Jun 22, 2020, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

aileron trainer

Phew, just flew a 3rd rebuild of my little aileron trainer!

Perfectly Stable and reasonably balanced on the 1st throw.

Id tried this to teach myself how to fly yank and bank and try a string pull mechanism with a torsion Spring (another Andrew Newton inspiration)

In previous models I'd neglected to educate myself on the concept of the thrust Angle to counteract torque steer thus my previous versions mostly spiraled down shortly after launching.

40in span, 12% armin airfoil with a 6" chord
2200kv 2204 motor with an over engineered 30a esc
32" long
The string pull worked for maybe 2 crashes and then the plastic gear servo stripped I replaced it with a 30" long carbon push rod I got thinner wire and a metal gear servo to try again with the string pull mechanism.

So, I'm going to keep playing with this and start a rebuild with all the components inside a proper hatch and the string pull mechanism with metal gear servo, and a fuse with slightly less drag.

I'm going to cut the carbon tail boom so that the servo is further back to make Room for a hatch it was easy to initially set up the string pull with the servo open

I want a folding prop also
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2020, 08:51 PM
Good start! Keep at it.

6 inch chord and 40 inch span gives you an aspect ratio of 6.67.
That's a bit high for a "trainer".
Increasing chord to 8 inches will go a long way to making it more docile.
Jun 22, 2020, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Ah, thanks! I havent done the math yet but the wing loading must be much higher than my 3 channel motor glider. I would not call the glide slow by any stretch
Jun 23, 2020, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
OK the reason I've been referring to it as a trainer was so that I could train myself on how to fly with ailerons feeling pretty solid in that department!

Have dual rates. Default is 50% throws, a switch flipped gets 100% and 30% expo.

Finally tried 100% and was able to do a few rolls and snap the nose right quick around to where i want it.

Wheeeee
Jun 25, 2020, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
OK time to rebuild the fuse again. As far as proof of concept this straight tube open at both ends with elecktronics taped to the outsides is perfect now time to cut the tail boom to make space for a hatch at the top front and mount all the electronics inside and taper the fuse at front in rear. The wire I used for the 1st attempt at a torsion Spring was 1mm stainless steel I got some 0.7 mm stainless and a metal gear servo going to re implement the string pull
Last edited by skydaddy413; Jun 25, 2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typos
Jun 25, 2020, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Also I just realized that when I rebuilt the wing very successfully I neglected to add the old spar. This is impressive to me considering how I have been ripping this thing I guess but no spar is needed on this short a wingspan the way I build wings. With 43 glue sticks per.
Jun 26, 2020, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydaddy413
Also I just realized that when I rebuilt the wing very successfully I neglected to add the old spar. This is impressive to me considering how I have been ripping this thing I guess but no spar is needed on this short a wingspan the way I build wings. With 43 glue sticks per.
Tips:

Ditch the hot glue. Use Gorilla glue. Dries slower but is much much lighter AND stronger.

Peel the paper from the foam and cover the outside only in light packing tape.

Use 6 or 8 mm internal carbon fiber tube for wing spar. Use 2 mm carbon fiber rods to stiffen strategic areas that might flex (use sparingly).

Do not cut/weaken the tube you're using for the boom. It is a critical structural member. The cross formed by it and the wing spar will be the primary load bearing structure. Make side hatches instead of top hatch, if needed.
Last edited by nuteman; Jun 26, 2020 at 01:09 AM.
Jun 26, 2020, 11:24 AM
I built a light weight aileron trainer. Paper removed and a foam spar as just a spacer.
FT Storch (1 min 39 sec)
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Jun 26, 2020, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
The storch is on my list of one of these days I'll build this flitest thing O along with that little vtail they have the 1 they made up to look like How to Train Your Dragon
Jun 26, 2020, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Nuteman OK OK I should get some gorilla glue I used epoxy to reglue the tail section to another plane as leaving it in the hot Sun made the tail fall off one day. Also used to bond my alu motor mount. The most attractive thing about gorilla glue is that it's lighter and doesnt need to be mixed like epoxy.

I use 8 mm wrapped tubes for all my wings and have used 2mm to reinforce control surfaces when there is flex. Oh I have a specific question about this that ill post. well I already cut about 4" off of the boom (8mm also) I was careful to not split it we will see how it holds up
Last edited by skydaddy413; Jun 26, 2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typos
Jun 27, 2020, 08:52 AM
Thread OP

playing with component layout

I don't really like the esc across from the servo worrying about jitter
Jun 27, 2020, 01:55 PM
Thread OP

this is the boom mount im going with

Added foam to give more surface area to glue as well as stiffen this bit of foam as forward wing mount will be just under the end of the tube where string emerges
Jun 27, 2020, 03:42 PM
The plane boa2110 showed is very pretty and graceful. The problem with a plane with just a light foam spar is that a typical novice will inevitably inadvertently pull a high G turn and the wing will fold mid-flight. Most commonly when the budding pilot starts to get enough confidence to try a roll or loop and just pushes the foam spar past its ability/limit, unintentionally, of course. After seeing this again and again, I just recommend a decent lightweight-yet-strong spar from the get-go. Carbon fiber tube is my favorite for this (square cross section is better, but they're a bit expensive), but a 3/8 inch wooden dowel is a decent second choice if you can't get CF tubes.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:30 PM
I never did pull hard maneuvers while learning. Just remember the lighter you make it the less damage when you crash. Have fun.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds
Jun 27, 2020, 10:16 PM
Thread OP

finished fuselage rebuild

It feels a pound heavier but we will see how it flies tomorrow. String pull elevator included. Well, I have been pulling high g's, loops and rolls and rolling loops. Added a picture to show wings stress so far sans spar. I will make sure I don't have it over any human beings' heads as i wait for it to fold

Quick Reply