Jul 06, 2020, 09:17 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoverSail
I think competition flying would be fantastic (Iím especially enamoured of F5J, those beautiful Maxa 4s what whatnot) but holy, you could it a mortgage for the cost of those ships! They sure look like theyíre worth every penny, but thatís not in the cards in this lifetime I deem.

Arenít even basic DLGs close to $1000CAD at least?
The used market is always available. You can get some nice ships remarkably cheap if you're willing to buy used.

There's always something available, usually you can reach out to the COGG guys, the MATS guys or webbsolution out in BC and they'll have a line on something.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2020, 06:45 PM
Great post Jason.

When I first got started in RC soaring in 2010 I was very intimidated and didn't reach out to fly with others/etc. I got started by watching videos on YouTube and just trial and error in the school field a block from my house.

Once I got up the courage to reach out and started flying with others, I learned a lot and improved quickly. But it really was the competitions that pushed my learning curve and got me addicted to the hobby. If there are no contests, I probably won't still be flying RC soaring today.

It's extremely rare for a sport/hobby where a newcomer to the contest scene can fly with and learn from the pros. Not only can you fly against them to see what is possible in the given air (something you can never see when flying by yourself or just for fun with others), but also get coaching from them for free. I still remember one of the very first contests I went to was Poway (2011?)... total newcomer, first round of the event the smooth master Jun C helps call for me. Of course, I end up sticking my plane in the tallest tree around and didn't finish flying the round... hahaha

Most of the guys are just stoked there are more people joining the hobby. Once you build up these relationships with the guys they become even more important than the flying itself. I can say with confidence, all my closest friends I've met through flying DLGs.

And Jason mentioned travelling... I've travelled to and competed all over Asia, Europe, Australia, North America... and would never have the chance to do that if it weren't for this hobby.

I might be an extreme example, but going to that first DLG contest was life-changing. I literally started ArmSoar and proceeded to drop out of school and move to the other side of the world.
Jul 06, 2020, 07:25 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Wow! Awesome!! So glad you went that first contest.
Jul 06, 2020, 09:09 PM
Service Engine Soon
What I like about Soaring is learning something every time I fly. A contest is a test to see what I have learned.
The more to it that Jason can't put his finger on is that it's not about first place. It's about one's best efforts to achieve the highest level you can. The challenge of you against the mountain. I am only disappointed if I give up and nothing to do with where I place.

If you have been Soaring for a long time you pick up this history of the wonderful Soaring pilots you meet along the way. I have a thousand stories I can tell, a collection that is priceless. And the great examples all these people have been to me. They have made me a better person just by there example. I truly am lucky to have a hobby that has lasted a lifetime and one place, maybe the only place I have ever fit in.
Jul 07, 2020, 11:25 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR

So my question is why itís harder and harder to find contests. And the few contests remaining require extensive travel.
Sorry to bring this up, especially since there are endless threads discussing the topic

There are probably millions of electrons that have been spilled here on that topic, Martin. maybe the answer is somewhere in those posts and maybe not.

Quote:
How about calling them fun-soars and just getting together grill some brats and get some soaring in?
Go for it! Whatever you are passionate about you should try out.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 27, 2020, 03:45 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
I attended the F5J Nats with my daughter the past 2 days and I'm here to say that flying a RC Sailplane contest with your child is a really rewarding experience. We didn't win (didn't come even close) but we knew that would be the case going in. What we did have though was a lot of fun and we met a lot of cool people and got some great coaching (Thanks Jim Monaco!). My daughter improved every single flight.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 27, 2020, 04:06 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
I attended the F5J Nats with my daughter the past 2 days and I'm here to say that flying a RC Sailplane contest with your child is a really rewarding experience. We didn't win (didn't come even close) but we knew that would be the case going in. What we did have though was a lot of fun and we met a lot of cool people and got some great coaching (Thanks Jim Monaco!). My daughter improved every single flight.

Ryan
Good luck tomorrow in F3K!

Quick Reply