Jun 27, 2020, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Beginner

What is a good airplane for a beginner (from sport pilot) into 3D?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2020, 04:46 PM
Certified Wingnut
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot001
What is a good airplane for a beginner (from sport pilot) into 3D?
Twisted Hobbies Veloxity
Jun 27, 2020, 04:58 PM
Old's Cool
If you are new to 3D and you push yourself to learn it, you will crash a lot. You want a flat foam plane in the 32" range. These planes hold up well and are easily repaired. Specifically, any of the regular weight 32" monoplanes from Twisted Hobbys will serve you well. The larger flat foam planes are great fun, but they do not hold up as well to crashes.
Jun 27, 2020, 05:13 PM
Certified Wingnut
I find the smaller flat foamies get pushed around by the breeze too much. In the lightest wind, you spend all your energy fighting the breeze intead of learning 3D. (Just my $.02)
Jun 27, 2020, 05:44 PM
what size you looking at, what equipment you have ?or buying all new?
Jun 27, 2020, 06:19 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Unless you're looking at cheapest possible way, suggest a Twisted Hobby's 32" Standard Crack Yak. It's about the most crashworthy 3D they have but still very capable.

Install triple rates...maybe 50, 75,100 and start with lowest until you know what to expect. Maiden it in calm conditions so you can get it trimmed. Flying it in wind will be prettymuch useless for learning 3D as you'll spend all your energy just keeping up with the wind. Better to go back to your sport plane in windy conditions.

Get the recommended components from TH unless you're experienced enough to substitute other brands and retain exactly the weight and performance they recommend. Don't go off on your own thinking bigger motor, faster etc. These are well developed planes and changes will likely just take it downhill.

https://twistedhobbys.com/aircraft/a...andard-series/
Last edited by hard line; Jun 27, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Jun 27, 2020, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Thank you. I have several Eflite airplanes, and others. Mostly high wing and slow flyers. I owned the old Green Eflite Sukhoi but it was too much for me.
Jun 27, 2020, 08:50 PM
that was a pretty good all around plane, if it was too much for you, then concentrate on proper set up and multiple rates. Almost any performance machine can be tamed to near trainer like and a flick of a switch can up the performance alot. SET UP is the most important step, anyone can assemble and make a plane flight worthy, but few have the real skills to fine tune an aircraft to their needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot001
Thank you. I have several Eflite airplanes, and others. Mostly high wing and slow flyers. I owned the old Green Eflite Sukhoi but it was too much for me.
Jun 27, 2020, 09:41 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So a nice thing about the light EPP 32s is they seemingly just hang in the air. You have a lot more time to make corrections before bouncing it off the ground. And if you do bounce it, it's likely to need little more than a new prop to put it back up.

Skill will take time, but confidence you're not about to demolish your plane will come quickly.

Quick Reply