Thread Tools
Jun 26, 2020, 08:22 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Question

Micro ships


Hello:
I've seen these ads for the "micro-xxxxxxx" kits.

Many years ago, I had access to a high ceiling gym. We flew lots of rubber powered ships at night. Jerry Zeigenfuse (Reading PA) made a rubber band powered flapper. We also built several <20 inch WS gliders wood/stick, ribs covered in silkspan/plastic kitchen wrap. When the circulation fans came on -- ships were blown everywhere.........

How are they launched. Fly only at dawn and dusk?

I am missing something?

TIA
Jim
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2020, 09:21 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
rdwoebke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
I am missing something?
People have flown small RC models for years, Jim. Small models can be more effected by wind/turbulence but that doesn't mean they are only flyable at dawn and dusk. I fly an Apogee 30, a Whipit, etc.


Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 26, 2020, 10:51 AM
Registered User
tkallev's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
I am missing something?
I think this is in reaction to the potential 400' altitude restriction ...
Jun 26, 2020, 12:10 PM
Going in circles.
GliderJim's Avatar
Here's a Micro Wanderer at the slope...
Micro Wanderer Sloping at Dave's Beach (0 min 55 sec)


This video shows it flying flatland. Judging by the shadows as the end of the video, it's neither morning nor evening...
Micro Wanderer by Alien Technologies (0 min 44 sec)
Jun 26, 2020, 02:29 PM
B for Bruce
BMatthews's Avatar
My own first thought on reading about micro soaring models was "Huh?..... ". Didn't seem to make sense at all.

But then I thought about how far away I can still effectively see my free flight rubber models that are around 36" span. Suddenly the idea of smaller site soaring where one needs to simply observe the effective visual range and come back at the right time from riding a thermal downwind makes sense.

As for being kicked around by the wind a lot of that is site dependent. My present flying club has a piece of local farm which is bordered by trees and farm buildings on almost ever side.

I've flown in higher winds and actually found it to be fun at my previous club where the area was wide open and tree line free for hundreds of yards in any direction. In such conditions the wind is far more steady and is fairly easy to deal with.

But it only takes a couple of mph at this new club's field for conditions to start acting like I'm flying inside of a martini shaker! ! ! So the lay of the land around any flying area plays a big part in how it is to fly in the wind at any given site.

A light duty high start made from some flat rubber flying rubber can be used to make a nice power option for these lighter micro soarers. Pick up a 100' pack of 3/16 rubber and make a 50' loop from it and use that with around 100 to 150' of thin fishing line. I used 10lb test monofilament for the one I made back before the new Spectra lines became available. Then a 4x6 flag at the end with a paper soldered paper clip or small fishing swivel as a tow ring on the end. This shoots up a 3 to 4 oz micro soarer and up to a 7 to 8 oz mini soarer to the top of the line in fine style. And in fact the 3 to 4oz micros might only need a single strand of rubber.
Jun 26, 2020, 02:59 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
rdwoebke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
My own first thought on reading about micro soaring models was "Huh?..... ". Didn't seem to make sense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev
I think this is in reaction to the potential 400' altitude restriction ...
Maybe I'm a weirdo (OK who am I kidding, I'm definitely a weirdo) but I have been fascinated by small RC sailplanes since I started flying in the mid '90s. The invention of the Spectrum UMX gear has made smaller and smaller gliders pretty easy. I converted this cheap kids chuck glider to RC for a trip to Ireland. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/786159678676548360/


Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 26, 2020, 05:09 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Thank you


Thanks guys!
I found a few hand chucker "kits" from the 70's in my stash. I forgot the names, but they have solid wings with a flat bottom with a triangular shaped airfoil.. One had a hardwood LE section. Shaped spruce fuse with 1/32" tail feathers.

I remember decades ago, of several mags issues, to have articles on RCing these little critters. This was about the same time that e-flyers were using toothbrush motors to power them. Certainly CA glue will make building these little critters much more reasonable. I also have an "mini" electric winch for hand launch. I cannot do the discus launch anymore. Get about 100 ft of altitude. I really appreciate the responses ------- not sure about my old fat fingers................

cheers
Jim
PS: Flew near the Cliffs of Moher??


Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Maybe I'm a weirdo (OK who am I kidding, I'm definitely a weirdo) but I have been fascinated by small RC sailplanes since I started flying in the mid '90s. The invention of the Spectrum UMX gear has made smaller and smaller gliders pretty easy. I converted this cheap kids chuck glider to RC for a trip to Ireland. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/786159678676548360/


Ryan
Jun 27, 2020, 07:38 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
rdwoebke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
PS: Flew near the Cliffs of Moher??
It was a beach slope near some little town on the ring of Kerry. We did visit the cliffs of moher. They were amazing.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 27, 2020, 12:04 PM
B for Bruce
BMatthews's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
Thanks guys!
I found a few hand chucker "kits" from the 70's in my stash. I forgot the names, but they have solid wings with a flat bottom with a triangular shaped airfoil.. One had a hardwood LE section. Shaped spruce fuse with 1/32" tail feathers.Ö..
Those sound like the classic free flight chuck gliders with around 18 to 20 inch wing span. If I'm right about this I would suggest another alternative for micro RC glider conversions. These solid balsa chuckies are already at about their optimum weight before you add even the lightest gear out there. Built in FF form they typically come out at around 1 to 1.25 oz for the better flying versions. And by the time they are even up at 2 oz they are not flying all that well at that size with a fast glide which isn't very soaring friendly. For a nice floating thermal friendly sort of model you want to go up in size at least a little. Or at least start with a lighter airframe construction method. And that's where options like Alientech's reduced size versions of the old classic floaters come in. Or picking something from Outerzone that is built up and would adapt to RC somewhat better. Some options just to set the pace might be....

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10430
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1700
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1572
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11607
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=207

Or you can browse through all 190 plans for designs from 22 to 38 inch span HERE. I would suggest though that some of the all sheet styles with carved wings are again not the best option for adding RC unless you've got a supply of the super light contest wood on hand. Or unless you don't mind altering the designs to covert from the carved sheet wing over to more of a Jedelski style airfoil.
Jun 27, 2020, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Jedelski style airfoil.


Wack:
Thanks for the info:

I could not remember the term "Jedelski". Mine are all that type hand chucker. And larger.

cheers
Jim
PS: We plan on visiting a very good friend in Ireland and I will probably ship a box of planes to him.



adding RC unless you've got a supply of the super light contest wood on hand. Or unless you don't mind altering the designs to covert from the carved sheet wing over to more of a Jedelski style airfoil.[/QUOTE]
Jun 27, 2020, 02:20 PM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
J Bergsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
Hello:
I've seen these ads for the "micro-xxxxxxx" kits.

Many years ago, I had access to a high ceiling gym. We flew lots of rubber powered ships at night. Jerry Zeigenfuse (Reading PA) made a rubber band powered flapper. We also built several <20 inch WS gliders wood/stick, ribs covered in silkspan/plastic kitchen wrap. When the circulation fans came on -- ships were blown everywhere.........

How are they launched. Fly only at dawn and dusk?

I am missing something?

TIA
Jim
I enjoyed flying with Jerry Zeigenfuse. He used to come down and fly at our CASA Open every year. He would attend some of our monthly contest as well. Great flyer, and a super nice guy. Always had his wife by his side.
Jun 27, 2020, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Jerry


I must add that Lois was more. She did ALL the scoring at the early ECSS contests. I think she still did a lot of work for the beginning ESL. She also was in Tx impound and anywhere something was needed to make the contest go smoothly. I do not think she was given the credit due her. At the DBSF annual dinner she was honored, but not enough!!!! I also remember when a big fuss was made about Lois timing for Jerry. VERY UNFAIR!!! She was more honest than some who complained!!!

cheers
Jim


Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
I enjoyed flying with Jerry Zeigenfuse. He used to come down and fly at our CASA Open every year. He would attend some of our monthly contest as well. Great flyer, and a super nice guy. Always had his wife by his side.
Jun 27, 2020, 02:46 PM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
J Bergsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
I must add that Lois was more. She did ALL the scoring at the early ECSS contests. I think she still did a lot of work for the beginning ESL. She also was in Tx impound and anywhere something was needed to make the contest go smoothly. I do not think she was given the credit due her. At the DBSF annual dinner she was honored, but not enough!!!! I also remember when a big fuss was made about Lois timing for Jerry. VERY UNFAIR!!! She was more honest than some who complained!!!

cheers
Jim
She was awesome and a hard worker. Yes, I do remember the big fuss about her timing for Jerry. That was so uncalled for, one of the worst things Iíve seen happen in this sport. I miss both of them, two of the nicest people you would ever meet.
Jun 28, 2020, 05:40 AM
Registered User
I met Jerry and Lois at sailplane contests. Nice people. Jerry had some free flight designs published in the 50's. A dozen can be found on Outerzone.
Jun 28, 2020, 10:43 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
rdwoebke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
These solid balsa chuckies are already at about their optimum weight before you add even the lightest gear out there. Built in FF form they typically come out at around 1 to 1.25 oz for the better flying versions. And by the time they are even up at 2 oz they are not flying all that well at that size with a fast glide which isn't very soaring friendly.
I have some experience with adding weight to free flight balsa type designs and I am not sure I would say that adding weight is not soaring friendly. Also some free flight designs required some nose weight which could be removed for RC gear.


Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review WLtoys No. 24438 1/24 Micro Rock Crawler $43 Shipped fastmax Rock Crawlers 204 Apr 06, 2020 07:36 PM
Discussion Run speed control with pic micro ship jetpr Power Systems 1 Jan 06, 2018 03:02 AM
Link Crazepony FPV Micro AIO Camera 5.8G 48CH 25mW Transmitter $16.98 & FREE Shipping jamodu75 Mini Multirotor Drones 0 Jun 26, 2017 07:42 AM
Discussion Corona Micro Receiver + 4 micro servos $33 shipped scharlach Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 1 Sep 25, 2008 03:25 PM