Jun 29, 2020, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Aeroflyte Nova Build

So as I mentioned in my Ace SS Mustang thread on here there's a fun weekend coming up near the end of August and the model of the meet is an old Aussie plane called an Aeroflyte Nova. I remember drooling over this kit way back when I was a kid. Well it's long out of production but the plans are still out there. There was a company here in Australia that had started to bring the Aeroflyte brand back to life but sadly they had a massive fire a few months back and they lost everything. The Nova was on the list of models to bring back

So while I'm waiting on the engine to arrive from Dave for the Mustang I thought I'd get a start on this little fella.

Just some details. It has a 46" wingspan and was designed for a 15. I have a couple of good 15's there so i'm right for an appropriate engine this time haha.

I had the plans printed out at our local office supplies and I started cutting a kit the old school way. With a knife hahaha.

I've included a picture of what the original box art plane used to look like. Stay tuned for more to follow.

Oh I started this thread in the Balsa Builders section but I thought i'd move it over to here
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2020, 11:49 PM
Pro Hoarder
Cool..looks a bit like Citabria Pro
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jun 29, 2020, 11:55 PM
Thread OP
Yeah a little bit hey haha.

I cut some more parts in my lunch break today. This working from home thing has it's benefits haha.

I need to get some more 1.5mm balsa though so I can cut the ribs.
Jun 30, 2020, 12:05 AM
Nice one! Was just this morning reading about the Oily Hands Weekend, If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would be there.
I built one of these from a kit in the late 80's, powered by an OS 15 "Shiny Case"
There is an original kit on ebay Aus at the moment, Someone really wants it!
I was going to build another actually, but have since found a plan for an identical looking model on Outerzone called "Small Wonder" so am going to do that instead.
Good luck with the build
Glenn
Jun 30, 2020, 12:12 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Good looking airplane. Have fun!
Jun 30, 2020, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenno69
Nice one! Was just this morning reading about the Oily Hands Weekend, If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would be there.
I built one of these from a kit in the late 80's, powered by an OS 15 "Shiny Case"
There is an original kit on ebay Aus at the moment, Someone really wants it!
I was going to build another actually, but have since found a plan for an identical looking model on Outerzone called "Small Wonder" so am going to do that instead.
Good luck with the build
Glenn
From one Glenn to another. Nice name Welcome aboard

I saw that one on Ebay. The price for it is just a bit out of hand

I plan on using either an OS 15 or perhaps a Magnum 15. The Magnum is new but the OS isn't. We'll see I guess.
Jun 30, 2020, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Good looking airplane. Have fun!
Thanks mate.
Jun 30, 2020, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y
From one Glenn to another. Nice name Welcome aboard

I saw that one on Ebay. The price for it is just a bit out of hand

I plan on using either an OS 15 or perhaps a Magnum 15. The Magnum is new but the OS isn't. We'll see I guess.
Thanks That's a coincidence!
Yeah, that kit will end up on a collector's shelf.
I think the used OS 15 would be fine, they could even be made to be interchangeable?
Cheers
G
Jul 01, 2020, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
A small update folks. I had some spare time to cut some more bits.

I have all of the fuselage parts done. I have about 6 wing ribs left to cut which I hope to get done today and then all I need to cut is the ply parts like the firewall, cabanes and a few other bits and pieces.

Once that's done i'll have a complete kit and assembly should start this weekend

Speaking of complete kits there is one of these kits on ebay at the moment and things have gone crazy. It has skyrocketed to $700 which is about $484 at the moment. Craziness haha. I'd have no more than about $80 ($55) in wood into this project haha.
Jul 01, 2020, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y

Speaking of complete kits there is one of these kits on ebay at the moment and things have gone crazy. It has skyrocketed to $700 which is about $484 at the moment. Craziness haha. I'd have no more than about $80 ($55) in wood into this project haha.
G'day Glenn,
You're making good progress.
Yeah I don't get it either, For me, The process of selecting the wood and cutting out the kit is the most enjoyable part! Especially for a simple model like this.
From memory the front turtle deck under the cabane was a substantial piece of balsa spindle moulded to shape, how are you getting around that?
Jul 01, 2020, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
That is correct. So I plan on changing the shape of the first former/firewall to have a rounded top and then just sheet it like normal. That will do away with that massive block of wood.
Jul 01, 2020, 09:31 PM
Nice one, sounds the way to go, look forward to seeing some photos after the weekend
G.
Jul 01, 2020, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
I just ducked out to the shed during my lunch break and have now finished up the wing ribs

The wing should be good to go now
Jul 02, 2020, 08:50 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Looking good, Glenn!
Jul 02, 2020, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tony. All things going to plan I hope to have the rest of the bits cut this weekend but that will depend on what my wife and kids have planned for me hahaha.

I'm itching to start gluing bits together hahaha.

Quick Reply