Jun 30, 2020, 10:56 AM
nsr500v
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
The Avanti is not actually a canard. It is a three surface aircraft. In the real thing, the front surface is not used for pitch, but as part of the flap system. The flaps on the forward surface are mixed to automatically deploy with the main wing flaps. This unloads the tailplane when all the flaps are deployed.

Not sure we can take much advantage of this feature with a smallish RC model, but will be fun to experiment. I do plan on adding an elevator to the rear surface of my Simprop Avanti when I get around to it and am going to try to use the canard as more of a landing flap than a pitch surface. Simprop simplified things and did the model as a simple canard.
I would guess it may work in either configuration ,but will wait for the flap wing and front then enlarge it to 1500mm to 1600mm .
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2020, 12:41 PM
Working on a fixed under carriage but not very optimistic that it will fly.
Jul 01, 2020, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
The Avanti is not actually a canard. It is a three surface aircraft. In the real thing, the front surface is not used for pitch, but as part of the flap system....
Edited. Realized that the plane has a conventional T-tail elevator/hor stab.
Last edited by mike_o; Jul 02, 2020 at 03:49 PM.
Jul 01, 2020, 02:02 PM
nsr500v
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdpantherx
Working on a fixed under carriage but not very optimistic that it will fly.
Looks sweet .think I will wait for the rev B wing with flaps and will ad fixed gear for sure. no grass around here
Jul 02, 2020, 12:59 PM
Tail control surfaces with flex pushrods created alot of trouble and I had to open servo slots.
I hope this is also revised during next versions.
Jul 02, 2020, 11:50 PM
nsr500v
Thread OP
Quote:
Tail control surfaces with flex pushrods created alot of trouble and I had to open servo slots.
Yes I was thinking to just mount small servos also and get rid of the cable pushrods , will look at it more this weekend
Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Hi, I can change it so that the servo sits in the tail, out of interest though, what problems did you have? On mine it was one of the easier parts of the build and works quite nicely.

Can you also tell me what printed weight you achieved?

Jon
Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Friction on pushrods was too much making it impossible to have smooth movement. I tried different location for the servos and was not satisfied with flexible pushrod configuration. I would also reccomend a version without rudder as it may save weight. Idid not have chance to measure the weight but finished with fixed under carriage. Probably I will maieden her this week and let you know of the result.
Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer !
Quote:
I would also reccomend a version without rudder as it may save weight.
Agreed. You could use some throttle mixing to compensate
Today, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Agreed. You could use some throttle mixing to compensate
I agree too, at the time I designed it I was working with an old Tx that couldn't handle throttle mixing.

In terms of significant changes to the design, all of these ideas coming through really help. Here's what I have so far:

- A carbon rod(s) lengthways along the fuselage instead of the printed 'spine'. (I try and stay away from carbon where possible)

- Make the print LW-PLA friendly. (hence the carbon)

- Optional Wing flaps, fwd and main wing.

- Move the empennage servos into the tail, make a rudderless version
Today, 04:07 AM
More suggestions:
  • A better way of access for battery. I am afraid screws wont last long as each screw/unscrew process makes the holes larger.
  • Larger wing area. I know this will comprimise the scale apperance but dont think that 67mm lenght of chord(wingtip) will produce any lift given the low reynolds number.
Today, 11:08 AM
Retired CAD guy
There is an old mechanics trick for working with plastic especially when using self tapping screws.

When you do re-assembly you place the screw into the existing hole , where it came from,
BUT THEN ,
you slowly twist it backwards
until you feel it has dropped into or reengaged the ORIGINAL thread.
On;y then cane you re-tighten the screw with out damaging the structure.

You will be reusing the original thread instead of recreating new threads
which just chew up the plastic and weaken the attachment.

This method and the addition of a couple more layers of material at the hole location
should give us more life and more secure fastening points.

Quick Reply