Jun 27, 2020, 09:20 PM
"Spark Chaser"
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for a good high-wing pusher design for FPV

I'm too lazy to read every thread to find the 'best' design. Hoping someone that has built a high-wing pusher motor conventional tail (or v tail).

Ideally something which can be built from foam core or fan-fold foam (I have both). I've got a power plant from a 36" EPO wing which was far to heavy / fast for relaxed FPV flying.

I'll be doing an INAV build with a F4 FC and using 'standard' size camera, so I'd prefer something with a generous wing area.

Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2020, 09:38 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
My favorite high wing pusher design on RC Groups is the EzFly , can be scaled to any size you want . Here is the PDF file for the plans :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1334660760

Here is a video of my 60" wingspan EzFly :

( slightly ) better video of 60" wingspan EzFly (2 min 32 sec)

Another good one is the FliteTest Explorer :
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-explorer-build
Jun 27, 2020, 10:32 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The Hobby King Bixler was pretty popular for a while at my club. Now everyone does quads, but I know a couple of guys who still have theirs and they used to fly the you-know-what out of them all the time. Including some fairly long distance flights.
Jun 27, 2020, 11:44 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
The Hobby King Bixler was pretty popular for a while at my club. Now everyone does quads, but I know a couple of guys who still have theirs and they used to fly the you-know-what out of them all the time. Including some fairly long distance flights.
The Bixler is a great design! Originally a Multiplex EasyStar design, somehow Hobbyking ended up with a suspiciously similar-almost-identical rendition and named it the ubiquitous Bixler lol
I proverbially cut my fpv teeth on Bixlers 11 years or so ago.
Medium range cruiser or paddock basher (especially fun with mates!), learner or just a go-to fun plane for the experienced.
I always keep one or two Bix's handy, just for fun, even though I mostly fly scale fpv (feel free to peek through my channel).
Being handlaunch you can fly from almost anywhere.

Here's a Bix bashing vid from just yesterday...

Bixler thrashin' at Judy's 27 July 2020 (6 min 46 sec)

Bixler flight from a few years ago, following a mate's 1800mm Skywalker to a mountain ridge.
We won't talk about having too much fun playing under the low cloud and forgetting to look at the remaining voltage...

Caution Thrown to Wind & Clouds, and Death to Lipo's. (18 min 28 sec)
Jun 28, 2020, 02:38 AM
Well, there are literally dozens of "right" answers to your question, so a little more detail about the airplane mission would help narrow it down.
If your only criteria is a plane with lots of wing area that will be a slow, relaxing flier, then you could end up with a plane that does just that but is extremely draggy and eats through your battery in no time - and that might be just fine for you.
But, if you're looking to eek out as much endurance and/or range as possible, and have slow/relaxing characteristics then you're looking at a significantly more challenging task that will likely require fairly advanced build skills.
For some, to meet that goal it would simply be more straightforward to buy one of the many "purpose-built" designs available off-the-shelf - unless you're set on building it yourself for the "personal satisfaction" factor, of course.

So which of the above is it?
Last edited by nuteman; Jun 28, 2020 at 02:49 AM.
Jun 28, 2020, 08:38 AM
"Spark Chaser"
Thread OP
Good questions. I already own several FPV fixed wings. Dart 250g, Nano Goblin, Skyhunter Mini. All setup with INAV, FPV, F4 FC's. I also have a selection of 3", 5" and one 7" FPV quads.

I'm looking for something I can scratch build to re-use the gear from a Sonicmodell F1 Wing, which I found to be too heavy/fast for my tastes.

The Flite Test Explorer seems to be a decent choice. Obviously not going to be as slippery a design as a molded foam ARF / Kit.

Anything else out there of similar specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Well, there are literally dozens of "right" answers to your question, so a little more detail about the airplane mission would help narrow it down.
If your only criteria is a plane with lots of wing area that will be a slow, relaxing flier, then you could end up with a plane that does just that but is extremely draggy and eats through your battery in no time - and that might be just fine for you.
But, if you're looking to eek out as much endurance and/or range as possible, and have slow/relaxing characteristics then you're looking at a significantly more challenging task that will likely require fairly advanced build skills.
For some, to meet that goal it would simply be more straightforward to buy one of the many "purpose-built" designs available off-the-shelf - unless you're set on building it yourself for the "personal satisfaction" factor, of course.

So which of the above is it?
Last edited by jokeane; Jun 28, 2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Jun 28, 2020, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokeane
Good questions. I already own several FPV fixed wings. Dart 250g, Nano Goblin, Skyhunter Mini. All setup with INAV, FPV, F4 FC's. I also have a selection of 3", 5" and one 7" FPV quads.

I'm looking for something I can scratch build to re-use the gear from a Sonicmodell F1 Wing, which I found to be too heavy/fast for my tastes.

The Flite Test Explorer seems to be a decent choice. Obviously not going to be as slippery a design as a molded foam ARF / Kit.

Anything else out there of similar specs?
OK, well based on that, I would recommend something like this: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/6...om-fpv-cruiser

Edit: I would skip the moveable rudders altogether. Unnecessary extra weight and not needed for what you want to accomplish.

If you take care to improve on that design by building lighter and less draggy than what they did, you'll have a pretty decent FPV platform of the type you're looking for.
The Sonicmodell F1 Wing is too small and too heavy and is a "racing" wing, so it's no surprise you were unsatisfied with it.
To reiterate: Your build skills (low weight and low drag) will be a major factor in the degree of success you achieve...
Last edited by nuteman; Jun 28, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
Jun 28, 2020, 07:39 PM
"Spark Chaser"
Thread OP
Thanks for the pointers. I've got depron, laminating film (two different weights) and some CF rods, so this looks do-able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
OK, well based on that, I would recommend something like this: https://www.flitetest.com/articles/6...om-fpv-cruiser

Edit: I would skip the moveable rudders altogether. Unnecessary extra weight and not needed for what you want to accomplish.

If you take care to improve on that design by building lighter and less draggy than what they did, you'll have a pretty decent FPV platform of the type you're looking for.
The Sonicmodell F1 Wing is too small and too heavy and is a "racing" wing, so it's no surprise you were unsatisfied with it.
To reiterate: Your build skills (low weight and low drag) will be a major factor in the degree of success you achieve...
Jun 30, 2020, 10:22 AM
the FT Explorer IS the Bixler, re-created out of dollar tree foam. Same guy designed both

Use wood glue. Add a wood spar to the wing (big paint stick) and fly the snot out of it. I've had a couple - with some smart thinking during the build they can be pretty darn rugged, and a ton of payload room.

Quick Reply