NAN Models Explorer Q Coming Soon to Soaring USA

If you are an Explorer pilot or aspiring to become one, you'll be pumped about the latest design coming from NAN Models.

Splash

New F5J Explorers On the Way!!

If you are an Explorer pilot or aspiring to become one, you'll be pumped about the latest design coming from NAN Models. The Explorer Q is on the way and it's sure to be a great flying bird that's optimized for 5J competition style flying. Details are scarce at the moment, but from the intro video posted below, we can see there will be two versions, a V-tail and cross tail.

The Explorer Q will pack down to a very small size for storage and transport due to its 4-piece wing and 3-piece fuselage. There's a unique ballast system, a new aileron design and a redesign airfoil at the wingtips. It should be a fantastic performing model. If you'd like to be one of the first to get your hands on one, you can contact Soaring USA for more details.

Visit Soaring USA Here

EXPLORER Q (2 min 50 sec)

Jun 27, 2020, 08:22 PM
Team Futaba
So, what is the range of wing loadings for the 4.0 M Q? Especially the V-tail, I like V-tails!!
Jun 27, 2020, 11:28 PM
Hi Silent AV8R the wing loadings are same as Explorer BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
So, what is the range of wing loadings for the 4.0 M Q? Especially the V-tail, I like V-tails!!
Jun 28, 2020, 09:33 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Sounds like the main panel airfoil is the same but at the tips it's different. Will be interesting to hear performance comparisons.
Jun 28, 2020, 11:56 AM
Definitely is better! as all new Version from NAN Models, over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Sounds like the main panel airfoil is the same but at the tips it's different. Will be interesting to hear performance comparisons.
Jun 28, 2020, 04:17 PM
Are not trilerons a dead thing from the nineties?
Jun 28, 2020, 10:14 PM
rrg
rrg
I sure hope not^^^
Jun 29, 2020, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMartin
Yo have to sell the same molds somehow. Fourth time...
Jun 29, 2020, 11:36 AM

not a 90's thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMartin
See this discussion:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-why-trilerons

Don't see in this 2014 discussion that given the ears of an Explorer it is a bad idea.
And NAN is claiming that the profiles for the tips were redesigned. However the ears remained, no room for old molds in that case.

Jan
Last edited by dutchsoarer; Jun 29, 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Jun 30, 2020, 05:09 AM
Thatīs what happens when one stirs the pot .....now trilerons is a patch for bad planform....
Donīt get me wrong ,the plane is really nice .The differences is not going to come from trilerons or not ,swept tips or winglets but I think is now of general consensus that those "refinements does nothing for performance and most of the time they hurt it.
In "my" book , swept is made for fighting wave drag , stability in flying wings and forward swept for visibility and cg issues.
At this speed it causes cross flow and at all sizes comes with a weight penalty because of the leverage....
As said, nothing extreme in these glider so no more than friendly geeky discussion
Jun 30, 2020, 06:00 AM
First, making a seperate nose cone ... pilots, especailly pilots who haven't flying NAN products they said :
Ahhh this is, disaser, it is unacceptable to keep the nose cone with tape, fuselage is not strong enough ... bla bla bla...
Later... most manufacters making the same...
Big Flaps, aahhh same airfoil with BF, Profili looks like dissaster, .... bla, bla, bla..
European championship 1st and 2nd place ..
World championship, 1st and 2nd place...
Most wins at Eurotour competition...
Most wins at World cup competitions....
Later ... most manufacters making BF their glider..
One more time.... Deja vu..

If somenone beleive that NAN change all their molds to making Explorer Q without many testing.. he beleives wrong.. First prototype flying late October, first plane from new molds beggining of February and after all this time and many checks from pilots, NAN present the Explorer Q.
Me and my sons, we feel thankful to NAN who gave us the chance to have the model from the very beginning..
Jun 30, 2020, 06:53 AM
Agree on all of that .....but being one of the biggest manufacturers is normal that they drive the world .....being right or not.
Any commment regarding the trilerons as probably you have direct experience in this exact model with and without them??
Unswept wing will be a little more complicated....
Jun 30, 2020, 07:04 AM
Nothing wrong with evolution of the great glider, all changes are cool and requested, welcome.
But claiming new airfoils mean more than new cut line in the surface, it is just not true.
BF is working with old airfoil, that is great and you did a lot of testing, many pilots happy with that.
New wing ends ailerons cut maybe will be an improvements as well
But do notfool people with new molds , new airfoils information.
Jun 30, 2020, 11:12 AM
If you chech carefully the video of our company we are not talking only about "trilerons" we have sign that the airfoil at the end of wing tip have redesign from NAN. (around 20cm )
These (new airfoin and trilerons), make the model more stable especially on turns reducing the possibility of tip stall
Jul 09, 2020, 07:26 AM
Hi Pantelis,

When can we expect this in Europe? I checked the website, but cannot find any mention of it.

Quick Reply