Apr 27, 2005, 12:01 AM
I'd rather be sleddin!
Thread OP

How to launch big wing?

Howdy Ya'll.
I've just built a 52" Zagnutz (Thanks CTF). I've got a 10oz payload, and it is becoming a chore to launch. Half the time it ends up in the grass immediatly after hand launch.
I've got plans to build a scaled up 96" nutz. My question. Is it possible to hand launch a plane this size and weight? Has anyone experimented with landing gear, or some other launch method?

Thanks
AC

See my latest Nutz AP video here:
www.planevision.com/video/ZagnutzAP.wmv
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2005, 12:09 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
It is possibly, but the easiest way is to bungee.

Don't add gear, its draggy and fragile on most wings.

--Alex
Apr 27, 2005, 07:13 PM
Umm, I hand launch my 93 inch zagnutz,no problem.But only weighs about 45oz.I need to look into a bungee,it would make me less nervous about launching.
Apr 27, 2005, 07:19 PM
The Original Slacker
We launch a 100" Brushless Queen Bee that has a heavy drop box by just taking about a 4 step jog and toss her hard and as far as possible. Also we try to do it down a slope to help the glide.

Check the thread about her:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360060

Fun stuff launching a big one! *sort of*

-Dave
Apr 27, 2005, 07:37 PM
Hmmm.... might need to look at your CG and make sure everything is up to snuff there. It shouldn't dive for the grass with only 10 oz. of payload. I hand launch a 60" ZN style wing with full gear at 54 oz. and it does pretty well, cuts the wind like crazy at that weight too! A 96" wing should have single digit (or at least low double digit) wing loading and be even easier to launch. We have settled on the AXI 28/14/12 as a dandy little power plant for anything up to around 60 oz.

CTF
Your welcome!
Apr 27, 2005, 08:10 PM
I'd rather be sleddin!
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies.
I think CTF hit it on the head. My CG seems to far aft. I will make a few adjustments and let you know how it goes... as soon as it stops raining that is.

AC
Apr 27, 2005, 08:36 PM
Or you could just build a PALS
Apr 28, 2005, 12:55 AM
I'd rather be sleddin!
Thread OP
What is a PALS?
Did a quick search, must have missed something?

BTW sign me up for your planes, or at least a pod when you get finalized. Looks like a terrific design!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364112
AC
Apr 28, 2005, 01:04 PM
I hand launch all my wings...

Right hand on the back & underside (like your a waiter carrying the plane beside your head), left hand on the front to stabalize. eventually holding it right hand only & then throw like a baseball using the back of the plane to push against. (motor off of course)

I do a throw, glide/check & then power-on...
Apr 28, 2005, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic@1M
What is a PALS?
Did a quick search, must have missed something?
This is a PALS!
PALS Page

Here is a clip of a PALS launching a 5 lb ZagNutz wing - the trees are about 80 feet away.

PALS Launch Clip

(P)neumatic (A)ircraft (L)aunching (S)ystem!

CTF
Apr 28, 2005, 05:07 PM
I'd rather be sleddin!
Thread OP
What is the approximate cost of the hardware to build PALS?
I noticed there is a $3.85 shipping fee, does this apply if I DL the instructions?
Thanks
AC
Apr 28, 2005, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic@1M
What is the approximate cost of the hardware to build PALS?
I noticed there is a $3.85 shipping fee, does this apply if I DL the instructions?
Thanks
AC
I actually need to change that, I was sending them out on a mini CD and it cost $3.85 for priority mail. Should only be $10

I think I built that big bazooka for about $60 all up. Good thing is, you can find swim noodles in Wal-Mart right now too! I estimated that a 3' barrel and air chamber would launch a 3 lb wing like a rocket! That way you could also use a bicycle tire pump or one of those little 12V compressors and get it up to pressure pretty quick.

Gene
Apr 28, 2005, 07:05 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer
I actually need to change that, I was sending them out on a mini CD and it cost $3.85 for priority mail. Should only be $10

I think I built that big bazooka for about $60 all up. Good thing is, you can find swim noodles in Wal-Mart right now too! I estimated that a 3' barrel and air chamber would launch a 3 lb wing like a rocket! That way you could also use a bicycle tire pump or one of those little 12V compressors and get it up to pressure pretty quick.

Gene
I think its would be interesting to launch a light, sturdy wing at full pressure.

Any advantages versus a bungee besides extreme coolness? Seems to be a launch similar speed for more cash.

--Alex

Quick Reply