Jul 01, 2020, 09:22 AM
I re-trimmed the Plover with the heavier nose, and got the good glide back.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2020, 10:57 AM
I'll try a low power catapult launch, and see. Plan B may be in adding a smaller wing up front.

Kevin
Jul 01, 2020, 12:32 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
It really doesn't need a canard surface. You've got more than enough sweep to put the rear part far enough away from the main area.

But that does not mean that the interplay between the balance point and amount of reflex used with up trim in the elevators won't be sensitive. Small changes will likely have a big effect when you start playing with the catapult launching.
Jul 01, 2020, 02:47 PM
What do you mean by the term "reflex"?

Kevin
Jul 01, 2020, 06:15 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
I mentioned it in an earlier post that all of our models have some reflex in the horizontal surfaces. On conventional planes it is the slight negative angle of the stabilizer with respect to the wing. On flying wings it can come from washout or washin or from some reflex in the camber line of the airfoil. Or on flying wings with symmetrical airfoils simply a tad of up trim on the elevons.

In your Plover's case it would be from a little up trim in your center rear elevator tabs.
Jul 01, 2020, 07:01 PM
Great. I will remember that when I take it out for a trial flight. As is at this point I'm very pleased with the Plover.

Kevin
Jul 01, 2020, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
In your Plover's case it would be from a little up trim in your center rear elevator tabs.
This scetch would explain the "reflex" mystery, albeit in a simplified way. Sometimes also called "decalage"....
Pink = the "reflex" area.....in all cases positioned well aft of the centre of pressure....
The principle is the same on all three examples.

Last edited by Gluehand; Jul 01, 2020 at 10:49 PM.
Jul 01, 2020, 11:00 PM
Reflex refers to elevators for a flying wing while decalage refers to the incidence of an airplane stabilizer compared to it's wing?

Kevin
Jul 01, 2020, 11:04 PM
Yeah, but both basically do the same thing......

Jul 02, 2020, 07:42 AM
The illustration explains the physics well.

Kevin
Jul 02, 2020, 11:57 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
That's a really nice diagram that explains it all neat as pin Gluehand! I've saved it to use for other similar occasions.
Jul 02, 2020, 03:51 PM

Zaic 37 yearbook Grant Logan pusher glider

Here's my entry, a 1937 pusher glider. It has a 15" wingspan. Flies great! Downloaded the plan from Outerzone
Last edited by RandyW; Jul 02, 2020 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added plan location
Jul 02, 2020, 03:55 PM
Looks cool. Is there a plan available?

Kevin
Jul 02, 2020, 04:16 PM
Great diagram Gluehand. Would it be possible to expand it to include canards and the swept-forward tailless types that wash in the outer portion of the wing?
Jul 02, 2020, 05:05 PM
Great discussion, so much can be learned from such a simple project. At some point I will try a Plover, it's been interesting to follow Kevin's build and trials. My next one though will be the that pusher by Grant Logan, Randy, you beat me to it. My first is the Outdoor Glider by Joe Hervat from 1944. (Oz2019)

Quick Reply