This thread is privately moderated by BMatthews, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 26, 2020, 01:37 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Discussion

Vintage Gliders Build - Second Half 2020

Welcome to the Theme Build for the second half of 2020.

This time around the them is Vintage Gliders. To be elligible the design must have been published or kitted or at least on someone's sheet of drawing paper as of the end of 1970 to qualify as 50 years old.

Designs can be scaled. And because a lot of us are well past our prime running days electric power and RC are permitted optional additions.

To aid with finding your build threads please include the letters VGB in the build thread title.

Quote:
Standard Rules for Vintage Forum Theme Builds-
-Models must be built from model plans that are dated no newer than the year indicated by the build coordinator in the Topic Thread. If no set date is given assume that the design has to be 50 or more years old.
Plans can be scaled.
-Power sources can be modified. So rubber or glow to electric if desired. Or gliders may be converted to some manner of power source.
-Controls can be added or modified. So free flight designs can be converted to RC. And simple RC models can have controls added. For example a rudder only design given elevator and throttle controls.
-Scaled up model structure should follow the spirit of the original plan. So adding formers, uprights, ribs and such as needed to produce a durable structure is allowed. But the nature of the structure should be maintained. So no conversion of sheeted surfaces to built up surfaces. Or of open and covered structures over to all sheet.
Starting time for the Vintage Glider Build will be one tick after midnight of June 30 and run to midnight Dec 31.

Builder List and links to Build Threads

1- Sky Knight - Jasco Floater 72
2- JeffMac - '46 Korda Towliner
3- Steve85 - Paul Del Gato Super Condor
4- jjscott - Aeropiccola Spillo 1955
5- SuperGlider07 - Sinbad
6- T.B. - Chuck Anderson Tern from RCM
Last edited by BMatthews; Jun 28, 2020 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2020, 06:16 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Hmm... My choice was easy, or so I thought..! I've another 'lost soul' incoming, a kit, started but lot completed, to be saved from the skip. Upon looking up candidates on OZ, this same glider came up (Tag search for R/C gliders, 36-60 span, pre-1970...). However, I rather think that there's a 'hic' in the tag search, as this entry has no date..! From other searches, I can't see it as pre-'70; it appears to have been kitted early '80s, but I don't know when they were first offered. Here's a picture of the one I've bought (very little cost, I hasten to add...)...

... It's a Multiplex Panda, 2-axis (the original balsa version, not the current ARF Panda...), can be motorised, and I'll be finishing/restoring her in any case. Out of scope, of course, if it's post-1970, but it would have fitted the brief.
I suppose I'll just have to do another tag matrix search, and invest in a pin..! So much to choose from...

Edit : I see my error now; I'd left the Search start date as '0'. When changed to '>1940', the 'No date' results are eliminated. Lesson learned.
Last edited by Dad3353; Jun 26, 2020 at 06:33 AM.
Jun 26, 2020, 11:38 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
I'm in, with a Paul Del Gatto Super Condor modeled after the original Cleveland Condor and available on OZ here. I was completely taken by a beautiful version of this model hanging from the ceiling of our LHS, and resolved to find out what it was and where I could find the plans for it, and now I have the excuse I need to build it!

Photos are from OZ.

Steve
Last edited by Steve85; Jun 27, 2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: por speling...;)
Jun 26, 2020, 02:31 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Y'er on the list Steve.
Jun 26, 2020, 04:33 PM
I'd like to join the party. My choice is the Aeropiccola Spillo from 1955. The original has a 43" span; I'll enlarge it to the 55"-60" range and will use electric power.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9431

My heart wanted me to build something a bit more elegant - like an Ivory Gull or the very pretty French Charognard. My brain won and I'm settling for the simple Spillo - translation: pin or hatpin - named perhaps because of the pod and boom fuselage.

Jim
Jun 27, 2020, 10:31 AM
Bruce, put me down for one of the Sinbad gliders. Will decide which one, 40", 50", or 62" versions are all available on Outerzone.

Sentimental reasons involved here as I do not have either a slope or a thermal field large enough. Back in 1966 in Boulder CO, I was building the 40" Sig kit and trying to get an escapement system installed when I met this girl. Sinbad didn't get finished and somewhere along the line the unfinished kit disappeared. I feel a need to close the circle.

Will post and make my entry official once I decide which one and get started, hopefully next week.

Regards.
Jun 27, 2020, 12:17 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Both of you added to the list.
Jun 27, 2020, 12:35 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscott
…. or the very pretty French Charognard. ….

OK Jim, you got my attention. What does this design look like? It's not on Outerzone and a basic web search isn't turning up anything.
Jun 27, 2020, 01:22 PM
Here are plans, a picture of the Charognard, and a link ( https://sites.google.com/site/assdes...isent/planeurs ) to it and some other vintage gliders. The Charognard is about the third down. Apparently Guy Filliol is a source for a full size plan,but I've not been able to find it.

I cropped and enlarged the plan from the single page French article. There are no fuselage sections shown; it would be possible to get close by referring to the picture. One could certainly build a reasonable copy by scaling up that plan. I've done it before from 8 1/2 x 11 plans. It does take some time and a good calculator.

I have just tile printed the Spillo plan. The page matches are not exact, so some refinement and redrawing is required to get everything straight. So, even with a decent pdf file work is involved if you don't want to make a trip the print shop. I think it's part of the fun in a scratch build.

Jim
Jun 27, 2020, 02:41 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Oh my, that is one great looking model. I hope someone picks up on it. I see that the plan doesn't have the fuselage sections. Is there another page?
Jun 28, 2020, 04:20 AM
*jj
*jj
Can any of our French dwellers tell us, what does Charognard mean? My French doesn't stretch that far ...
Jun 28, 2020, 04:36 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Charognard = Scavenger (think 'Vulture', or 'Carrion Crow', for instance..?)

It's also a military term, and symbolises an épervier, or hawk.
Jun 28, 2020, 01:55 PM
Charognard is also the pilot just behind the leader in the formation in the French aerobatic patrol. As he shall replace the leader the year to come the name of charognard (who heats the dead leader).
Charognard is a carnivore who eat only dyed prey!
Guy
Jun 28, 2020, 04:39 PM
gram obsessive
VGB second half 2020
I'd like to join, please. I want to build a Tern from June 1967 RCM, if it qualifies.
Jun 28, 2020, 10:26 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.B.
VGB second half 2020
I'd like to join, please. I want to build a Tern from June 1967 RCM, if it qualifies.

You've just struck a happy chord with me. I build a Tern way back when in my teens and used it with my old Galloping Ghost rig at the time. Got a pretty good number of flights from it too until a buddy ran too hard in the wind on the towline and snapped the wing and down it came. The radio survived but the model was going to need a LOT of TLC and got set aside and finally into the trash to make room and time for other projects.

I'm happy to see someone taking a liking to the elegantly simple little Tern. Let me know when you get a build thread started and don't forget the VGB in the thread title.

Quick Reply