This thread is privately moderated by Keith Kindrick, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 30, 2020, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

CVRC Bent Wing May 2020

Under the blistering skies of Visalia Phil Hill, Tim Johnson, with Chris and Steve George on the winches ran the 2020 CVRC Bent Wing contest and it is in the done column. Thank you guys! When it was postponed from May to June I knew it was going to be a warm weather event. The forecast was to 105+ degrees with 10 mph winds. The wind never showed up but the heat did. It was 102 on Friday, 106 on Saturday, and it cooled to 94 on Sunday which was wonderful. So many of us drank water by the litter on Saturday it was nonstop. I had to go to the store after Saturdays sizzle to get more sport drinks.

Saturday the lift was very spotty with very immature thermals starting all over the place and they just broke up. Several times I watched people start to climb then after 200 feet the lift broke up and it was glide to the landing. Steve George (Atomic) and Kent Nogy (Eagle) flew side by side at 200 feet fighting to work a thermal that did eventually allow them make their times. It was a great flight to watch as they coordinated turns together. Phil Hill drove his Marauder all over the site tracking for thermals multiple times sometimes finding lift and other times not. He fought like hell each flight. Larry Jolly brought his very nice Bird of Time come out to play with us. Unfortunately it had a soft steel joiner and took to Pigeon Dihedral on each launch. He eventually packed it away for another day. Don Northern was there with his Northwind. He literally was the three minute man. No matter what happened his timing was unfortunate this weekend. I had my own share of problems (Ava Pro) trying to track lift that just seemed to evade me. My best effort suckered Art Chmieiewski (Ava Pro) to a whopping 5 minutes and change on our 10 minute round. That one took us both down a few pegs. Several guys (John Armstrong, Steve Wilcox, his son) from Arizona showed up and even coerced Ali Khani (Ava Pro) to come up and play in the sun. Mark Browning (Eagle) flew his best to survive the inferno on Saturday leading the pack on day 1.

Sunday was a better and the lift was at least defined in the early flights. As the day progressed thermals did go up to 2000 feet and the wind remained calm. Mark Browning (Open Class) and Steve George (WOODY) had a lock on the weekend and they deserved their wins. We all had a great time and looked forward to the Fall Soaring Festival in October 2020.
Last edited by Keith Kindrick; Jul 01, 2020 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply