Jun 19, 2020, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc
Do you mean anything over 250 grams? cause everything over that weight is what is suppose to be Tagged with this ID crap.
I have a 70cc gasser a super sporster 160 and 3.5m glider. I would stick to planes 60 inch and smaller. And fly away from clubs.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2020, 10:12 PM
31 yrs. of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaboy92hatch
I have a 70cc gasser a super sporster 160 and 3.5m glider. I would stick to planes 60 inch and smaller. And fly away from clubs.
That might be what we all end up having to do, i sure hope not.
Jun 22, 2020, 06:21 PM
I watched the same AMA AIR video. It is interesting in what Tyler said and he did not say. First the FAA, DOD DHS are all involved in this. The schedule they are now working is to have a final rule in place by the end of the year. Tyler said the AMA is pushing for an app solution vs an on board equipment solution. He also said they were working for FRIA approval not to have expiration dates.

What he did not say is the AMA is working to get recreational RC flying exempt. He also did not say anything about limiting to FRIA sites nor about future sites.

My take a way is the AMA now knows there will be RID for all aircraft. There will not be an exemption for recreational RC. FRIA will be the only place you can fly. I may be wrong with all of this, but the fact he never talked about these is concerning. With all of this FAA stuff, the AMA has always taken the position to not spook the herd. I would rather work with facts than trying to spin all of this. I still think the EAA will be more help than the AMA.
Jun 22, 2020, 09:49 PM
Put the RID on your dog or kid and fly your plane.
Jun 23, 2020, 07:45 AM
model aviation is not a crime
RID in terms of security is akin to gun free zones, with the failure being criminal minded do not follow laws

and still, say my 4lb plane or 6lb heli is broadcasting RID info for my 4 minute flight, by the time the network info is populated I'll be back on the ground

not to mention I fly lower than 90% of the trees in the area, I'm pretty certain I'll be contacting 911 to report a crash if a full scale gets down this low

and i fly on private property, SCOTUS ruled we have no reasonable expectation of privacy overhead and that works both ways, so then, what is this RID nonsense really all about
Jun 23, 2020, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainold
...so then, what is this RID nonsense really all about?
The bureaucratic imperative to "Do Something"...
Jun 23, 2020, 09:27 AM
What is RID all about? Well with the FAA, DOD and DHS involved, the catch phase is for national security. Our government continues to market the idea if they make it illegal, we will all be safe. Buy pushing this public line, the ever increasing size and cost of government is supported by the voters.

When this all started I thought it was to minimize a conflict with manned aircraft. RID provides no data to ATC or ADS-B. So, now I believe it has a totally different purpose.
Jun 23, 2020, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray93J
When this all started I thought it was to minimize a conflict with manned aircraft. RID provides no data to ATC or ADS-B. So, now I believe it has a totally different purpose.
That's an important point, and one I think many have missed. RID provides no data manned aircraft will receive (unless specially equipped), and altitude limits are mentioned NOWHERE in the RID NPRM.

So RID has nothing to do with deconflicting drones with manned aircraft. It's about UNMANNED traffic management, as well as security and law enforcement.
Jun 23, 2020, 11:38 AM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupez
That's an important point, and one I think many have missed. RID provides no data manned aircraft will receive (unless specially equipped), and altitude limits are mentioned NOWHERE in the RID NPRM.
True. However, Part 107 has clear altitude limits and Section 349 also has altitude limits.
Jun 23, 2020, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
True. However, Part 107 has clear altitude limits and Section 349 also has altitude limits.
I'm not saying altitude limits don't apply.

I am saying RID has nothing to do with them. The two issues are decoupled.
Jun 23, 2020, 12:35 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupez
I'm not saying altitude limits don't apply.

I am saying RID has nothing to do with them. The two issues are decoupled.
True. I have seen people who think RID will allow flight above those limits without waivers however. And the Limited category does state a limit since it onlly allows operations within a 400-foot "bubble" around the pilot.
Jun 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I won't, because I'm not willing to cave to this authoritarian BS. I will, however, put a pirate flag decal on the tail of every airplane I own and keep flying.

That'll be my protest. A fair bit more peaceful than some of the others that've been going on.
+ 1

Itís time for some good ol fashioned civil disobedience.
Jun 24, 2020, 01:44 PM
In France the RID requirement is mandatory from next Monday (29th June). Even though no RID equipment yet exists.
Jun 24, 2020, 07:50 PM
Team Futaba
Kind of like California requiring microstamping identification info on all center-fire pistol cartridges. Sounds great, but the technology does not exist to do it.
Jun 25, 2020, 12:17 AM
Over 50,000 that isn't very much. And you know that there is more then that! So not many will register so they going to do? And with people modding the antennas on these new Jumpers T18's is not going to play favor for the rc community with the FAA. Isn't modding certain things on a rc transmitter against the law? I could be wrong.

Quick Reply