Jun 30, 2020, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Help!

MZ-32 Basic Setup Hangs. Forced Updates Do Not Work.

I had acquired an MZ-32 that arrived working normally and had the latest version update. I was able to successfully setup my first model on the bench.

Then, late at night, I was pondering checking out Firmware Updater Studio 4.9.3.2. What harm could arise, I thought it would only overwrite existing files. Right? I should have first exported/saved the SD card contents to my PC as was recommended. Dang.

I clicked on "mz-32 firmware download" which downloaded a lot of files. Where? It did not say, but eventually, a message appeared saying it was successful. No problem.

Then, I tried the WLAN process, but its screen seemed to be stuck on Mass Storage icon, and MZ-32 would not power off. To remedy that, I disconnected the battery.

After reconnecting battery, I power on the MZ-32, and it goes into a Basic Setup process as though this was the first time it was ever powered on. I selected all the correct options for me, and it arrives at the "Thanks. Basic Settings Are Set" completion window which displays a red arrow. I tap on it. The Tx does not advance to a restart screen even after a minutes worth of waiting. And, it won't power off!

The manual states that for updates that hang, do the first Forced Update procedure. That did not work. Then, it says to to the Forced USB Update. That took me to a screen that says that the "Update" fold is missing, connect USB cable, the "Mass Storage" sentence is displayed, my PC's File Manage displays with a Drive letter. The odd thing is that instead of English folder and file names, these are in odd-looking characters. The folders Update, MP3, Voice, Help, and System Volume Information. Sys Vol Info is the only one that is NOT empty.

I am now assuming that the SD Card is corrupt. Windows File Mgr already indicated that it needs fixing. That might not work at all. Never has in the past. And, the SD Card happens to be installed under the rear case cover.

So does anyone have a solution? Do I need to acquire an SD card with data from a successful MZ-32? Do I reformat the card and fire up Studio? I am at a loss. Needless to say, I am really sorry I was curious. I have beat up myself enough and now I need some help.

With no USA tech support department available, I am in a barrel full of pickles. Someone help me get out, please.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2020, 02:29 PM
I would start with the scan and fix and see what happens. I've had luck with it fixing things in the past, but there is no guarantee you won't loose critical data. But if you do nothing, you're stuck anyway.
Jun 30, 2020, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Been thinking of solutions since my post.

Maybe if I could be forwarded a copy of someone's MZ-32 Update and System Volume Info folders, then I could satisfy the Force USB Update file search step.
Jun 30, 2020, 02:35 PM
Hi,

Uggh, doesn't that just suck... I hate it when crap like that happens!

I was experimenting with the MicroSd setup on my MZ32 while I was tearing it apart and doing some R/E of it, so I played with the contents of the SD quite a bit.

I zipped up the contents of my SD card when I first got my MZ32, I removed my test models from it, so there are no models in this setup. Although you may still get some 'configuration' that is specific to how mine is setup now, but no big deal, just the little minor things like default volume, etc...

So it looks like your SD card is totally trashed, I don't think you can even get your model that you created.... had you saved it off to your PC before it got wrecked? if not, no big deal, models aren't that bad to create.. and the more you do it the easier it gets!

So do this:

1) Download the zip file linked below, unpack to a folder on your PC...

2) FORMAT that SDcard.. just do a 'full format' and not just a 'quick format' as you really want to init all of the sectors on that SD card... since it is really messed up...

3) Copy the contents from my zip file to your SD card.. and reboot the MZ32, see if it comes back up..

There also is a copy of the 'mz32 1032' update (the latest) in the \Update folder in that image, so if the update screwed up more things, maybe it will find that file and finish the update..

Good luck... hopefully this works?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AheOXycY6vAdgU2Z...nFxBs?e=SH8V67

FYI.. this file is about 550MB as the zip file, unpacked it's about 900MB or so... just a heads up that the file is not small
Last edited by mikes_md; Jul 02, 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Jun 30, 2020, 02:45 PM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...21%21%21/page4

post #51-65

You will have to get the MZ-32 OEM files somewhere. Maybe from Studio.
Jun 30, 2020, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Thank you, MikeS_MD. I will let you know in about an hour how things worked out.
Jun 30, 2020, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcoop
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...21%21%21/page4

post #51-65

You will have to get the MZ-32 OEM files somewhere. Maybe from Studio.
GRCOOP. Your post was very helpful.
For future use, I ordered 2 Micro SD 23Gig V30 cards from OfficeMax. I am not believing that this will never happen again.

On a Sandisk 64Gig that I had available, and as an an exploratory effort, I found that SD Formatter did not offer any file format selection. For the same micro SD 64Gig card, Win10 showed that SD Formatter's Format was exFat.
Win10, on my PC, only offered exFAT or NTFS. There was no selection for MS-DOS 32FAT in the dropdown box. Maybe via some other way that requires further exploration, or maybe Win10 would format the original MZ-32 card as 32FAT. Have no desire to explore that right now.

That is what Lufo stated in his post.
Jun 30, 2020, 05:13 PM
This tool works quite well for formatting SD cards (there are other free ones as well)...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
Jun 30, 2020, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_md
Hi,

Uggh, doesn't that just suck... I hate it when crap like that happens!

I was experimenting with the MicroSd setup on my MZ32 .....
So do this:

1) Download the zip file linked below, unpack to a folder on your PC...

2) FORMAT that SDcard.. just do a 'full format' and not just a 'quick format' as you really want to init all of the sectors on that SD card... since it is really messed up...

3) Copy the contents from my zip file to your SD card.. and reboot the MZ32, see if it comes back up..

There also is a copy of the 'mz32 1032' update (the latest) in the \Update folder in that image, so if the update screwed up more things, maybe it will find that file and finish the update..

Good luck... hopefully this works? .....

Mike,

HOLY SMOKES! That worked out great! THANKS for saving my ..... me a lot of grief. See attached photos.

The only thing I failed to do was Step 2. I am not leaving out the possibility of another corrupt card event. I ordered 2 micro SD V30 32Gig cards from Office Depot. And, yes, Win10's Scan and Fix did get rid of all those folders and files with the odd-looking characters. But, the important files were all empty. Zero contents.

In every attempt that I did before today, the Forced USB Update was always looking for the Update Folder. It was in the MZ-32, but it was an empty folder, as I said above. There was no way for me to get it if grStudio cannot even see/find the MZ-32 due to it being corrupted. Keep that in mind. If you have not done so, export or save your MZ-32 folders to your PC or laptop. For there is no Graupner Download center in the USA, yet.

All the files are not residing in my PC. Other thought is that I could have waited copying the gr studio file into the MZ-32. That was not necessary putting back into the MZ-32. All in all, it took about 40 minutes to copy.

The result is that there is a "New Model" in the Model List. And, yes, it is easy to create a another one.

As for replacing the micro SD card, I suppose that y'all know that Yufasa YT video explains how to manage that. Looks easy to me as I have taken apart cell phones and DSLRs and zoom lenses before.

Thanks one more time.
Jun 30, 2020, 05:33 PM
Awesome.. glad to hear it's up and running!

And yes, was just going to mention, Yufasa did an amazing job with all his videos... I highly recommend watching them just to learn all the cool things you can do with this radio!

https://www.youtube.com/user/yufasa1/videos
Jun 30, 2020, 05:48 PM
Well...your SD is corrupted. This is a known issue in the MZ-32 and many people have replaced that SD card. Somewhere, I think on the MZ-32 thread, is a lot more detail.

As I recall, SDFormater formats a file type based on they type of card. Here is a blurb from the manual:

2.2 SD Cards Capacity Types
The SD Card Formatter formats the following SD Card capacity types.
- SD up to 2GB
- SDHC more than 2GB up to 32GB
- SDXC more than 32GB up to 2TB

and a link ....

SD Capacity

Now, you can format the card to almost any file type you want based on the device doing the formatting and the device using the card.

I believe that Manny/GUSA had mentioned the MZ-32 would not address any memory past 16gig and to use FAT32.

A reason to use SDFormat is it leaves some protected area alone where as Windows does not. That area is used by the device (TX, Camera, etc) for its own use, if designed to do so. Manny had mentioned ( as I recall) to use Windows to do the formatting so perhaps the MZ-32 ignores this protected area or its own file operating system takes it and blocks it off for its use.
Jun 30, 2020, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCS 1980
GRCOOP. Your post was very helpful.
For future use, I ordered 2 Micro SD 23Gig V30 cards from OfficeMax. I am not believing that this will never happen again.

On a Sandisk 64Gig that I had available, and as an an exploratory effort, I found that SD Formatter did not offer any file format selection. For the same micro SD 64Gig card, Win10 showed that SD Formatter's Format was exFat.
Win10, on my PC, only offered exFAT or NTFS. There was no selection for MS-DOS 32FAT in the dropdown box. Maybe via some other way that requires further exploration, or maybe Win10 would format the original MZ-32 card as 32FAT. Have no desire to explore that right now.

That is what Lufo stated in his post.
Everyone with these transmitters should have an extra SD card with the OEM files on hand just for this reason. Glad your up and running! Backup models often!
Jul 01, 2020, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcoop
Everyone with these transmitters should have an extra SD card with the OEM files on hand just for this reason. Glad your up and running! Backup models often!
Exactly! Save your models quite often!

Was just taking a look at this, as It almost seems as if Graupner somehow overlooked or forgot what datarates they were working with..

maybe during the design phase they were running their SD at slower clocks until they had all their code up and running... and then once it went to production they pushed up to 16Mhz, and forgot about their prototype setup with slower SD cards....god knows...

But their MicroSD is running in 4-bit mode on the STM32F429 processor, and it's SD CLK is at 16Mhz. So that gives them a throughput of 8MB/s.

** They should be running Class 10 Cards!! **

Maybe others can chime in on what class SD card their MZ32 came with, but mine came with the card shown in the attached pic, 16GB, Class 4. (I bought a floor model from a hobby shop so it was one of the earlier shipped ones)

It's so unreliable and pushing the design envelope when running a Class 4 at these speeds.

I can see why there has been so many cases of random corruption...

*** DEFINITELY recommend replacing your SDcard if you haven't already, now I realize I need to do mine as well ****

Yufasa did a great video on opening up the radio and replacing the card, not hard at all to do... just need some skinny/fine tip phillips screwdrivers...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1572
Jul 01, 2020, 12:13 PM
So now I see why everyone was replacing their SD cards back in the original MZ-32 discussion thread!

Graupner it seems has seriously missed an important component here.... but I haven't been following everything closely since it was first found, so I don't know if the MZ-32s are still being shipped with the Class4 cards, or did they finally change them?
Jul 01, 2020, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Anybody have a fix for this? After a successful revival of my MZ-32, something annoying has come up. Upon every Power On event, it takes me through the Basic Setup as though this is the first time Tx is used. The odder occurrence is that it creates a New Model each time. And, yes, I did create my own model completely and it stays there. But, every time I power on, a New Model appears (see photo below). I delete each instance, of course.

Therefore, I decided to reformat the MZ-32 card and re-install the folders. WTH, I already have some experience!

I proceeded to Full Format the card using SD Formatter app. Full format took a very long many hours for the green progress bar to get from one end of the scale to the other to complete that! At 32kb. What? I can only guess that there must be a very slow card in my MZ-32. I also guess that going through the Tx USB cable might be a cause for slowness.

As an exercise, I formatted a different card shown in the package below. SD Formatter fully completed in a less than 5 minutes. Sorry, I did not stick around for an accurate timing.

As for replacing the card in my MZ-32, I have yet to choose which of the two pictured cards will work without issues. In looking at Yufasa's video, the card you will see he is removing is a red and white one. For completing his video, he shows a PNY green and white card. Surely, it was an example. I am a photographer and video-grapher, and I would never utilize a PNY for critical work!

Mikes_MD - I believe you. I will not accept that the Graupner programmers ever agreed that their flagship MZ-32 system would not be hindered with old memory card technology. Who uses or still manufactures FAT32 cards past 2010? (Don't answer that. Not necessary to waste any time on that topic). There is no money in that. Imagine Spektrum, Jeti, others to be using FAT32 in their flagship models. For whatever reason, Graupner did not inform or update everybody on down the line and to the customers. Hope that made sense.

I think that this weekend I will perform a card replacement in my MZ-32 using the Extreme Plus card with V30. If that presents problems, then replace with the V10 card. I will let you know how that goes.

Again. If you know how to prevent the repetitive Power On issues that I described above, please let me know.
Thanks
Last edited by ARCS 1980; Oct 09, 2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply