Jun 27, 2020, 07:49 AM
Much development of skills will be needed John! Iím looking forward to getting the chance to fly with you and the club. The weather has been abysmal lately!

I think Iíll get a lot of mileage out of the Spectra; thereís a lot to learn. In the meantime I like to watch videos of the Arthobbys and Maxas and so on; theyíre wild.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2020, 08:24 AM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR
Introduction F5J
$175 + shipping for the kit
Rudder - elevator - flaps - motor = donít need a fancy radio with all the bells and mixing whistles

Yellow Jacket 3M & 3.5M
A bit more, but has a composite fuse
Rudder - elevator - spoiler - motor = see above

Two excellent choices, fly remarkably well & great bang for the $

Will they out-soar a $2k moldie? Probably not, but theyíre good enough to stay in the middle of the pack and take a round from the big boys here and there

Most importantly it will get you out flying without breaking the bank

My $0.02

Martian
Exactly right, both of those models are excellent flying airplanes.
Jun 27, 2020, 10:40 AM
Did anyone mention that, at contests, you can get free coaching from your timers?
Jun 27, 2020, 02:49 PM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
Did anyone mention that, at contests, you can get free coaching from your timers?
Thatís an excellent point, on the job training. Back when I started into sailplanes in 1980, I had a lot of excellent Flyers to choose from. Don Clark taught me so many things just by timing for me.
Jun 27, 2020, 03:08 PM
There’s no doubt flying in company is far more instructive than flying alone. The more skilled the company, the more you may learn. Competitions bring out the competitive people. That’s not to say you need to aim to win, or have a fully moulded brand new multi thousand dollar beast. With spares.

Experiencing comps at any level is beneficial. There’s a bunch of 2m res birds that build well, fly great and won’t break the bank. Too many to list and new ones arrive every week. Added bonus, you build it, you know how to fix it!! Of course, there’s the joy of committing aviation with something you built which is a whole different pleasure too.

I believe there are specific class comps for radians too. Now that sounds like fun. Any kind of one make comp can be a great test of skills rather than how deep your pockets are. As always, the guys who are consistent are the guys who fly. A lot. With the same bird. Tuning and time are your friend.

Either way, flying beats not flying whenever possible.
Jun 27, 2020, 06:25 PM
Still circling in sink...
Most other pilots at a competition are happy to coach, teach and encourage a new competitor. I learned an enormous amount from the coaching received in my first two or three years of ALES competitions. Also, the other pilots will probably know the limits of your plane and will quickly understand your skill level. Any flight that shows improving skills or where you are fully utilizing your plane will get anything from a "Nice flying" from your timer, to (very occasionally) a round of applause from whoever's watching. Even the people who are seriously trying to win will take time out to appreciate good flying by others, including newcomers.
Jun 28, 2020, 10:35 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan
DoverSail Is a new Sailplane flier who has joined our very small group of Sailplane fliers in Nova Scotia. Although a previous power flier he has made great strides with his Spectra and is anxious to advance his soaring skills. We are fortunate to have in our small group of Nova Scotians the notorious Whacker who is a skilled builder and proponent of all sailplane types from vintage to state-of the art. including loca lflier Andrew Smith, it adds up to a total of four people whose prime interest is RC Sailplanes.
In the 1980's we had a large group, and had regular Sailplane contests. However. thing have changed and within our club of over 40 members, we only have two who regularly fly sailplanes.

I'm not sure if that is a Canadian exchange rate thing, but whether you have 2 sailplane pilots or 4 you can do informal contests with just a few people that can still be quite valuable and fun. A friend of mine and I do a mini ALES when we are out flying where we each self time our flights and throw out landing spots and try to launch about the same time. If folks don't like self timing a person could get one of those portable speaker things and setup a sound file that talks out a task in consistent intervals and when you land you just listen for the next interval and your score is the prior interval.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 28, 2020, 02:09 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I remember my 1st contest was a hand launch contest and Mark Drela gave a clinic before the contest

I went to show off to everybody whom I never met, how well I could fly and how great I was... It was a humbling experience.

That 1st contest launched the beginning of a 5 year journey from novice to expert.

I would never be half the pilot I am now, without attending contests.
Jun 28, 2020, 02:12 PM
turn, turn, turn.
My 1st contest I went with a crumpled and taped 40" bagged hand launch glider.

Thankfully Phil Barnes took me under his wing that 1st day, and lent me one of his planes and 1 of his radios... And we timed for each other all day.

It was invaluable.

It is something that I have tried to pay forward, time and time again.
Jul 04, 2020, 07:19 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
I have not flown competitively for quite some time. My first sailplane was an Olympic 99 a long time ago. I never got very good but I will say I definitely became a much better pilot, met a lot of great people, learned a lot by just watching pilots and builders better than me and had a lot of just plain fun. Go to a contest. Watch and learn. And have fun.
Jul 05, 2020, 07:38 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Seems to me that those of us going and flying in contests all agree that the experience was both fun and educational.

So my question is why itís harder and harder to find contests. And the few contests remaining require extensive travel.
Sorry to bring this up, especially since there are endless threads discussing the topic

How about calling them fun-soars and just getting together grill some brats and get some soaring in?

Heading out for some airtime before it gets too hot

Martian
Jul 05, 2020, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR
Seems to me that those of us going and flying in contests all agree that the experience was both fun and educational.

So my question is why itís harder and harder to find contests. And the few contests remaining require extensive travel.
Sorry to bring this up, especially since there are endless threads discussing the topic

How about calling them fun-soars and just getting together grill some brats and get some soaring in?

Heading out for some airtime before it gets too hot

Martian
I think you just partially answered your question.

I belong to a club whose very existence is for competition only. I don't compete. I do not care to afford ( though I can ) the traveling/hotel expense to two or three states for a chance to have a plaque. Then there are the rules and the frequent complaining about the rules. Those that complain always seem to be the ones that are looking for some edge to win with. I also do not and will not compete in anything that has a fly off / run off. As far as I am concerned the pilot with the most points at the end of the day is the winner. No need to give someone with a lower score a lucky break by having a fly off.

Ultimately, I chose to not compete due to inner politics and poor judgement I saw my club make in regards to another pilot.

So....I see where there are several levels of competition, Friendly and Dead Serious. The Dead Serious guys ruin it for everyone else but a club has to decide which it wants to be. Dead Serious competitions bring in the pilots, and the money the club needs.
Jul 05, 2020, 08:16 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
I think you just partially answered your question.

I belong to a club whose very existence is for competition only. I don't compete. I do not care to afford ( though I can ) the traveling/hotel expense to two or three states for a chance to have a plaque. Then there are the rules and the frequent complaining about the rules. Those that complain always seem to be the ones that are looking for some edge to win with. I also do not and will not compete in anything that has a fly off / run off. As far as I am concerned the pilot with the most points at the end of the day is the winner. No need to give someone with a lower score a lucky break by having a fly off.

Ultimately, I chose to not compete due to inner politics and poor judgement I saw my club make in regards to another pilot.

So....I see where there are several levels of competition, Friendly and Dead Serious. The Dead Serious guys ruin it for everyone else but a club has to decide which it wants to be. Dead Serious competitions bring in the pilots, and the money the club needs.
That's only 2, and I agree there are several.

I've always been a dead serious pilot even as a novice... But my goals were not to win, so 2nd place wasn't that bad.
What kept me coming back, were the small pockets of competition I formed between pilots of similar skill levels, and the race to become an expert was on.

Chasing a higher skill level with the same group of pilots from contest to contest, was very enjoyable... And my circle of friends grew larger.
Jul 06, 2020, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Making the target time with perhaps a low save is a great endorphin rush. It's more than just a "that was fun" moment, you get a "THAT WAS AMAZING!!!" moment.
Add adrenaline to that

Great post, Jason. Every morning of a contest I feel like it's Christmas, only better! I absolutely love the challenge and strive to improve, but it's meeting like minded folks and sharing in the experience over time that really makes it worth it. Can't wait for the next one in three weeks.
Last edited by JoeCube; Jul 06, 2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Premature selection of the submit button due to neuron misfire
Jul 06, 2020, 04:37 AM
I flew a few relaxed competitions (slope and flat field) and learned a lot. I am also fortunate to be friends with some of the top fellows over here and that also helps me progress

Quick Reply