to install that new version? Wouldn't that result in an incomplete install? Don't you have to be in administrator mode for that too? Or do I need to start the XDP program in administrator mode so it can do that new version update inside the XDP program?
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 04, 2020, 09:09 AM
Registered User
Smyk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Ok, just did the push button programming.

The initial color sequence was: Green, Orange, then Red. While in orange I see two green blinks, so it appears that I achieved XJT-D16 mode.

Can you please tell what the best default values for use in the United States for the power level (red) and hopping (green) modes? My module is currently set to:

Power level (red) = 1
Hopping Mode (green) = 2
Input Mode (orange) = 2

I did not want to intentionally change either of those, but I can't rule out that I may have prior to becoming more proficient at the programming interface.

Bingo
You are in the game

Mike
Jul 04, 2020, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Smyk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemax
Thanks for your quick response. I understand all that but what about the update that gets done when the XDP checks for a new version and installs or tries to install that new version? Wouldn't that result in an incomplete install? Don't you have to be in administrator mode for that too? Or do I need to start the XDP program in administrator mode so it can do that new version update inside the XDP program?
For that you use properly installed "Updater" and run it in Administrator mode and it works

Mike
Jul 04, 2020, 09:25 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyk
For that you use properly installed "Updater" and run it in Administrator mode and it works

Mike
I am not sure I am coming across clearly. I understand about running as administrator when you install the software for the first time. I am talking about the update under the help menu after it has been installed. I do not run the XDP itself as an administrator only the initial software install.
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 04, 2020, 09:40 AM
Registered User
Smyk's Avatar
Update tool bar is for a software to update

now you shut the XDP program

Open the UPDATER in ADMIN mode ( right click , second line )

you have to putt module in Firmawe update mode. Simply hold the PROG button while putting the TX power on. Hold the Prog button until orange light shows. Leave orange ON.
Start Updater as above

connect to the device

flash the device with upgrade

you done

shut the TX

power on the module again

go to orange

check the device for current version if it got updated using the Updater again

Mike
Jul 04, 2020, 09:53 AM
Build more, websurf less
FlyingW's Avatar
Thread OP
I reckon that what BlueMax is referring to is the automatic update from XDP 3.9 to XDP 4.0 that the XDP program does to itself when you click on the "Check for updates" selection under Help.

The question is: When the XDP program auto updates as a result of clicking that button, does it do it in Administrator mode?
Jul 04, 2020, 09:58 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
Thanks guys.

I will go back in the corner and keep quiet now as I am getting you off topic. Not my intent.

But before I go I have the XDP program installed on Windows 7, Windows 10 Home, and Windows 10 Pro as well as on XP in the Windows Virtual machine . They all work as they should. So I do not believe the version of Windows is the problem. Loads, views, changes, as well as read and write the eprom. I am having Norton virus issues but I can easily get around those.

I hope you guys get your issues fixed. Have a good holiday weekend and be safe.
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 04, 2020, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Smyk's Avatar
I run everything in ADM mode
Jul 04, 2020, 10:25 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyk
I run everything in ADM mode
Everything I download from the XPS site I run in ADM to install. The only exception is updaters like updater59.exe. Those I don't. The XDP updateror other software like that, I do. But once it is installed I don't run in ADM. Unless you are saying I need to. But everything works fine without running it in ADM.

These I run in ADM
https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/x...xdp_update.exe
https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xdp/xdp_setup.exe

These I don't
https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xdp/updater59.exe
"C:\Program Files (x86)\XPS\XDP.exe"
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 04, 2020, 10:38 AM
Build more, websurf less
FlyingW's Avatar
Thread OP
thebluemax,

Ok, some progress maybe.

I never even saw that xdp_update program. I kept getting new versions of the XDP program itself from the XDP page. Where did you locate the XDP_update program?

I tried running it in ADM mode with virus scan turned off and got the error below. I'm getting depressed now...

Thanks,

Paul
Jul 04, 2020, 10:50 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
It was on the XDP page. I think this was the one that fixed my problem as I was trying to set my XPS JR TX module up to use with my Jumper T-16.

https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/xdp.php
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 04, 2020, 11:01 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thebluemax's Avatar
actually, it was here in this picture . still on the same page but further down.
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Inav Configurator 2.0 No Longer Runs in Windows 10 mmoore112 Beginner Multirotor Drones 2 Dec 07, 2018 05:29 PM
Discussion When you can no longer lie. 62pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Sep 22, 2018 03:12 PM
Discussion No longer can you see a list of items on each order - Yes You Can Berkie HobbyKing 2 Nov 19, 2016 05:05 AM
Help! UDI 839 can no longer lift off - two rotors overpower others and send it sideways jji79 Mini Multirotor Drones 4 Jan 17, 2016 02:23 PM
Help! CX program box no longer runs servos 2Doggs Electric Heli Talk 0 Feb 20, 2014 09:19 PM