This thread is privately moderated by 3dxspin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 28, 2020, 01:42 PM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

DIY Slider upgrade for RadioMaster TX16S

A 3D printed DIY slider upgrade designed for RadioMaster TX16. The solutions has the following advantages (and probably some drawbacks too ;=))
  • Adjustable slider traction
  • Protected operation
  • Increased visibility
  • Easy installation

Demo video =>
DIY Slider upgrade for designed for RadioMaster TX16 (0 min 47 sec)

STL files may be found here.

Additional posts containing detailed information about the design and included parts etc will follow
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jul 01, 2020 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added pics
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2020, 02:55 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

General

I will make a few posts describing the design and include tips wherever applicable.

The upgrade slider assembly is a sandwich construction allowing the slider traction to be adjusted using the same principle as a disc brake.
I am quite happy with the performance and the installation is very simple - just replace the existing slider with a assembly of your choice. Yup, you will have to make a selection since two different bottom parts and of course several different slider types exist .

Feel free to ask questions or propose improvements etc.

Quick summary - Selection of parts to print =>
The following steps are required to determine a minimum set of 3D-parts to print (one bottom part, one pair of sliders, one top par)t:
1) Selection of bottom parts (A or B, see this post)
2) Selection or slider type (see this post)

The only remaining required part is the top part which is the same regardless of other selections
The pressure bar is optional (see this post)
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jul 01, 2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added quick summary
Jun 29, 2020, 03:30 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Bottom part - Type A vs Type B

First off, I call it bottom part since it will be the lowest part when mounting the assembly with the TX back cover removed.

The type A bottom part has a flange following the outline of the transmitter and the radius of the slider movement. Type B does not have this flange. Thus, there is no functional difference i.e. it is more about "appearance". Assuming the same slider length type B do allow a little bit bigger slider knob.

Attached are a few pics trying to show the difference
Jun 29, 2020, 04:46 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Filament selection

The filament used is probably not critical.

I used two different filament types. The black parts is printed in a premium PLA type which is very easy to print and allows easy tooling (threading) and optional annealing. The yellow part is printed in a semflexible filament from Ninjatek (cheetah). This filament may require a direct drive extruder (not sure) but it is a very nice material which is virtually indestructible and perfect for self-tapping screws.

If using a "hard" filament threading of the screw holes of the bottom parts is recommended.

The parts is generally very small so tuning for optimum setting is likely. I printed slow with the fan on after the first layer. Printing several parts of the same height also helps to allow adequate cooling between layers.
Jun 29, 2020, 05:13 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Bottom part - Preparation for screws

Screws are required to hold the assembly together and allow for adjustable traction.

This also means that the bottom part will need some tooling depenpending on which filaments / screws are used.

If using a semiflexible TPU type of filament self-tapping screws with a diameter ~ 2 mm is recommended (M2 screws will probably also work). The will probably need to be drilled out with a sutable drill bit.

Self-tapping screws will work for hard filaments also but threading the holes will make the joints more robust and also allows for an easier adjustment.
I used an 1 .6 mm drill bit and M2 screw tap.

The lengths of the screws should be between 10 to 12 mm.

See attached pictures ...
Jun 29, 2020, 06:13 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Slider arm/lever

A key object when designing this slider "upgrade" was to make sure that the slider was not unintentionally moved. That is why the top part has a protective flange. In practice different users may think differently e.g. they may rather have a large enough knob than a small protected one.

EDIT:Forgot to ask what you think. Do you prefer larger "knobs" (at the expense of "protected operation") ?

As indicated in a previous post two different bottom parts exist (A & B). The current set of provided slider arm/levers may fit both types or just Type B.

The STL-file name indicate this by using the follwing notation :

[Nr] [ slider shape] [length of arm] [height of knob] [bottom part compatibility] [revision]

Please note the following special cases (sorry did not think this though when naming the files )

1) Height of the knob is omitted if it is the same as the arm/lever
2) Item 1 also means that the arm may be used for both Type A or Type B bottom part => bottom part compatibility omitted
3) Sliders marked Type A are intended for Type A bottom part but may be used for Type B bottom parts also
4) Sliders marked Type B may only be used for Type B bottom parts

Note 1: Any slider arms with "a height" will need mirroring when printing a pair (mirroring recommended anyway to be able to select the nicest side)

Note 2: I have a few more slider versions available and yet another ideas for good "shapes (not releases due to not tested)
Note 3: Let me know if you need a custom shape/lenghts/height
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jul 03, 2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added info and picture of sliders under evaluation
Jun 29, 2020, 06:33 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Assembly

Well, as always before the parts are assembled they may need to be trimmed. This is especially true for the holes in the slider arms for the potentiometers.

To get rid of any start friction I prepared the applicable surfaces with PTFE grease.

Attached is a few picture which hopefully explains the assembly details. If not let me know .

Note 1: The hole in the slider are oversized (to allow some over extrusion)
Note 2: In spite of being oversized I still need to trim my prints (using an exacto knife)
Note 3: Let me know if the required trimming is reasonable.
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jun 30, 2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Bad swinglish, clearer notes
Jun 29, 2020, 06:44 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Optional - Pressure bar

If using a flexible filament for the top part the "flex" may (at least in theory) impair the "disc brake" operation. To mitigate this I designed an optional "pressure bar" to distribute the pressure more evenly.

In practice it does not seem to be a problem i.e. this part may be omitted. If you still think this is a good idea you can go ahead and mount this but it will require low profile or countersunk screws (otherwise the height of the assembly will prevent the mounting of the TX cover).

Attached is a picture of such an assembly.
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jun 29, 2020 at 06:55 AM.
Jun 30, 2020, 02:59 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Increased Visibility

I guess some of you may wonder what I mean by this .

It's quite simple really. In some cases you do not need to see the slider i.e. you may correct the desired position by observing the effect (closed loop control). In other cases this may not be possible i.e. you will need to set the slider in an abolute position .

In the latter case and to easily see that the slider are in the desired position it helps if the protective flange (top part) is printed with a filament having a different colour than the slider arm/lever/knob - providing increased visibility
Jul 03, 2020, 11:30 AM
Citius, Altius, 3D
Thread OP

Example of complete set of parts

Per request

Attached is a picture showing the minimum (typical) set of required parts per slider assembly :

- Bottom part (Type A in this example)
- Slider arm
- Top part
- Screws (allen key M2 10 mm)

Note: Ooops slider arm shown (not yet released)
Last edited by 3dxspin; Jul 03, 2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added note

Quick Reply