Jul 01, 2020, 04:05 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
New Product

Durafly Goblin Racer

New 800mm wingspan Racer from HobbyKing. Quick assembly. Drop in your receiver and a 1000-1800mAh 4S lipoly battery and you're ready to roll.

Our maiden flight video here....

DURAFLY GOBLIN RACER !!! ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (LOW and FAST) (7 min 2 sec)

Tips:
1) At the top of the fuselage, check that the gap between the spinner backplate and the fuselage is approx 4mm. If it is not, you will need to add a washer behind the top '+' motor mount. This is to ensure the correct amount of down thrust.
2) It is recommended to reinforce the elevator hinge line with tape.
3) balance the prop (and ideally spinner) before flying
4) Check that the motor mounting screws are tight.
5) Replace the ball links for the supplied clevises
6) Confirm the model is correctly balanced on the CG.

It is very important to setup the control throws on your transmitter as recommended on the guidance sheet included in the kit. We would go further and setup 3 different rates on a 3 position switch separately for ailerons and elevator with the recommended throws as the maximum and rates at 60% and 30% of that. You could also add 30% exponential for precision around the centre of the sticks.

We strongly advise you get someone else to launch the Goblin for you so you can keep your gingers on the sticks. Launch at 2/3rds throttle to limit the effect of torque rotation when it leaves the hand of whoever throws it. At full throttle it will roll to the left on departure and you need to be ready to counter it with some right aileron.

Get height after launch and trim out for hands off level flight at half throttle. When done that....you can scream across the strip, roll 90 degrees and pull some hard high G turns ! Enjoy.

GOBLIN YELLOW and BLACK: https://bit.ly/duraflyGoblinYellowBlack
GOBLIN PINK and PURPLE: https://bit.ly/duraflyGoblinPinkPurple
Last edited by DominicM; Jul 01, 2020 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2020, 09:06 AM
Are we there yet?
Nice video, bit of an ouch on the landing but shows it can take a bit of bump or 2 . Your tips are helpful too, hopefully they'll help avoid some maiden disasters.

Any reason you recommend swapping the ball links? The EFxtra had them and were fine on stock setups.

What battery was used for the flight? I have some 1800 4s 50c which are way heavier than the recommended weight, in fact HK list no 4s 1800 under the max recommended weight

I'm tempted to order one but don't want something that needs someone else to launch. Saying that, my Dogfighter has a bit of torque at launch and is of a similar size so half the battle is knowing what to expect and don't have rates too high.

Motor size is the same as the EFxtra, probably won't be long before someone upgrades the Goblin with that I'm sure
Jul 01, 2020, 09:54 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
Answering your questions feefo...

It's a HK recommendation to swap the aileron ball links. There's always a slight chance ball links could pop out due to the slight push rod twist that occurs during servo movement. No chance of that with the clevis\horn approach. I've not changed yet and no problem but intend to because I will push the Goblin faster and lower.
I used 4S1300 lipo push forward as far would go.
My advice was to have someone launch for the first flight when the Goblin won't be trimmed out for straight level flight. If you are competent at self hand launching with other models you'll be fine after that.
Don't launch at more than 2/3 throttle. The torque roll to the left is wicked when it leaves the launcher's hand at full throttle.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:33 AM
Are we there yet?
Thanks for the reply.

Seems strange HK simply don't get clevises put on as standard if they recommend swapping them although not difficult to do by the owner.

As long as the plane flies straight then torque roll isn't a problem, but easy to panic and over control especially on a maiden. Club rules currently prevent anyone helping with launching, makes things a little more difficult.

I'll wait for more reviews before I make a decision, I should find a use for my 1800's and not buy more batteries really but it looks like a fun cheap plane to own.
Jul 01, 2020, 01:40 PM
Something about the lines and proportions looks familiar to me.
Jul 02, 2020, 01:17 AM
The plane looks small enough to grip easily for hand launch. From one of the clips it seems clear that you just shouldn't use too much throttle on launch..
Jul 02, 2020, 02:34 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The plane looks small enough to grip easily for hand launch. From one of the clips it seems clear that you just shouldn't use too much throttle on launch..
Yeah...you really shouldn't but I keep forgetting. Thankfully I still have lightning fast reactions
Jul 02, 2020, 02:37 AM
That will simply buff out
Interesting - how does it compare with original Rare Bear funfighter?
Jul 08, 2020, 07:18 PM
hi regarding the ball link i dont think they are going to pop off i tried to swap the ones in the wing and the ball link broke with the force I had to apply to get it to come off , did you have to add any weight to get CG as it seems a couple of reviews mention it , I am going to use 1.6 4s pack and removed the small foam blocks behing the motor so that the battery can be put further foward and it seems to balance ok ,your thoughts , oh weather has prevented a maiden as yet
Jul 12, 2020, 05:26 PM
Anybody on 6s yet..?
Jul 14, 2020, 01:26 AM
Over on the other main Goblin thread in the Electric Airplanes section, what I gather from what people are saying is that 1.) there's not a whole lot of battery space, 2.) CG can be a challenge with a larger battery(4S 1300 all the way forward is apparently ideal.. Bigger batteries add weight rearward, which is not..), 3.) the ESC is in some kind of weird place.. Added weight and size of a larger ESC for 6S could be an issue??., 4.) apparently it has some weird prop size, so other props are not a direct fit..., and 5.) apparently it goes right about 100mph stock. It's a fat plane, so one wonders how much speed can actually be gained by going 6S...

Sounds like a bit of a project if you want to go 6S....

100mph doesn't quite pique my interest the way 120 would, so I'm holding back.. It is well priced though, and kind of cool looking.
Jul 14, 2020, 01:36 PM
JohnVHRC
Durafly GOBLIN Speed Runs! Radar gun attempts (3 min 1 sec)
Jul 15, 2020, 04:54 PM
Hi, Started the Goblin build and most awkward part amazingly was getting the ball links off. One off the metal ball links did snap quite easily so not sure if this was the weak link and not the plastic link popping off.
Jul 18, 2020, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees
Hi, Started the Goblin build and most awkward part amazingly was getting the ball links off. One off the metal ball links did snap quite easily so not sure if this was the weak link and not the plastic link popping off.
Had the same issue... Pita.
Makes you wonder if it is really necessary
Jul 29, 2020, 11:09 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
I have one of these. My flying buddy got his before mine arrived so saw it fly over the past weekend. On a 4S 2200 lipo and stock prop radar gun passes were all around 90 mph (very disappointing). The prop sound is rather loud like low pitch high rpm and seems like it not pulling at higher rpm. maybe the prop is flexing and loosing pitch or something. So after seeing that flight I swapped my stock prop for an APC 7x7 sport prop and it tested about 38 amps on a 4S 2200 so will go with that for my maiden. Also have an APC 7 x 8 to try out as well. Will get the radar gun on that and see if its any better. My buddies EXF racer is way faster on 4S than this on 4S. We were both disappointed but I think it the issue is the stock prop is too flexible.

Quick Reply