Thread Tools
Jun 27, 2020, 12:49 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

30cc size Electric choices


Hey guys
Been away for over a year or more it seems, got caught up in the drone FPV stuff...
But my passion is aerobatic 3D planes and its pushing for attention.

I have recently moved away from the city and purchased a large acreage, with a pasture/flying field with a usable runway area, that needs just some TLC.
This is a remote and super quiet area, neighbors spread out far apart and its tranquil and peaceful. I am afraid that using the 50cc and 35cc gas planes I have already are going to cause some negative attention as its a river valley that carries sound very far.

So my real question is that I am looking for some pointers for a durable high performance quality airframe in the 72-78 inch size, extras, edges slicks, lasers etc. must have strong landing gear and area as the runway is not as smooth as flying fields, but its quite good. Seems there is less selection now than 2-3 years ago but maybe not seeing all the options. I am an advanced pilot so looking for a proper air frame, my attention was sparked this morning by Extreme Flight 74 inch slick and similar.

Electric will be the choice to keep noise down, have 6S charger that can charge 2 or more Lipos. I want top performance, so it seems guys are going 12S?
Have electric experience, just in the smaller airframes though, I fly the EF laser 48 EXP a bit , but its kinda small and toyish. looking for something with bit more presence and smoothness. Probably buying everything new, servos, power plant, anything needed to fully built a fresh one.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any pointers
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2020, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Looks like stock is very limited or non existent.
Picking an air frame is likely not the my biggest issue, but the right electric set up is a bit more challenging it seems.
Jun 27, 2020, 01:45 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
Don't know what Stock is like for you but I have had the 3DHS/EF 75" Edge, have a 2nd 74" Slick and now have the new 85" Edge.

In the 7x size I prefer the Slick, so much I bought a replacement for my dead 1st one, but the Edge was great and most who have one seem to think the similar sized Laser is also Awesome.

Motor wise the Xpwr 30 is good, I have a Dualsky 6360EA (220kv) motor in the Slick and it is a rocket. I use 3700 size cells and get an easy 7 1/2 minutes throttle on time. Mine is a bit heavier with that motor and 3700's but it suits me. I also fly from a "patch" in my own field but after mowing for a few years it's pretty good. No issue with the U/cart on the slick but I never fly with pants ( Never gets old that joke....)

I'm sure that any of the 7x EF/3DHS planes would be just as good, just get the one you like best, go with the stock setup, or the Dualsky and fly the out of it.
Jun 27, 2020, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Thanks Chris, yes stock seems an issue on the American EF site and am in Canada and there is no Vendors at the moment. They were brought in for some time, but not sure what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
Don't know what Stock is like for you but I have had the 3DHS/EF 75" Edge, have a 2nd 74" Slick and now have the new 85" Edge.

In the 7x size I prefer the Slick, so much I bought a replacement for my dead 1st one, but the Edge was great and most who have one seem to think the similar sized Laser is also Awesome.

Motor wise the Xpwr 30 is good, I have a Dualsky 6360EA (220kv) motor in the Slick and it is a rocket. I use 3700 size cells and get an easy 7 1/2 minutes throttle on time. Mine is a bit heavier with that motor and 3700's but it suits me. I also fly from a "patch" in my own field but after mowing for a few years it's pretty good. No issue with the U/cart on the slick but I never fly with pants ( Never gets old that joke....)

I'm sure that any of the 7x EF/3DHS planes would be just as good, just get the one you like best, go with the stock setup, or the Dualsky and fly the out of it.
Jun 27, 2020, 02:12 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
If I remember correctly if you speak to them at EF I think they were working around the shipping issue to Canada. It sure sucks though when you can't get what you want.

Got to be worth a phone call.
Jun 27, 2020, 02:55 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
this will be a winter spring built, so time is not that critical, I'll fly what I have on a limited basis for this season. Hope the stock and shipping issues will improve by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
If I remember correctly if you speak to them at EF I think they were working around the shipping issue to Canada. It sure sucks though when you can't get what you want.

Got to be worth a phone call.
Jun 27, 2020, 06:42 PM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Motor wise the Xpwr 30 is good, I have a Dualsky 6360EA (220kv) motor in the Slick and it is a rocket. I use 3700 size cells and get an easy 7 1/2 minutes throttle on time. Mine is a bit heavier with that motor and 3700's but it suits me.

Chris i search for that motor you wrote about,
And i forund thin in a local hobby shop.
This the correct one?
https://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=42333
Jun 27, 2020, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Easter Day New Bling (9 min 15 sec)


this one is with a 190kv and 21x10.
Is this your chanel?
Last edited by Mrloseth; Jun 28, 2020 at 05:14 AM.
Jun 28, 2020, 02:25 AM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrloseth
Motor wise the Xpwr 30 is good, I have a Dualsky 6360EA (220kv) motor in the Slick and it is a rocket. I use 3700 size cells and get an easy 7 1/2 minutes throttle on time. Mine is a bit heavier with that motor and 3700's but it suits me.

Chris i search for that motor you wrote about,
And i forund thin in a local hobby shop.
This the correct one?
https://www.elefun.no/p/prod.aspx?v=42333
That's the correct one. That particular link was to the 220kv 6360.19 version which works perfectly on the 20 x 8 from the xpwr 30. The 21 x 10 I use on the 6360.22 with 190kv. Both are great, just make sure you get the one to suit your prop.
Jun 28, 2020, 05:13 AM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
That's the correct one. That particular link was to the 220kv 6360.19 version which works perfectly on the 20 x 8 from the xpwr 30. The 21 x 10 I use on the 6360.22 with 190kv. Both are great, just make sure you get the one to suit your prop.
Have you tried booth?
Looks like the dualsky use the same bolt pattern also, 71-75mm x mount. So then i dont have to change position on the firewall.
190kv vs 220kv ?

I see that the dualsky is 99g heavier also.
Jun 28, 2020, 07:41 AM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrloseth
Have you tried booth?
Looks like the dualsky use the same bolt pattern also, 71-75mm x mount. So then i dont have to change position on the firewall.
190kv vs 220kv ?

I see that the dualsky is 99g heavier also.
The first motor I had in the Slick was actually an earlier v1 of the 6360ea motor. Loads of power but it was fragile and would throw a magnet every 4th or 5th flight. I was pretty adept at fixing it so I had it for quite a while. I also tried a Dualsky G3000 (180kv) but frankly that was a disappointment. The motor would turn a big enough prop without losing connection with the ESC to be powerful enough. I had the Xpwr 30 in a 76 Edge and that was a nice motor but it was sold with the Edge. The Xpwr was a little bit less power than the Dualsky 6360s but good.

I have used both the 220 and the 190kv 6360 on this model. Similar power from both, 21 x 10 on the 190kv and a 20 x 8 on the 220kv. The 190kv version seemed more relaxed with the lower rpm but certainly didn't lack performance. I prefer the prop noise of the 220kv version, and for me the handling seemed slightly nicer on the 20 x 8 prop rather than the 21 x10. That is purely personal preference as the 74 Slick is a sweet handling plane all round.

Compared to the Xpwr 30 I think you need a slightly shorter standoff, so you don't need to use all the spacers of the EF Blazing Star set that you do with the Xpwr. Don't worry about the 99g extra weight. It was never an issue for me and my original Slick weighed about a pound heavier than Stock due to repair work from a number of big accidents and using 3700 cells instead of 3300 cells.

And I didn't answer your question, yes that is my channel. Not so much a channel as just where I store videos I have posted onto the forums . There are a few Slick videos and the other planes I have had in recent years as I have learned 3D flying.
Jun 28, 2020, 03:48 PM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
The first motor I had in the Slick was actually an earlier v1 of the 6360ea motor. Loads of power but it was fragile and would throw a magnet every 4th or 5th flight. I was pretty adept at fixing it so I had it for quite a while. I also tried a Dualsky G3000 (180kv) but frankly that was a disappointment. The motor would turn a big enough prop without losing connection with the ESC to be powerful enough. I had the Xpwr 30 in a 76 Edge and that was a nice motor but it was sold with the Edge. The Xpwr was a little bit less power than the Dualsky 6360s but good.

I have used both the 220 and the 190kv 6360 on this model. Similar power from both, 21 x 10 on the 190kv and a 20 x 8 on the 220kv. The 190kv version seemed more relaxed with the lower rpm but certainly didn't lack performance. I prefer the prop noise of the 220kv version, and for me the handling seemed slightly nicer on the 20 x 8 prop rather than the 21 x10. That is purely personal preference as the 74 Slick is a sweet handling plane all round.

Compared to the Xpwr 30 I think you need a slightly shorter standoff, so you don't need to use all the spacers of the EF Blazing Star set that you do with the Xpwr. Don't worry about the 99g extra weight. It was never an issue for me and my original Slick weighed about a pound heavier than Stock due to repair work from a number of big accidents and using 3700 cells instead of 3300 cells.

And I didn't answer your question, yes that is my channel. Not so much a channel as just where I store videos I have posted onto the forums . There are a few Slick videos and the other planes I have had in recent years as I have learned 3D flying.
Wow thank you for the answer.
I guess that since the local shop only have 220kv i better give that a try since you think that is a better option than the xpwr. If i get the xpwr motor back from warranty i think i sell it and use the dualsky instead.
Jun 28, 2020, 04:33 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrloseth
Wow thank you for the answer.
I guess that since the local shop only have 220kv i better give that a try since you think that is a better option than the xpwr. If i get the xpwr motor back from warranty i think i sell it and use the dualsky instead.
I wouldn't say the Dualsky is better than the Xpwr, just different. I went that way as I wanted to try something else. The early motor was really not up to it but these be motors seem very good. If it were me when the Xpwr comes back I would keep it and start gathering bits for another plane, but that's just me.
Jun 28, 2020, 04:56 PM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SW
I wouldn't say the Dualsky is better than the Xpwr, just different. I went that way as I wanted to try something else. The early motor was really not up to it but these be motors seem very good. If it were me when the Xpwr comes back I would keep it and start gathering bits for another plane, but that's just me.
Is the dualsky build the same that itís two small umbrako that holds the bell to the axle? And a propp adapter on the bell?
Looks like you have longer flight time with the 21x10 combo.?
Jun 29, 2020, 09:04 AM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Chris SW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrloseth
Is the dualsky build the same that it’s two small umbrako that holds the bell to the axle? And a propp adapter on the bell?
Looks like you have longer flight time with the 21x10 combo.?
Yes the construction is similar. The bell attaches to the shaft with an allen pin but that is all sealed together. I have never managed to separate a bell from the shaft. The prop adaptor, just like the Xpwr attaches to the bell, the internals slide onto the shaft, and are held in place at the rear with a circlip backed up with a collet.

All seems bullet proof to me. Did get some debris in the motor once, and the fit of the parts and bearings was excellent as I took it to pieces, cleaned and rebuilt it.

Flight times with either motor and prop combo are the same. My timer counts down when the throttle is above 25% and is set to 7 1/2 minutes with the 3700 cells. Never landed with less than 3.75v per cell. Depending on the style of the flight I regularly get real flight times of 8 1/2 minutes. As you can see I don't fly much high energy stuff, preferring the low and slow style.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ESM 72" Mustang engine choice is 30cc too big Crashtruk Fuel Warbirds 6 Feb 13, 2018 03:34 PM
Discussion 94 MXS EXP Electric Motor Choice Graph1te Giant Electric Planes 7 Apr 17, 2016 06:41 AM
Discussion Peak Models 30cc Yak 54 Wing Tube size? KenSue Fuel Plane Talk 5 Mar 19, 2016 09:44 AM
Discussion What size Miracle arms in 30cc 3D plane? sawitup 3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes 2 Feb 17, 2016 09:23 AM
Question Good choice for second electric sailplane??? porsche.911 Electric Sailplanes 18 Feb 10, 2016 03:32 PM