Jul 02, 2020, 12:03 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Question

Can no longer run the XDP Program

Just received my XPS JR-type transmitter module and wanted to check the settings in the XDP program.

To begin I pushed and held the programming button while powering on the transmitter (Taranis), waited a few seconds for the led to turn green, then waited another few seconds for it to turn red, then waited another few seconds for it to turn orange.

I was able to connect to the XDP program when running as Administrator, and saw the screen as below. I'm using a Windows 10 PC.

But as soon as I clicked on the "View/Change Settings" button the program disappeared from the screen.

I figured it was the virus protection, so I uninstalled XDP. I also removed the XDP directory manually after the uninstall program completed, but could not until I rebooted the PC, because it still said those files were still being used by the XDP program.

Then I turned off virus protection and re-installed XDP as the Administrator.

Then I added the XDP directory and XDP executable to the list of virus scan exclusions.

I also enabled the XDP program to be allowed through the firewall.

Then I rebooted again. After the reboot I turned off virus protection again.

Trying to click on the "View/change Settings" button still caused the program to fail.

Please help - what am I missing?

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Jul 03, 2020 at 08:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2020, 12:23 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Just noticed in another thread that this is problem is not unique to me. below are the files present in the XDP directory. It appears that I do not have an ".ini" file either, however; I did install the application while in Administrator mode.

Thank you for your help.
Jul 02, 2020, 12:35 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Just noticed on the XDP aplication under the help tab that there was a "check for updates" selection. I clicked it and it said there was a later version.

When seemed to automatically install it and I now had XDP version 4.0.

The "View/Change Settings" button still caused the program to fail.
Jul 02, 2020, 12:44 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
I think I figured it out: Need to use the XPS updater59 to bring the XPS JR module up to date with the Taranis-compatible software. Am trying that now and will report...

Nope, wasn't it, already had the latest software on the XPS JR module.
Jul 02, 2020, 08:40 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
can't you just use note pad and create an XDP.ini file?
the only things in the file are

[Configuration]
Language=English
AutoUpdate=True
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 03, 2020, 06:27 AM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
thebluemax,

I took another look and I actually do have the XDP.ini file; it is listed as "Configuration settings."

Thanks for the idea,

Paul
Jul 03, 2020, 10:28 AM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
I am trying to use the push button method to change my XPS JR-type transmitter module to XJT-D16.

I hold the button while powering up and wait until it turns orange.

I cannot get any other reaction out of it - I tried short and long button presses without result.

Can anyone give me a tip on this?

Thanks,

Paul
Jul 03, 2020, 02:04 PM
You hold the PROG button until it turns RED, not orange. At that point you are in push button programming mode. When you press and release the PROG button the LED will cycle between RED, GREEN, and ORANGE. Once it is on orange, set it to two flashes (XJT input mode).
Jul 03, 2020, 02:37 PM
What did you mean by this:

"Trying to click on the "View/change Settings" button still caused the program to fail."

What you describe is that the entire program is quitting on it's own, not missing text.
Jul 03, 2020, 03:06 PM
program is running
only interface ( XDP window) is gone and it can not be controlled by the program anymore
You have to shut the program manually to start over again

Mike
Jul 03, 2020, 05:48 PM
I wonder if this is some new Windows 10 thing. I don't see it on our programming machines, which all run Vista. I will try it on my Windows 10 desktop.
Jul 03, 2020, 06:03 PM
Last time I have run it correctly was Windows 7

M
Jul 03, 2020, 09:42 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
I just went and checked on my PC in my shop which is running windows 10 Pro and the XDP program works just fine.

Saying that I remember I had a problem a couple of months ago with the XDP program. It was the first time I had used it in a while. I can't remember what the exact problem was but it was definitely not working. Could have been the same disappearing act but i cannot say for sure. I had a saved copy of the XDP software on my PC. So I uninstalled what was on there and then installed the software copy I had as administrator. It did not fix the problem. Same results.

I went to the web site and downloaded a new fresh copy of the XDP software. Again I uninstalled what was on there and then installed the fresh copy as an administrator and everything works just fine since then and even tonight when I just checked before posting this.

If you haven't recently downloaded a fresh copy from the web site give it a try. Maybe it will fix your problem.
Good luck
Bill
Jul 03, 2020, 09:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
What did you mean by this:

"Trying to click on the "View/change Settings" button still caused the program to fail."

What you describe is that the entire program is quitting on it's own, not missing text.
The entire XDP window disappears.

I'm using Windows 10 Home edition and not Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks for the programming button tip; will try it tomorrow.
Jul 03, 2020, 10:14 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Just noticed on the XDP aplication under the help tab that there was a "check for updates" selection. I clicked it and it said there was a later version.

When seemed to automatically install it and I now had XDP version 4.0.

The "View/Change Settings" button still caused the program to fail.
I have a question about this that maybe Jim can answer.

If you have to install the software as an administrator how can the XDP program be successfully updated when you are in the XDP program using check for updates install? When running the XDP program aren't you not running it as an administrator. So wouldn't that be the same as installing the software without the administration mode?

Quick Reply