Jun 30, 2020, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Need help with setting up reverse thrust on my ESC

I have a WinDragon 100 amp ESC by Flycolor, it has a reverse thrust feature built into the ESC. Has anyone been able to set up reverse thrust on a ducted fan set up? I have it on a Sapac BAE Hawk. It has the normal 3 wire plus an extra single lead coming from the ESC like any other and it tells me to plug into a two stage switch or channel. So does that mean I plug the normal throttle 3 wire connector to the throttle port on the Rx and then plug the single wire to a signal port of an AUX channel? If yes, Its not working, Any help would be appreciated. Also how would I program my spektrum radio. The instructions are very vague.

thank you
Last edited by Hornet1; Jul 01, 2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added text
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2020, 10:33 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Connect the white wire to the Signal pin on channel 5 of your receiver (this will be the top or bottom pin depending on which way you look at the RX). On your TX, program channel 5 for a switch (or leave it the way it defaults). Reverse that channel if the switch works opposite of what you want. The ESC appears to provide full throttle in either direction depending on the state of that white wire, so it doesn't matter which way you have the switch control it.
Jun 30, 2020, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Connect the white wire to the Signal pin on channel 5 of your receiver (this will be the top or bottom pin depending on which way you look at the RX). On your TX, program channel 5 for a switch (or leave it the way it defaults). Reverse that channel if the switch works opposite of what you want. The ESC appears to provide full throttle in either direction depending on the state of that white wire, so it doesn't matter which way you have the switch control it.
Thank you for your input. So here is my lead from my ESC as you can see it has a 4th wire for the throttle reverse thrust. Hopefully this gives you a better idea
Jul 01, 2020, 01:24 AM
Change "white" to "yellow" and follow the same instructions. If your airplane has retracts, you'll want channel 5 for that, so plug the yellow wire on to the bottom pin of the channel you do want to use, either "Gear" or "Aux1" or higher. Figure out which switch operates that channel on your TX and that will be the thrust reverse switch.
Jul 01, 2020, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
I Cant get it to work
Jul 01, 2020, 09:01 PM
Try the top pin on the RX instead of the bottom.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
rocketsled666 thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. when you said change the white wire for the yellow wire, did you mean remove the white wire from the connector and insert the yellow wire in the connector did you? Ive tried the top pin and the bottom pin, even the middle pin and it doesn't work.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:46 PM
Fly Eat Sleep Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet1
rocketsled666 thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. when you said change the white wire for the yellow wire, did you mean remove the white wire from the connector and insert the yellow wire in the connector did you? Ive tried the top pin and the bottom pin, even the middle pin and it doesn't work.
Leave the white signal wire as is (plugged into the throttle channel)

Plug the yellow signal wire into the top pin of the channel you have configured the switch to control your reverse.

Which channel and switch have you setup for reverse?
Jul 01, 2020, 11:26 PM
Yah. Yikes! No! What I meant was that I assumed the single reverse control wire was white, but your picture showed it was yellow. So I meant follow my directions again but use the yellow wire, not the white wire! Sorry!
Jul 01, 2020, 11:30 PM
Thread OP
No worries I didn't do that I will try again tomorrow. The included instructions are so frustrating because they are so vague
Jul 01, 2020, 11:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy852
Leave the white signal wire as is (plugged into the throttle channel)

Plug the yellow signal wire into the top pin of the channel you have configured the switch to control your reverse.

Which channel and switch have you setup for reverse?
Hi Andy Im using a DX9 transmitter for this one. Im using Switch H, Its a two stage, meaning it has only two positions and its active. I have programmed the ESC to activate the reverse motor feature but somehow I still cant get it to work Im using Aux 3
Last edited by Hornet1; Jul 02, 2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added text
Jul 02, 2020, 12:12 AM
Fly Eat Sleep Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet1
Hi Andy Im using a DX9 transmitter for this one. Im using Switch H, Its a two stage, meaning it has only two positions and its active. I have programmed the ESC to activate the reverse motor feature but somehow I still cant get it to work Im using Aux 3
Did you assign Aux 3 to use Switch H in the digital switch setup menu, if so what are the values of the two positions in Switch H? (-100, 100)?
Jul 02, 2020, 12:15 AM
Thread OP
Yes its assigned, the values are 100, -100
Jul 03, 2020, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Ok guys, I have tried what its been suggested in this thread to get my reverse thrust working but I have been unable to. Any other ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

thanks
Jul 03, 2020, 04:05 PM
Post a closeup picture of your RX with everything plugged in and verified working (with the exception of reverse thrust, which you'd verify doesn't work. But plug that in so it's in the picture, too).

Quick Reply