New ELF Pro EL 1M Electric!

There is an electric version of the ELF coming that will allow higher launches and more glide time.

Splash

The ELF Gets a Power Boost

The ELF is a great entry level DLG that flys great, looks cool and is easy to setup and work on. I've seen Junior pilots start out with the ELF and love seeing their joy when catching their first thermals. Now there is an electric version coming that will allow higher launches and more glide time. It's a tiny plane that you can pack up and take anywhere and I expect the electric version to be very popular.

Most of the construction is done when it arrives with the wing pre-covered, fuselage assembled, pushrods installed and the stabs are ready to go. You can get it up and running in about half an hour. The ELF Pro EL will be available the end of July for $228.

Specifications:

• Wing Span: 39"
  • Wing Area: 181 sq. in.
  • Flying Weight: 4.4 oz.
  • Wing Loading: 3.44 oz./sq. ft.*
  • Airfoil: AG12, AG13, AG14
  • Controls: Rudder, Elevator, Motor

Check out the ELF Pro EL Here

Jun 22, 2020, 10:45 AM
Liking the color of that first wing. Gonna be getting one of these.
Jun 22, 2020, 12:53 PM
Team WarpSquad
Very, very cool! I’ve been dreaming about an electric 1m DLG for years.

Love hat it will use the popular 2S 300mAh LiPo size. Should give it great performance and endurance.

I’m also curious to see the final spinner design. Based on these renderings, it looks like the folding prop hub will attach t-mount style, with a centering shaft and two bolts, like the ever popular tiny brushless motors used in micro quads.

My only reservation is that it would be even cooler if it retained a launch blade, so that it could be used both as a DLG and as an electric glider.
Jun 22, 2020, 01:46 PM
Team Falcon
Any idea what is included with the $228 price? Motor, prop, spinner, speed control? None?

Maybe they will have a companion accessory package to make it easy to get started.

I've had a couple of Elfs (Elves?) over the years, they are great fun!

Jason
Jun 22, 2020, 02:01 PM
Just Plane Nuts
Nice. Need to know what's included. One bladed prop?
Jun 22, 2020, 02:26 PM
Kennedy’s site has the power package listed for 63 dollars.
Jun 22, 2020, 04:31 PM
If it flies I like it.
Great idea! As a long-time Elf flyer, I think this is a great addition to complement the Elf. Slick mounting on the prop/spinner/motor unit to save space. On a 100 degree day this will be much easier than DLG launching all afternoon, especially for geezers like me. Far under 8.8 ozs so no FAA Registration needed, and does not fall under the proposed Remote ID Rule either.
Last edited by HotdogX; Jun 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM.
Jun 22, 2020, 09:28 PM
in awe of glide...
I predict there will be many more Elves lost now that they'll be able to launch much higher!
Jun 23, 2020, 01:32 AM
Tarot 550/600 & OMPHobby UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louierc
One bladed prop?
No, two blades. The close up view is a cross section (cut down the middle) so one blade has been cut away in that view.
Jun 23, 2020, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm

My only reservation is that it would be even cooler if it retained a launch blade, so that it could be used both as a DLG and as an electric glider.
You would also need to retain the DLG fin as well.
Jun 23, 2020, 08:56 PM
I am actually wondering about just taking the motor off, adding a peg and slinging it into the air.

Of course, one would have to figure out the balance and all.
Jun 23, 2020, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
I am actually wondering about just taking the motor off, adding a peg and slinging it into the air.

Of course, one would have to figure out the balance and all.
I would think the best option would be to buy a DLG Elf and then get an ELF Pro EL fuselage set, once the spare parts are available. That assumes that the wing mounting is the same.

I find it interesting that they moved away from the flying horizontal stab to one with an elevator. But, this setup seems more robust and easier to disassemble. In the perfect world it would have a 2 piece wing. Add a Taranis X-lite and pack into a small rifle case for a great travel glider.

In any case I hope to have one as it is in late July.
Jun 24, 2020, 03:55 PM
I already have the original ELF wing and it would be interesting to see if the wing fits the new boom/pod. Having a boom/pod with some extra space in it would be nice so yes, I may well get boom/pod tail feathers as parts.

My one concern is the original ELF boom is not up to taking much of a pounding and often broke inside of the pod. With the motor added I do wonder if Vladimir went with a beefier CF boom?
Jun 24, 2020, 04:15 PM
If you are looking for more specs and information on the ELF Pro EL, here is a link to the manufacturer.

Vladimir's ELF Pro EL
Jun 26, 2020, 08:33 AM
in awe of glide...
It is a little pitchy w the full flying stab but prob most efficient once dialed in.

Agree, a fixed stab and elevator is a good choice for motor glider.

The Elf is a very capable little glider! I will be tempted to 'land one' in my hanger!

Quick Reply