Jun 21, 2020, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Vq model hurricane 60

Hi all I am thinking off buying a vq model hurricane 60 . Can I fit other retracts with oleo or do you have to use the vq ones?

Thanks Alex
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2020, 01:55 PM
I had a VQ 60 size Hurricane. I fitted Spring Air retracts and Robart struts. The worked fine. You will have to do some alterations. Had a Magnum 91 four stroke. Then later a DLE 20, as it needed the weight up front. Unlimited vertical but otherwise flew the same as I replace the lead with cubic inches.
Jul 02, 2020, 08:56 PM
What are the thoughts about putting a 91 two stroke in it? Guessing it can use the nose weight and extra power might not hurt as long as it would fit? Have a NIB Thunder Tiger 91 PRO I may use.
Jul 03, 2020, 06:51 AM
I think a 91 two stroke would work fine. Needs the weight. If it would fit. If I could shoehorn DLE 20 in, you should be able to do the 91 two stroke. Even with the DLE I had to put the batteries up front to get the cg correct.
Aug 01, 2020, 09:21 AM
I have this one in line to assemble...eventually. I'm using the O.S. GT15cc gas engine. It runs infinitely smoother than a DLE and has at least as much power. I had it on a P51, and it was a rocket ship at anything above half throttle...until the Graupner Tx/Rx decided they weren't going to talk to each other that day.
Aug 02, 2020, 10:10 PM
I just started on the newer version with hatch. Planning on a dle 20 as well. I’m trying to sort out the retracts too. Not sure if I wanna do the ones vq has for it.
Aug 10, 2020, 06:51 PM

Some pics

Just some pics from the build so far.
Aug 14, 2020, 12:21 AM
I'm thinking of getting one. But one reviewer had major issues with the wing spars snapping off on two separate landings (cost him two wings). What's your assessment of the wing/spar strength and overall general design?

Did you make the canopy slide or it came that way?
Aug 14, 2020, 08:17 AM
I saw that review and it looked like he didn’t glue the wing together and made it removable. Unless I read that wrong. The wing should be fine if epoxied together. I’m reinforcing the mount where the wing bolts in too.
No cut the canopy will just remain open. I’ve seen a few people do it that way without issue. It normally comes fully intact. I’ll canopy glue and put some small screws in. I also reinforced the Frame with some carbon tow.

I’m going to start a new thread with my build pics. So I‘m not hijacking this one.
Aug 14, 2020, 02:24 PM
OK, sound good. Motion RC is selling the same model under different name, but they mention "huge Hatch". I see small hatch in your pix. So please show hatch in your thread...See you there.
Mar 12, 2021, 02:07 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I maidened mine today. It is the VQ version and not the Nexa. I made my own hatch. As for the wing spars-- they are plenty strong as the wings are meant to be epoxied together. Mine is electric and over 10 lbs and the wings held up to multiple scale size loops and wheel landings.

Link to the report of my maiden flights: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=869

Quick Reply