Jun 26, 2020, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Do tiny LCD voltage displays even exist?

I was wanting to stick a tiny little LCD display on my goggles so I could at a glance see what my goggle voltage is at the end of a flight. Just a tiny little guy like Traxxas on-board temp sensor only voltage instead of temp.

It seems that voltage displays are either 3 plus inches wide which is too large to mount on goggles or those crappy little LEDs that flicker in and out all the time and are impossible to read in the sun.

I'm using a 2s (18650) setup that doesn't have a balance lead so I can't use a lipo checker.
Last edited by kuiperJ; Jun 26, 2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: specify 2s
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2020, 02:49 PM
fly by night
well .. just get the DJI goggles lol. They show the goggles' voltage on screen. Or get a FuriousFPV smart battery case, which gives you customizable warnings of your goggles battery getting low.
Jun 26, 2020, 05:13 PM
The one like you have in the first pic is probably about as small and simple as it will get. Never noticed much flickering issues when viewing them and if it's super bright quickly shading with your hand should be sufficient. I've never used one mounted to the goggles but have a couple of them with various connectors attached for checking voltages.
Jun 27, 2020, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Thanks fellas. I ended up with the Furious FPV case.

Wow DJI goggles are only $530! Don't tempt me BC.
Jun 27, 2020, 01:45 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
Thanks fellas. I ended up with the Furious FPV case.

Wow DJI goggles are only $530! Don't tempt me BC.
the DJi goggles were just on sale for $420 everywhere. guess that sale ended
Jun 28, 2020, 12:38 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
is this any smaller if you take off the connectors? (or maybe its same size display as posted already?)

34x10x10mm
https://www.banggood.com/PH2_0-PH1_2...r_warehouse=CN
Jun 28, 2020, 02:01 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
the DJi goggles were just on sale for $420 everywhere. guess that sale ended
For future reference, I bought one of these LCD voltage displays from Desert Aircraft many years ago, they haven't stocked them since which is a real pity. Good for 25 volts readout.
40mm long, 18mm high
The critter with the silver bezel.
Jun 28, 2020, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
For future reference, I bought one of these LCD voltage displays from Desert Aircraft many years ago, they haven't stocked them since which is a real pity. Good for 25 volts readout.
40mm long, 18mm high
The critter with the silver bezel.
That helps actually. Using an image search tool I found a similar voltmeter. $30 from Radical RC.
1 38"W , 7/8"H x 1/2"D
https://www.radicalrc.com/item/Digit...ltmeter-100897

I also considered the "Battery Tender" with LCD voltage display.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A...ding=UTF8&th=1
Last edited by kuiperJ; Jun 28, 2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: mention Battery Tender
Jun 30, 2020, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeTrash
Kinda proves my point about LED's being a pain to read. The readout in your picture says "9.16", can you see it? and that's in a studio environment.
Jul 05, 2020, 12:40 AM
I found a tiny round analogue battery meter in an old walkie talkie that I re scaled with a suitable resistor and stuck in my ancient box goggles many years ago. The scale was green to red and only about 1cm across, but through the magnifier looked about 30mm wide and was very easy to read even without being lit.
Ive seen them pop up on fleabay from time to time, as they were used in a lot of gear back in the analogue days, also there were several varieties of rectanular ones about 15mmx10mm with linear scale, I sometimes see them in gear at the local recycling shop, tempting to buy a whole piece of gear just for that tiny but useful analogue meter.. lol

Quick Reply